Leptospirosis

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
My Mojo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Leptospirosis

Postby My Mojo » Fri May 02, 2008 12:53 pm

Has anyone here experienced it first hand in their clinic or with their pet?

If so, what symptoms did the patient/pet exhibit, how was it treated(suspected early on or a more advanced case) and what was the outcome?

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Fri May 02, 2008 5:23 pm

Usually the "telltale" signs are lethargy, fever, and urinating brown (obviously bloody) fluid. The NCSU vet school sees about 2-3 lepto. cases a month.

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Fri May 02, 2008 5:24 pm

Oh, I forgot to mention that it's treated with a (long) round of antibiotics and the outlook is typically good if the dog was in overall good health prior to infection and it was caught relatively early.

Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Fri May 02, 2008 5:25 pm

Also, it's zoonotic! So you can catch it from your dog.

My Mojo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby My Mojo » Fri May 02, 2008 7:02 pm

We had a case recently where the dog came in sick with vomiting, diarrhea..lathargic, weak.

He was negative of parvo, parasites, heartworms..so bloodwork was ran and BUN/Crea levels were elevated.

Urine was checked for the off chance of finding coffins(crystals from antifreeze poisoning) but saw nothing.

After seeing particularly golden urine, he was tested off for lepto.

Finally after just a couple days he plummeted and had labored breathing and finally vomiting blood.

Haven't heard back about the test, but we all used extreme caution while attending him. It all happened so fast, just curious if that is how lepto progresses.

KilliansIrishRed
Newborn Bully

Postby KilliansIrishRed » Fri May 02, 2008 10:05 pm

One of our Danes got Lepto a couple years back.. It set in very fast, and she was extremely lethargic ( as in we had to carry her to the car because she wouldnt get up)

Thankfully we caught it early, so she recovered very well from it and somehow none of the other dogs got it.. Our vet said more than likely she had gotten it from racoon urine :(

ZiggysMom
Super Bully

Postby ZiggysMom » Fri May 02, 2008 11:18 pm

lepto can be sneaky... I've never seen a weird case, but my teachers said they'd seen some cases that really were sneaky and started out looking like something totally different... just some vomiting and diarrhea for instance, with nothing showing up on blood work until later when it had gotten worse.

The one case I've seen since moving to California was in pretty bad shape and needed plasma transfusions, but he made it.

My Mojo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby My Mojo » Sat May 03, 2008 8:50 am

We'll wait and see what the lab says. This particular animal had access to all forms of wildlife from raccoons to foxes..deer..bear..you name it. Poor guy.

Shanda
Addicted to PBF

Postby Shanda » Sun May 04, 2008 4:18 pm

We had an unconfirmed positive about two months ago. Only one portion of the panel came back positive, which didn't make any sense. The dog was symptomatic, and treated as if she was confirmed case, and survived.

We also had a report from the AVMA that Lepto is on the rise again. Something of a concern to me as my dogs are not vaccinated for it, I wished to avoid the reactive qualities of the vaccine. I am not going to vaccinate them at this time, either, I intend to wait & see what further reports some out.

Return to “Health Issues”