muscle development

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
nickynoneck
Adolescent Bully

muscle development

Postby nickynoneck » Mon May 12, 2008 9:42 am

I am new amstaff/apt owner and i was just wondering if my excersise regime for my dog would work to make him get a little more defined muscle wise now thats its summer iam gonna be working him more .

He usually gets a 30- 45 min walk a day fast pace and if its not raining he gets 20 mins or so of flirt pole and we end it with a light game of ball . if me and my gf are both off in the afternoon we go for hikes which last around an hour.

i just started this 2 weeks ago and have noticed a difference already with his legs , he will get to do it at least 4 days a week but he does get a daily 30 - 45 min walk depending how sore i am from judo/grappling.

he eats summit all life stages food thats higher in protien then most holistic foods plus gets canned foods like merrick / instinct in his food for flavour( just a spoon full to mix in )

He's about to turn 11 months and hes 70-75 pounds , i have purchased a back pack but iam waiting till he is a year or more to use it .

his look right now is great but i would like him to loose some chub from just getting daily walks and limited play in the winter .

can you help ?

nickynoneck
Adolescent Bully

Postby nickynoneck » Mon May 12, 2008 9:44 am

I should say just 4 days i mean 4 days a week of the harder work out he gets excersies every day be it a walk / flirt pole or ball.

nickynoneck
Adolescent Bully

Postby nickynoneck » Wed May 14, 2008 4:10 pm

so i take it no ones gonna help me ??

Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Wed May 14, 2008 4:44 pm

Ok well, I don't really know, but I'll give it a shot. Walks probably wont help too much with muscle defining, but they may help him to slim down a bit if he's chubby. Flirt pole probably will help with the muscles. Also, is there a place you can take him swimming? Swimming and also running in sand are apparently really good ways to get your dog in shape. Hopefully other members will chime in who know more about this stuff.

DiMaSaLaNg
Newborn Bully

Postby DiMaSaLaNg » Thu May 15, 2008 4:59 am

11 mos. and he's 75lbs already? i think you should cut the food he's been taking, that can help to tone him a little bit and show more muscle.

The exercise you've been giving him is pretty descent so just keep it up but I also think he's still young and you should give him more time to bulk/fill out.

nickynoneck
Adolescent Bully

Postby nickynoneck » Thu May 15, 2008 8:15 am

DiMaSaLaNg wrote:11 mos. and he's 75lbs already? i think you should cut the food he's been taking, that can help to tone him a little bit and show more muscle.

The exercise you've been giving him is pretty descent so just keep it up but I also think he's still young and you should give him more time to bulk/fill out.

Cool and i only give him whats recommended for food its just starting to get nice out heree so i will be able to do more stuff with him he has gotten alot more defined in the last 3 weeks i think he just needed more excersies .

and yeah i weighed him the other nighta nd he was 71 so hes loosing some of the baby fat he stored over the winter he's not chubby just not defined yet , i just see dogs on here and they look crazy defined .

iam looking to get my 10 month old looking crazy good yet cuz hes young and it will coem in time.

ShadowWolf
Forum Junky

Postby ShadowWolf » Thu May 15, 2008 11:21 am

Muscle definition varies from dog to dog and a good chunk of it is genetic. Some dogs have that naturally bulky rippling muscle (for instance, Marty's dog, Lil' Bit) and some dogs have more lean muscle that's not as defined.

You don't want to over-stress your puppy. Too much work on a puppy can do more harm then good. Cutting down food on a working dog is pointless because then the dog's body will get what it needs elsewhere and it could possibly be from the muscle tissue.

Simple exercises - walking, flirt pole and spring pole - are great. If your dog will swim, try that. It's a low-impact exercise that'll really tone the muscle. But patience is a virtue. Not all APBTs are going to be within standard, be them rescue or breeder dog.

Sassy Girl
Super Bully

Postby Sassy Girl » Thu May 15, 2008 11:57 am

Your diet isn't too high protein, it's about average in my book. How much are you feeding your dog per day? Broken up into one meal or two?

My dogs are on EVO RM, that runs 42/22, but they not only participate but compete in several sports, they have very active life styles.

70 - 75 lbs at 11 months, depending on the dogs build, this seems over weight in my opinion. Can you post some pics so we can see him? It would be easier to assess.

Sand is definitely a great work out. I don't have a beach near us, well it's 45 minutes away and we utilize one of the park playgrounds around our house, I sit on the swing and we play chuckit, the dogs have to run across the playground through the sand and then onto grass to retrieve their toys. This helps a great deal, I will add though, swimming is by far one of the best forms of excercises! Our pups get out at least 2-3x's a week now!

We also work ours by doing wind sprints, frisbee, flirt pole, spring pole, thera balls and treadmill work (inclines are great).

Carla
Forum Junky

Re: muscle development

Postby Carla » Thu May 15, 2008 6:43 pm

nickynoneck wrote: He's about to turn 11 months and hes 70-75 pounds , i have purchased a back pack but iam waiting till he is a year or more to use it .

My experience with MALE Staffs is that they look pretty much like hairy 2 x 4s at this age. Just not going to have much in the way of muscle. That will come on naturally in the next year.

Also, it IS quite genetic. Some will get the bunchy "impressive" looking muscle, others just will not no matter what you do. Some will always have the lighter, longer muscle -- which really is better working-type muscle anyway.... - but when toned and defined, is more impressive than the
"bunchy" muscle.

Carla

teddymtl
Newborn Bully

Postby teddymtl » Thu May 15, 2008 7:04 pm

The rule is the same for people as it is for dogs.

Lower body fat ratio = higher definition

So that means stricter well selected diet and lots of cardio/stamina type workouts.

But yeah you need to keep in mind he isn't near maturity yet so don't push it too hard or you could hurt your pup.

nickynoneck
Adolescent Bully

Postby nickynoneck » Sat May 17, 2008 7:44 am

Oh def i am never gonna push my puppy cuz well hes a puppy , hes not over weight hes just not defined as i think he could be , i havent been able to take him out for runs that much in the winter but almost everyday i got him running in some sort of way and he loves the flirt pole .
These pics are recent .

Image this is a pic of his father at 18 months he was a thick dog .

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Sat May 17, 2008 11:42 am

It's really hard to tell if you don't have a picture that is a pure side shot, but he does look a little "over bulked" than necessary if you are going for lean muscle. As mentioned before, the food can help too--how much protein is in the food you are feeding? What brand is it?

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Sat May 17, 2008 11:47 am

I was actually just looking through the gallery and saw some of your side-shots and he could definitely lose alot of weight. You aren't going to be able to get any muscle definition w/ that much insulation :)) He is such a cutie though!

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Sat May 17, 2008 12:16 pm

Do you see how his muscle areas are more rounded? Mostly in his shoulders and thighs.

That's because there is a lot of fat in there - muscles aren't round. The same thing happened with my dog before I started exercising her.

The fat melted away from her biceps and thighs, and a little from her ribs. But she didn't look "FAT" before, her muscles just looked more rounded.

It's actually fat over/between the muscles that make them look so bulky.
The back shouldn't be wide, but it should be muscular.

A dog can be fat and muscular at the same time, but it will not have definition :)

nickynoneck
Adolescent Bully

Postby nickynoneck » Sat May 17, 2008 2:31 pm

KeelazMom wrote:Do you see how his muscle areas are more rounded? Mostly in his shoulders and thighs.

That's because there is a lot of fat in there - muscles aren't round. The same thing happened with my dog before I started exercising her.

The fat melted away from her biceps and thighs, and a little from her ribs. But she didn't look "FAT" before, her muscles just looked more rounded.

It's actually fat over/between the muscles that make them look so bulky.
The back shouldn't be wide, but it should be muscular.

A dog can be fat and muscular at the same time, but it will not have definition :)

def like i said i just started to get him more excersied cuz of his age hs running more and stuff i have seen a difference the pics where last taken at the beginning of may .

def gonna post some pics of him when he looses some more . the most change i have seen in him is his stomach/legs and back .

Return to “Health Issues”