Fly bites or ringworm?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Fly bites or ringworm?

Postby Lunchbucket » Sun May 25, 2008 4:52 pm

Eve had one of these "rings" yesterday and now she has about 10 of them today. She has been laying outside quite a bit the last couple of days while we worked on the outside of the house so it is easy to get gnat or fly bites.

They are bright red in the middle like a bite with a bright red ring on the outside edge. They are on her inner thighs, belly, and two right by her arm pits only. There is no hairloss on the ones that have hair over them. She really has no hair on her belly anyhow

Here is a pic what do you guys think?

Thanks
Lunchbucket

Fatty
Newborn Bully

Ringworm

Postby Fatty » Sun May 25, 2008 5:53 pm

here's a pic of ring worm.
http://www.dogchatforum.com/ringworm-in-dogs.htm

It could also be allergies, my pup gets red spots like that especially if he gets near poison ivy.

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Sun May 25, 2008 6:48 pm

Looks like bug bites to me.

leopardjunkie
Adolescent Bully

Postby leopardjunkie » Sun May 25, 2008 10:10 pm

There was a post on thease last year...I think it was determined to be flies or other non concerning bite...

My male and female both came in the last few days with um all over. We think they possibly get them when the grass is a little longer since they generally only get them in the warmer higher spots like belly, armpits and crotch.

Since I am not panicking this year I am pretty sure a bunch of us came to the conclusion that they were not a big deal...just look alarming...

LindsaySF
Bully Ambassador

Postby LindsaySF » Sun May 25, 2008 10:38 pm

Clancy got the exact same thing last year and I took him to the vet. (My old thread is in this forum somewhere).

They said it was bug bites and the rash would go away in a day or two. They were right.

LindsaySF
Bully Ambassador

Postby LindsaySF » Sun May 25, 2008 11:21 pm

Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lunchbucket » Sun May 25, 2008 11:37 pm

I did all the searching and found threads with some of your posts but wanted to make sure Eve's were the same deal. Figured the bugs just really came out lately and she has been out more now so thought bites....thought I'd double check. Hope we are all right

Lunchbucket

cecollins
Forum Junky

Postby cecollins » Tue May 27, 2008 12:25 pm

Trust me when I say, those are black fly bites. My dogs get them this time of year as we are right in to black fly season. They do not bother my dogs too much but my vet suggested benadryl and or anti itch cream and they will go away quickly.

Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lunchbucket » Tue May 27, 2008 11:31 pm

cecollins and others. Thanks they have faded and are on the way out.

Thanks
Lunchbucket

amelie
Matured Bully

Postby amelie » Tue May 27, 2008 11:50 pm

they are probably bug bites, but they look EXACTLY like the leech bites our dogs get when they get into the "yucky" water out back. we have a pond that does not have leeches, but the swampy area nearby has them and sometimes the dogs get there before i can get there and direct them to the "clean" water. the leeches look like small spots of mud when they are stuck on the dogs (or people) and leave marks like on your dog.

loye
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby loye » Wed May 28, 2008 6:53 pm

this must be a very common thing lol...i just posted this up b/c my pups are getting it too. My friend also said that her pit gets them sometimes. It just seems to be in that area by their hind legs where there is no fur.

Lunchbucket
Bully Ambassador

Postby Lunchbucket » Wed May 28, 2008 10:36 pm

OMG Eve got eaten up tonight! Cooper (my bosses dog) got bit up tonight too. They looked terrible and I felt so bad. We had them outside playing while we were working on my kitchen and didn't notice it till they came in to eat. Guess we have a couple days more of spots.

Good thing is they don't seem to bother them at all

Lunchbucket

Return to “Health Issues”