From Solid Gold, to Canidae.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
calicok9
Adolescent Bully

From Solid Gold, to Canidae.

Postby calicok9 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:25 pm

Well, the price was a big motivator to be honest. And some people really swear by CANIDAE dog food.

Solid Gold WOLF KING has been our choice, since it was suggested HERE by people.

Just lately, the price went up several dollars, for the 33lb bag of WOLF KING, so it's like $46.50 now at the locally owned specialty petfood shop. While CANIDAE is like, $36 for a 40lb bag. Good value, since it's a high quality food too, so I thought.

Eversince the change, my dog eats several bowls of Canidae a day, and still thinks he is starving constantly. It seems to be less filling, so he has to eat much more. Which kinda makes the whole value thing, not as good as I thought.

Anyone else experience this? What is suggested? I'm guessing his next bag will be WOLF KING again, just really wanted to save the few bucks.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:31 pm

Maybe he likes it better so wants more of it!! lol
We don't listen or pay attention to dogs who want to eat beyond the suggested amount, that we've tailored to their needs.
You shouldn't get in the habit of feeding your dog extra in between meals, just continue to feed his normal amount and if he loses weight, that's a problem, but more likely than not, he won't on his normal amt. of food.
Canidae is a good quality food.

cayennes_momma
Newborn Bully

Postby cayennes_momma » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:37 pm

Are you sure your dog is still hungry? Cayenne will constantly go up to her bowl and lick it, acting like she's hungry, but she's not really. She just loves food. She'd be a very obese dog if we fed her every time she started acting hungry.

I would say don't change the amount you feed him by much, but keep an eye on his weight to see if he needs more or less.

calicok9
Adolescent Bully

Postby calicok9 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:49 pm

Thanks very much for the replies. It feels very reassuring that he is not actually starving. LOL Maybe he really does enjoy the Canidae more!! I didn't even this of that. I really do think his weight is staying pretty stable, even eating more than he was with the WOLFKING.

He just seems to chow much more, clearing out his food bowl, and begging for more, constantly... As well as begging us people for OUR dinners. Which he'd do anyway, but seemingly much more now. I guess he is quite spoiled, to be honest. The last thing I want to think, is he is sitting around starving or something. Lol!!

Might just stick with the Canidae. Still considering this one. Always good to easily find help from others here. :)

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:26 pm

Copper is the same way - he could eat all day and night.
(He's a senior Dachshund)
It would take weeks to see a big difference in weight and maybe you'd notice it only if you too a succession of photos.
Be careful with that.
Add water to the dogs' food, that'll slow him down so he's not scarfing it down.

Michael
Super Bully

Postby Michael » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:07 pm

I have been thinking the same thing, My dogs never seem satisfied with canidae, they look good and are healthy. They just act like they are always hungry :))

I have been watching for another brand that is high quality and the same value.

I don't think there is one :frown:

I was also thinking of getting some large bones for them to chew on between meals.

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:23 pm

Dogs are always starving, don't you know? lol

Seriously, our dogs are started on the Hundchenflocken (Solid Gold) by the breeder, and we switch them to Canidae when they come here. Mine have always eaten with gusto, so I don't worry about them polishing off a bowl in 30 seconds flat.

rednoseErnie
Forum Junky

Postby rednoseErnie » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:59 pm

I think Canidae is slightly better quality and much better value than the SG Hund N Flocken. Unless the dog is losing weight, I don't think hes starving. :) Maybe supplement with a few small training treats so he thinks hes getting something special and stops begging.

Return to “Health Issues”