Help with dry skin

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
MsPsychotic
Matured Bully

Help with dry skin

Postby MsPsychotic » Mon May 12, 2008 1:48 am

I've done a search and can't find anything talking specifically about dry skin. Bear is recovering from demo-mange. Nearly two months ago, when he was surrendered to the local humane society, he had a 40% hair loss due to the mange. With a round of ivermectin and ceph, his hair started coming back, but the dry, flaky (think - elephant) skin remained. He's had three mitaban dips, with at least one more to come before a second 'test' scrap. He only has three or four tiny (dime sized) thin patches on the top of his head, the rest of his hair has filled in very nicely.

However, he's still VERY flaky with a lot of scabs. I brush him a few times a day with a soft bristle brush. Our vet has told me NO BATHS at home between mitaban dips. So I can't use my oatmeal based conditioning shampoo bars.

I've been giving him two or three homemade treats* every day. He gets a tablespoon of virgin flaxseed oil with both of his meals. I also give him two fish oil capsules per day.

Is there ANYTHING else I can do for him? His itching isn't as constant as it was when we first brought him home, but he's still itching. Is this just something that will fade once the mange is taken care of?

*Treats are like Satin Balls, but I've tried to make them healthier.
A fatty burger base, raw egg yolks, ground kelp, flaxseed oil, fish oil, wheat germ, knox 'hair and nail' gelatin, oatmeal, molasses, garlic, plain yogurt. I make them small, between quarter and golf ball size.

NAILHEAD
Adolescent Bully

Postby NAILHEAD » Mon May 12, 2008 3:25 am

I use "nu-stock" and Vitamin E for my pups skin. they do get dry skin from just being Rednose and a dryer climate. I think what your doing should work over time. But try some vitamin E maybe? Or get your hands on some nu-stock

Hope it gets under controll for you asap.

G

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Mon May 12, 2008 5:06 am

Duke got elephant-skin with his Mange because of a secondary bacterial infection. Anti-biotics for a few weeks cleared it right up. I also washed the spots with Malaseb shampoo...it treats bacterial and fungal skin conditions.

Houstonsmom
Newborn Bully

Postby Houstonsmom » Mon May 12, 2008 10:12 am

We use wild salmon oil in their food. They love it!

MsPsychotic
Matured Bully

Postby MsPsychotic » Mon May 12, 2008 11:06 am

I've heard the rave reviews about nu-stock from this forum, so I'll be ordering some within the next day or two. The vet did say not to use anything on him until the mitaban dips were finished, so I'm not in a rush to order it. :tongue:

I'll have to ask the vet about a secondary infection when I take him in on Friday. During his first visit, she did say that he COULD have a secondary infection such as a yeast infection, but until the mange was cleared up she didn't want to treat anything else. One thing at a time, she said.

I just feel so bad for him. I want there to be some miracle treatment that'll fix him in one or two visits.. not a maybe treatment that'll help after a few months. :frown:

Return to “Health Issues”