Poop eating in pups

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Poop eating in pups

Postby Maryellen » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:06 pm

anyone have one? or any remedies? i have never had a pup here that ate its own poop.. Ruby has decided over the past few days that her poop is edible.. HELP...

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:17 pm

On it's me or the dog she suggested to feed pineapple. I guess it is supposed to make the poop taste or smell bad to them :dunno:

My parents always seem to end up with poop eaters and she has tried that dis tatse stuff I think it is called. It has never worked.

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:27 pm

Shelby was doing it, too. Meat Tenderizer is supposed to help but we never tried it. She kinda grew out of it, but I think she was doing it because she wanted a mid-morning snack. Once we got her up to a proper weight, I haven't seen her do it.

I just try to keep the yard as clean as I can, and always watch her outside so I can discourage her if she goes for a poo nugget.

El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby El_EmDubya » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:47 pm

It is a Vit B deficiency .... search Fransterdoo's postings for more info on Pete the Chiweewee.

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:56 pm

Pineapple worked for Terra. A spoonful with each meal. Pumpkin is supposed to produce similar results, but I don't know. It didn't correct the behavior, but it at least stopped her from eating her poo while she was on the pineapple. Otherwise, I just make sure I keep the yard scooped as best I can.

wyldmoonwoman
Adolescent Bully

Postby wyldmoonwoman » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:08 am

Sparky was a poop eater as a pup...he out grew it...we tried all the remedies out there and nothing worked, especially over the winter when the poops were frozen...he would try to bring them in...vigillant poop scooping is in order! (and no Ruby Kisses!)

Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:25 am

EL_EmDubya wrote:It is a Vit B deficiency .... search Fransterdoo's postings for more info on Pete the Chiweewee.

Not always. There are tons of different reasons why dogs eat their poop, not always related to a deficiency. Sometimes it is just a neurotic behavior.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:30 am

hmmm she just started this a few days ago right after she was diagnosed with her UTI and put on clavamox.. is it possible the antibiotics is doing this??

she never ate her poop the first week i had her, and she ate raw since she was weaned,and i kept her on raw and she didnt eat her poop ever until she was diagnosed with her UTI and put on antibiotics.

she eats raw, so i am thinking of maybe doing innova puppy food at night and raw in the morning ..

or just adding vitamin B?

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:32 am

i scoop her poop right after she goes when she goes back in the house, so her spot in the yard is clean with no poop laying around..

she did throw up poop in her crate the other day mixed with grass, i am wondering if that time she pooped in her crate and ate it to keep her crate clean... jesse did that as a pup if she pooped in her crate she would eat it and then throw it up outside. or in the house if she couldnt make it outside in time

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:19 am

Vicki ate her poop as a pup because she is ANAL about not pooping/peeing in the house, and always has been. I can count the times on one hand that she has done it, and she was sick all times.

As soon as she got old enough to hold her poop until she was let out, the poop eating stopped, and she would only eat it if she pooped in her room.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:26 am

Speaking from experience which I'd rather not get into, we gave Vit. B to our poo eaters and it made absolutely no difference.
It can be neurotic symptoms or even THEY think they are still hungry.
Remember Clavamox is a stomach irritant and an irritated stomach feels empty.
So she may think she needs to eat more in order to fix the irritated stomach.

We're still waiting to see if the DisTaste tablets work...

http://pet-supplies.drsfostersmith.com/ ... total=0.00

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:54 am

she never touched her poop until she was put on the clavamox. now she is eating grass more, and munching on her poop, and i make sure she gets her clavamox with a pound of raw in the morning and a pound at night, so she does have a full stomach.. i am hoping that once she is off the clavamox she stops, as she didnt do it before the clavamox.. oh the joys of puppyhood again LOL

Dallas
Newborn Bully

Postby Dallas » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:48 am

Ok, I really do not see the logic with giving your dog something to make his poop smell/taste bad. I mean, its poop! How much more bad tasting/smelling can it get?

My dog is 16 months old and he still eats his poop. He is the phantom pooper. You take your eyes off of him for a minute and he will poop without you realizing that its there until you catch him eating it. Either that or another dog is jumping the fence overnight just to poop in our yard.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:06 pm

That's just it...to dogs, poop isn't distasteful. They LIKE it.

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:35 pm

ME, Jake ate his poop when he was a puppy and thankfully he stopped.

Try the pineapple. I am interested to see if it works.

Return to “Health Issues”