Newman's Own?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Megan
Bully Lover 4 Life

Newman's Own?

Postby Megan » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:15 am

This is a food my work just started carrying(Grocery store), was walking through the pet isle and saw a food I didn't see before.

For being a grocery store food, it looks pretty decent I think? I don't know much abotu food though, and just follow what you guys say is good.

What i like is they donated money to rescues/shelters. Including Best Friends animal Sanctuary.

Any thoughts?

here's the adult formula:
Chicken, Organic Barley, Organic Oats, Organic Peas, Chicken Meal, Organic Sorghum, Organic Soybean Meal, Chicken Fat (Naturally Stabilized with Mixed Tocopherols [a Source of Vitamin E]), Organic Brown Rice, Organic Millet, Organic Rice, Organic Flax Seed, Dicalcium Phosphate, Organic Carrots, Chicken Liver, Sea Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Dried Kelp, Parsley, Zinc Amino Acid Complex (Source of Chelated Zinc), Choline Chloride, Iron Amino Acid Complex (Source of Chelated Iron), Vitamin E Supplement, Rosemary Extract, Manganese Amino Acid Complex (Source of Chelated Manganese), Lecithin, Copper Amino Acid Complex (Source of Chelated Copper), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (Source of Vitamin C), Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamin Hydrochloride, Biotin, Cobalt Proteinate (Source of Chelated Cobalt), Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide (Source of Iodine), Vitamin K Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Dehydrated Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dehydrated Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Product, Dehydrated Bifidobacterium Thermophilum Fermentation Product, Dehydrated Bifidobacterium Pseudolongum Fermentation Product, Dehydrated Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product.

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:

Crude Protein................21.0% (min)
Crude Fat......................12.0% (min)
Crude Fiber.....................4.5% (max)
Moisture........................10.0% (max)

CALORIC VALUE:

As fed (Kcal/cup)...........397

Good or not; it won't work for us..as I believe Gavin has a chicken allergy..but it may be an option for others if it's decent?

http://www.newmansownorganics.com/pet/p ... #adult_dog

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:31 am

I wouldn't feed soybeans to a dog :dunno:

OkieDaLaPitMoma
Matured Bully

Postby OkieDaLaPitMoma » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:19 pm

If any type of meal islisted on the first 10 items used in a dog food, I wouldnt use it.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:23 pm

Chicken MEAL is ok, as long as it isn't a "meat and bone meal" type thing, but soybean meal isn't OK since Soybeans cause diarrhea, bloating and gas in dogs.

6pak
Bully Ambassador

Postby 6pak » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:56 pm

OkieDaLaPitMoma wrote:If any type of meal islisted on the first 10 items used in a dog food, I wouldnt use it.

What? :huh?:

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:20 pm

OkieDaLaPitMoma wrote:If any type of meal islisted on the first 10 items used in a dog food, I wouldn't use it.

Chicken meal is condensed chicken - not a bad thing (just water taken out)

Fish meal isn't bad

"Meat and Bone" meal isn't good - what kinds of animals is this meat and bone coming from??

Vague ingredients are never good :)

snoopsnoop
Forum Junky

Postby snoopsnoop » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:32 pm

Personally, once a grocery food, always a grocery food. I guess if a person is in a bind, then it'd work, but I'm with yvette, as I wont feed soybeans to a dog, organic or not.

And there's too much grain/filler in it for my liking. Since the chicken (not meal) is listed first, and ingredients are done by weight and 70% of chicken is water, there's not as much chicken in the food as the company would like the consumer to believe.

rednoseErnie
Forum Junky

Postby rednoseErnie » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:48 pm

Whats wrong with soybeans?

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:03 pm

Cheap protein source.
Gas, bloating, diarrhea, to name a few issues.

snoopsnoop
Forum Junky

Postby snoopsnoop » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:05 pm

To add to that, I've heard soybeans can be an allergen. Not as common as say a wheat allergy, but still potential for problems.

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:20 pm

Newman's Own Organics is SO expensive for the ingredients you get. They sell this at pet shops, as well as grocery stores. The product is not 100% organic.

A 7 pound bag of Newman's Own kibble is $20 here; $2.86 per pound.

A 6 pound bag of Premium Edge Chicken/Rice/Vegetable kibble is $10, or $1.67 per pound, and features chicken and chicken meal as the first two ingredients. Yes, the grains are not whole grains, but look at the price difference. This is an inexpensive food that also has no corn, wheat, or soy in it, which might make it a good option for some folks:

Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearled barley, white rice, turkey meal, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), oatmeal, potatoes, millet, egg product, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, kelp, carrots, peas, tomatoes, apples, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chicory root, vitamins, minerals, chelated minerals, supplements.

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:31 pm

I've been feeding Newman's Own to my cats because Innova got so expensive and their poo was rather smelly. And it was readily available here. I have to say, the smelly poos are gone and they are doing well on it...but I pay $12 for 7 lbs, and that's just not worth it for the ingredients. The dogs are doing well on Canidae, so I decided to order some Felidae for the kitties.

Return to “Health Issues”