muscle development

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Sat May 17, 2008 7:29 pm

Roxers wrote:Ok well, I don't really know, but I'll give it a shot. Walks probably wont help too much with muscle defining, but they may help him to slim down a bit if he's chubby. Flirt pole probably will help with the muscles. Also, is there a place you can take him swimming? Swimming and also running in sand are apparently really good ways to get your dog in shape. Hopefully other members will chime in who know more about this stuff.

x2!
Swimming is great for a young dog. It is very low impact, great cardio, and builds endurance it would be a worthy component to your dogs workout.

nickynoneck
Adolescent Bully

Postby nickynoneck » Sun May 18, 2008 8:49 am

merriterrier wrote:
Roxers wrote:Ok well, I don't really know, but I'll give it a shot. Walks probably wont help too much with muscle defining, but they may help him to slim down a bit if he's chubby. Flirt pole probably will help with the muscles. Also, is there a place you can take him swimming? Swimming and also running in sand are apparently really good ways to get your dog in shape. Hopefully other members will chime in who know more about this stuff.

x2!
Swimming is great for a young dog. It is very low impact, great cardio, and builds endurance it would be a worthy component to your dogs workout.

its getting him to swim its a little to cold out for him to swim .

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Sun May 18, 2008 1:16 pm

You may have a canine rehabilitation center in your area, they often offer pool time for a minimal fee (you get the pool to yourself for 30min or an hour usually). If not too bad, but when the weather warms you should definitely take him swimming!

nickynoneck
Adolescent Bully

Postby nickynoneck » Sun May 18, 2008 3:58 pm

merriterrier wrote:You may have a canine rehabilitation center in your area, they often offer pool time for a minimal fee (you get the pool to yourself for 30min or an hour usually). If not too bad, but when the weather warms you should definitely take him swimming!

Do you think having him on a 30 foot line while getting him to swim wouldbe good ? right now hes at the stage where he has to be on line , and hes not fixed yet so if i let him loose he takes off haha .

the only way i play with him is leaving his leash on him and let him run around teh yard but taking him to a place to swim without being on one might not be to good .

dog rehabilitation center is non existant where i live , would be nice to have though .

i'll prob just stick to what i am doing i havealready seen a difference in his muscle tone in the passed coupel weeks .

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Mon May 19, 2008 1:24 pm

Yeah, a line would be fine!

Good Luck!

jrsapbt
Adolescent Bully

Postby jrsapbt » Mon May 19, 2008 2:03 pm

To be honest, that amount of exercise is great. If you keep it up the extra weight will melt away unless you are overfeeding. The guidelines on the feed bags are estimates - you need to adjust according to the needs of your dog.

nickynoneck
Adolescent Bully

Postby nickynoneck » Mon May 19, 2008 9:15 pm

jrsapbt wrote:To be honest, that amount of exercise is great. If you keep it up the extra weight will melt away unless you are overfeeding. The guidelines on the feed bags are estimates - you need to adjust according to the needs of your dog.

oh def we have given him less food the past couple weeks and we have seen a difference we also started to feed him once a day before we feed him twice and found he was getting gassy we stopped and started once a day and he has been fine .

Return to “Health Issues”