I think Alonza may have intestinal parasites

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Loca
Pit Bull Forum Addict

I think Alonza may have intestinal parasites

Postby Loca » Wed May 21, 2008 8:29 pm

I saw blood in Alonza's poop today. Then I read on the internet that blood can signify intestinal parasites. So I went and got her poop and dissected it. It is full of these red and black bugs almost the size of apple seeds. I wish it was apple seeds, but I don't think so. Does she need to go to the vet tonight or can it wait until tomorrow. Could Loca have this too? Is it transferable to humans, as in my kids?

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed May 21, 2008 8:33 pm

If there's live bugs I'd think they went in there AFTER she pooped, and were not there from her stomach.

Loca
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Loca » Wed May 21, 2008 8:37 pm

No, i collected her poop right away and put it in a bag in my garbage pail. Then I read on the internet and went to my pail, took out the poop and dissected it. the bugs look dead. None of them were moving.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed May 21, 2008 8:49 pm

Hm...do you have a pic??? It sounds gross but I can't get a mental image here, worms are generally long and thread like, or actually look like BEAN sprouts, and tapes are usually white when they come out.

Loca
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Loca » Wed May 21, 2008 9:25 pm

They just looked like apple seeds, but with more detail, like a bug and some were smaller. They weren't alive and they had blood in them when I squished them. The top of their bodies were like a brassy red or brownish and the underside was black. I couldn't tell if there were legs or not.
Alonza ate Horse poop yesterday, so I don't know if those bugs were in the poop. Also, she has been eating grass like crazy lately, so I don't know if she ate a bunch of bugs that were on grass, but I can't see that, because there were a lot of them. We live in the country now, so I see a lot of weird bugs now that I've never seen before.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed May 21, 2008 10:01 pm

Loca wrote:They just looked like apple seeds, but with more detail, like a bug and some were smaller. They weren't alive and they had blood in them when I squished them. The top of their bodies were like a brassy red or brownish and the underside was black. I couldn't tell if there were legs or not.
Alonza ate Horse poop yesterday, so I don't know if those bugs were in the poop. Also, she has been eating grass like crazy lately, so I don't know if she ate a bunch of bugs that were on grass, but I can't see that, because there were a lot of them. We live in the country now, so I see a lot of weird bugs now that I've never seen before.

Wow. I'd take a sample in to the vet tomorrow.

sammy
Newborn Bully

Postby sammy » Wed May 21, 2008 10:32 pm

sounds nasty :frown:

Hope it is nothing serious, keep us posted!

Loca
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Loca » Wed May 21, 2008 10:52 pm

Her poop had mostly grass in it and those bugs, so I hope they were bugs that were on the grass when she ate it. Either way, I'll call the vet tomorrow to see whether I bring her in or not. This is really bothering me.

Loca
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Loca » Wed May 21, 2008 11:23 pm

I looked up bugs native to Alberta and I found a picture of Hemipteran eggs and they look similar to what was in Alonza's poop, not exactly though.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed May 21, 2008 11:24 pm

Too tired to google...what is
Hemipteran eggs
?
Sounds like a Jeopardy answer to me. lol

sammy
Newborn Bully

Postby sammy » Wed May 21, 2008 11:26 pm

Hmm maybe try and call a vets office and ask them if it is possible she eat some of those eggs and it passed through?!

Keep an eye out for another poo and (sorry to say) dissect it again..

Check your food also, i have worked in a petshop were some of the bags got infected by bugs.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Thu May 22, 2008 9:09 am

since he ate horse poop it is a good possibility the horse had a parasite and passed it out in his manure, then Alonza ate it.(hopefully, the horse had just been wormed and all were dead when he passed them and Alonza ate them)
do a google for horse parasites and see if you see any pics of them?

Loca
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Loca » Thu May 22, 2008 10:15 am

I looked up horse parasites and none of them resemble what Alonza had. I'm going to check Loca and Alonza's poop today. I did check the dog food too and it looks normal.

Loca
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Loca » Thu May 22, 2008 11:22 am

I'm going to barf!!! This is so gross checking their poop various times!! :yucky:
Anyway, Alonza's poop only had one bug today as opposed to around 20 in yesterday's poop.
Loca didn't have any.
Alonza found horse poop to eat again. She's disgusting and weird :)) . Last time she ate something weird we spent $ 1800.00 at the emergency vet. She decided she would eat video cassette tapes when I went back to work.

sammy
Newborn Bully

Postby sammy » Thu May 22, 2008 3:42 pm

Be careful with horse poo, the stuff too de-worm horses is Poisson and it can actually kill your dog (My sisters dog ended up in emergency vet from eating it and it was a very close call)

Hopefully the poo will be clear next time but it will be a good idea to call a vet and ask them if there are any dangers otherwise...

Return to “Health Issues”