Poor Tully (she's so mortified!)

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Poor Tully (she's so mortified!)

Postby Sarah » Mon May 19, 2008 3:54 pm

Tully has been having some incontinence issues. :oops: She's had them sporadically for the past couple months, but I didn't recognize what was happening until Saturday evening, when pee suddenly appeared behind her as she lay on the floor near my chair. She was very embarassed!

I think it's probably spay incontinence, which is ironic, since I've been skeptical about that phenomenom, which has been brought up a lot on the internet lately. I figured that some people must just have bad vets. Well, the vet that did Tully's spay is excellent.

It might not be that, of course. She's also had a few nasty diarrhea bouts lately, which she also finds mortifying, so it could be something systemic. I took her to the vet today. Tully was very happy about that, she loves going to the vet! The vet was happy to see Tully, too, it happened to be the vet who treated my dogs after the neighbor's dogs mauled them, and she hasn't seen Tully since. She told me that she still talks about how sweet my dogs are. lol

When the tech and I took Tully out to try and catch some pee, Tully wouldn't go, so the vet took her in back and got a cysto (stuck a needle through her belly into her bladder, and drew out urine that way), and some blood for a complete panel. She'd have done just the urine first, but I wanted to get it all out of the way, to be absolutely sure that we could catch anything that might be going on. Tully is also 6 1/2, so even if the blood comes back normal, it will be a good baseline to have as she ages.

The visit and blood/urine profile "only" cost me about $197, which is actually less than I'd feared. lol However, I'm still really concerned that it will turn out to be spay incontinence, and I'll have to have her on meds for the rest of her life. That could hurt the bank account!

Tully would really like to stop the spontaneous peeing though. Please.

ewwies
Addicted to PBF

Postby ewwies » Mon May 19, 2008 3:57 pm

aww.. poor tully!!! well let us know what the results say!!

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon May 19, 2008 8:01 pm

Some of them really do get embarassed don't they! :sad:
I hope it is a minor thing and will soon be fixed (with no neg. side effects for Tully and no negative influence on your bank account).

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Mon May 19, 2008 8:08 pm

Poor Tully! I hope it's an easy fix.

I'm having the same problem with our pup Shelby. She is fine if I don't let her drink freely, but her urine becomes very concentrated and smelly. If I let her drink what she wants, it's a pee-fest...in her crate, on the floor, and the other night I had her sleeping in bed with me...and she peed on me in her sleep. I don't want to limit her water because of the heat/humidity here, and an 8-9 month old pup shouldn't be having issues like this. So off to the vet we go next week. I don't think it's spay incontinence in our case, since she's been doing this since we found her. But I, too, get to pay for blood/urine tests. Yay!

mpetva2
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Poor Tully (she's so mortified!)

Postby mpetva2 » Mon May 19, 2008 10:33 pm

Sarah wrote:The visit and blood/urine profile "only" cost me about $197, which is actually less than I'd feared. lol However, I'm still really concerned that it will turn out to be spay incontinence, and I'll have to have her on meds for the rest of her life. That could hurt the bank account!

Tully would really like to stop the spontaneous peeing though. Please.

Hi Sarah,
Our Silatuyok (Husky MIx or Korean Jindo mix) has had Spay Incontinence for a few years now (she is 9 now and it started when she was about 6) and is on the medication PROIN for quite a while now. She started with 50mg and after 3 years just started taking 75mg (some dogs are known to actually go off meds after a while on Proin, but that is not the case with Silatuyok).

She takes 75 mg daily and if give it to her in 2 daily doses in a chewable form.

Since the meds are quite mor expensive at the vet's, Since our last RX for was for the 50mg, I give her one half and one qtr in the morning and same at night.
But I think it comes in 25mg and 75 mg also and the cost is definately not expensive!!! :-)

Valley Vet
PROIN chewables - 50MG----180 PILLS $28.95 - FREE SHIPPING
http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html ... tent=652RX
By fax from your veterinarian: Your veterinarian can fax the prescription from their office (Fax 1-800-446-5597) then you call them
or:
If you would like to place an order before your veterinarian calls or faxes the prescription, you may do so. Our customer service representative can place the order on hold until we receive the prescription. As soon as the prescription is received, the order will be released. 1-800-419-9524
8 am - 5 pm Central Time, Monday-Friday

mail-in/fax order form (PDF)
http://www.valleyvet.com/library/si_faxorderform.pdf

By phone from your veterinarian:
Have your veterinarian call in your prescription to us at 1-800-898-8026,
8 am - 5 pm Central Time, Monday-Friday. Your veterinarian may leave our pharmacist a voice message after hours.

By mail: You can mail the original written prescription to:
Valley Vet Supply
PO Box 504
Marysville, KS 66508

The above company and some others sometimes actually offer a Two for One deal also, where you can get 2 bottles of the meds for the price of one.

Lambert Vet Supply
PROIN chewables - 50MG-180 PILLS --$26.95 - SHIPPING about $7.99
http://www.lambertvetsupply.com/Proin-R ... 2CP0150180
Have the VET office (most vet's will do this without a problem) fax the RX directly to fax number below, then phone in your order.
Make sure to include a refill for another 180each (then you can just refill by phone)!
CONTACT US BY PHONE AT: 800-344-6337

28-1437 -- A prescription may be transmitted by fascimile (FAX) to the pharmacy ONLY by the prescribing veterinarian. The prescription CAN NOT be faxed to the pharmacy by the owner of the animal. The owner may obtain the original prescription from the vet and MAIL it in.

Lambert Vet Supply
c/o Pet's Choice Pharmacy
714 5th Street Fairbury NE 68352
Prescription Fax: 866-787-1177

Name of owner and species of the animal

1. Name of drug
2. Strength of the drug
3. Dosage form of the drug
4. Quantity of the drug
5. Directions for use
6. Date of issuance
7. Vet's name with signature
8. Number of refills authorized

Here is another one, but I have not used this supplier yet:
http://www.petsupplies4less.com/sbsite. ... uery=proin

PROIN - 50MG-180 PILLS --$26.95 - SHIPPING about $7.99

There is another medication that they use for this (I don't remember the name for it though) but from what I remember when I did the research when we first found out, it has more side effects vs. Proin.

I hope that your pupper only has something that can be fixed quickly, but in case it is spay incontinence please know that the dogs do very well on it and it is not expensive medication!

Hope this helps

Karen & Furry Gang

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue May 20, 2008 7:06 am

jesse is on PPN med, it cost me $17 for a bottle of 60 pills which she gets 2x a day.. so basically its $17 a month for incontinence pills for her..

Murfins
Addicted to PBF

Postby Murfins » Tue May 20, 2008 7:11 am

My girl Aggie was on pills for spay incontinence from her about 6 months until she passed at 10 years old - it cost very little a month really.

PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitFriend » Tue May 20, 2008 8:13 am

Yup, same here. The cost for Mocha's Proin is negligible (compared to the heartworm/flea preventative, arthritis supplements, Rimadyl, etc. for our other dogs lol ). I also experimented a little with her dosage. I totally respect my veterinarian, but I want to give my dogs the very least amount of drugs that they need to be effective... my vet told me to give Mocha 50 mg a day, but I decided to start her at 25 to see how she would do. Absolutely no leakage on 25 mg, and no side effects at all, so I've kept her on that dosage for several years now. Saves us a little money.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Tue May 20, 2008 9:01 am

Well, her bloodwork & urinalysis came back normal, so almost certainly spay incontinence. We decided to go ahead and have the urine cultured to absolutely, 100% rule out an infection (another $102, but oh well, it's only money), so I won't be starting her on the meds until that comes back. Meanwhile, the vet is prescribing her a course of metronidazole to see if it helps the diarrhea bouts.

Anyway, she said when we start the anti-incontinence meds, we'll start on a relatively high dose, giving it twice a day, then try to taper off and see how low we can go and still be effective. It may not need to be a daily med.

Finnigan
Bully Ambassador

Postby Finnigan » Tue May 20, 2008 9:59 am

Yep, urinary incontinence in females is very often spay related. One of the unfortunate side effects.

ZiggysMom
Super Bully

Postby ZiggysMom » Tue May 20, 2008 3:19 pm

still a darn sight better than a pyometra.

yorkshire_lass
Newborn Bully

Postby yorkshire_lass » Tue May 20, 2008 5:43 pm

ZiggysMom wrote:still a darn sight better than a pyometra.

With ya on that. :thumbsup:

Hope Tully is feeling ok and this can be sorted for her poor girl :oops:
Cant be nice for either of you.
Lots of staffie hugs all way from UK for Tully :peace:

[url]Image[/url]

Return to “Health Issues”