Ripping Stopper Pads and Cracking Nails

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
pjrocco
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Ripping Stopper Pads and Cracking Nails

Postby pjrocco » Fri May 09, 2008 9:29 am

My male is an insane character. He has the highest drive I have ever seen in a dog. He goes 100% all the time and he puts his body at risk daily. He is like the crazy skateboarder that comes home to his parents with new cuts, bruises and scars every day.

We are constantly fighting with his stopper pads. He keeps ripping the pad itself and the area around it. This last time his basically ripped half of one off! He also keeps cracking his nails and just overall beating himself up. We have limited his play and work out time so he could heal up, but it's very hard.

We tried putting some tape around his stoppers but with one slide on the grass or carpet it comes right off. We talked to the vet and his answer is to not let him play so rough, but that is pretty much impossible and not fair to him. Do you guys have any ideas of I can protect his stoppers and paws while playing and/or working out?

Here's what I'm talking about:

I got the ball!!!

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri May 09, 2008 9:34 am

Stopper pad??

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri May 09, 2008 9:35 am

Annika
Addicted to PBF

Postby Annika » Fri May 09, 2008 9:51 am

Rachel (rgyoung77) puts a kind of brace on Lucy's wrists for this purpose, the braces look like they stay very firmly in place and protect the stopper pads when Lucy grinds across the grass after her ball. If she doesn't find this post you should PM her.

You say he gives 100% to everything....and he looks it. It may be stressful for you to see him hurt himself but I have to say, WOW is he in fantastic shape. You can TELL he never stops moving.

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Fri May 09, 2008 12:50 pm

I have used Vetwrap, the same stuff I used to use on my horse sometimes. They make a lot of good protective products for horses but not a lot for dogs.
Just make sure you don't wrap too tightly or in the wrong direction!

I have the same problem. Booker recently ripped off yet another nail while playing. We've been to the vet multiple times for this and finally she just told me to soak it 'til I can trim the rest of the nail off (thank goodness he is so tolerant!) and get any dirt out of there. Then soak it in a Bactine mix, and keep an eye on it for infection. He hasn't had an infection yet, thank goodness.

Here is a post about the stopper pads and paw pads, I recently got the collodial silver and it seems to help AFTER the pads are injured; I use the "Tuff Foot" and that seems to help prevent some of the injury.

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.p ... w+pad+woes

Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Fri May 09, 2008 7:48 pm

When you guys say stopper pads, are you talking about the metacarpal pad? The big one on the paw?

rgyoung777
Addicted to PBF

Postby rgyoung777 » Fri May 09, 2008 8:54 pm

My dog has a bigger problem cutting up her hocks than the carpal pads on her front legs, but the neoprene leg wraps we got from Neopaws worked nicely for protecting both her front and back legs without hampering mobility. They've held up well to some pretty major wear and tear since we've had them, but the ones that we put on her front legs showed the wear sooner.

Vetwrap would work well for this too.

Your boy is lovely, by the way. :)

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Sat May 10, 2008 12:44 am

Oooh! I am ordering those leg wraps and stimulating the economy just as soon as I get that check. Booker also rips up the back of his hind legs/hocks and has some pretty gnarly looking hairless scars there. I think he will be very tolerant of those wraps.

Re: "Stopper pads," I am referring to the ones above the dew claw on my dog's front legs, not the ones on the bottom of his foot and toes, but about 3-4" up from that. I didn't know the correct name for them until now!

Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Sat May 10, 2008 7:59 am

Oh yea, those are the carpal pads.

pjrocco
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby pjrocco » Tue May 13, 2008 3:06 pm

rgyoung777 wrote:Image

My dog has a bigger problem cutting up her hocks than the carpal pads on her front legs, but the neoprene leg wraps we got from Neopaws worked nicely for protecting both her front and back legs without hampering mobility. They've held up well to some pretty major wear and tear since we've had them, but the ones that we put on her front legs showed the wear sooner.

Vetwrap would work well for this too.

Your boy is lovely, by the way. :)

Awesome! Thank you very much!!!!

They don't have a sizing chart so I hope the large is big enough...

rgyoung777
Addicted to PBF

Postby rgyoung777 » Tue May 13, 2008 3:39 pm

Large should be fine--I believe that is what we ordered as well.

There is a sizing chart for their boots on their site, and the wraps follow those sizes.

Return to “Health Issues”