Nutro Max to Innova to Nature's Variety

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
jacobs_mom
Newborn Bully

Nutro Max to Innova to Nature's Variety

Postby jacobs_mom » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:26 pm

Like I said in my new member intro, my 5-month-old has a sensitive stomach. Before I adopted him, his foster mom fed him Nutro Max wet and dry puppy food. I continued to feed him Nutro Max dry puppy food, but for several weeks now, I've researched switching his food.

My friend's lab/hound mix also has a sensitive stomach and she's on Innova. I spoke to his previous vet (via the rescue org) and they said Innova was okay, but after beginning to switch his food, I noticed that his breath got worse and his farts were more heinous than usual. After more research, I decided on Nature's Variety and I started to switch his food again (mixing the Nutro Max, a little of the Innova, and a little of Nature's Variety venison), but he woke up early morning and pooped in the hallway at 4 in the morning. After I cleaned it up and took him outside, he definitely had diarrhea. He's housebroken and usually whines to wake me up in the morning so I assume he's sick since he didn't give me any warning.

He's been very lethargic all day, just sleeping on the couch or floor, with the occasional playing with his toys. My dad visited and he was his usual excited self. It seemed like he didn't drink a lot of water today, but his pee seemed normal. He hasn't thrown up, and I didn't feed him anything today except a little bit of rice and boiled chicken this evening.

I don't know if it's all the switching of the food or if he ate something that didn't sit well (he's chewed things up like the rubber and felt of a tennis ball that eventually came out the other way) or if it's the Nutro Max, which makes him go to the bathroom twice for every meal. I'm trying to find the right food for him, but I'm afraid that maybe behind all this food, I'm missing something like worms or another illness.

My puppy has already gotten his rabies vaccine, is microchipped and is neutered. He had worms back in February, but at his last visit at the end of February, there were gone.

Right now I'm looking for another vet, one who lives closer to my house. I'm deciding between two and of course, the vets recommend Science Diet. I also haven't brought him to see a vet since he hasn't thrown up and usually after some fasting and then rice/chicken, he's okay again.

Any advice would be helpful. Thank you!

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:34 pm

I would give him some time to adjust to one food before switching again. Gradually make the switch by mixing foods, and you can use plain yogurt to help control gas and improve digestion. By switching foods all willy-nilly, you're likely to upset his tummy even more.

It can often take several weeks to see improvement on a dog that has switched to higher quality food. Sometimes they will seem worse before they get better...due to the crappy food Detox.

Personally, I would stick with the Innova/Nutro mixture until it is straight Innova. Gas is easily treatable with yogurt. If after a couple of weeks you see no improvement, then I would switch to something else.

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:59 pm

:goodpost:

You have to give new food some time before you decide to change again. Some dogs will go through a "detox" period when being switched to a better food as they clear out all the old crap.

jacobs_mom
Newborn Bully

Postby jacobs_mom » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:57 am

Thanks for the advice! When my friend said they switched her food over two weeks, I didn't realize that it'd be several more weeks for the "detox" period.

Should I give him plain yogurt during the food switch or should I wait til after it's been switched?

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:10 am

if he did good on the first food go back to it. if it aint broke dont fix it...

jacobs_mom
Newborn Bully

Postby jacobs_mom » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:00 pm

He was okay on Nutro Max, but he was pooping 6 times a day. That can't be that good.

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:40 pm

Nutro Max is a low quality food, I would definitely recommend the Innova. Just give a spoonful of plain yogurt with every meal.

Return to “Health Issues”