Please Help!!!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Mon May 26, 2008 10:01 pm

Don't change everything at once or you will not figure out what the problem is. Start with the detergent, and if the bumps go away, you will know that was the problem. If they don't, then it's not the detergent and it's time to change something else.

Monsta
Newborn Bully

Postby Monsta » Tue May 27, 2008 6:03 pm

well, Rambo had another breakou this morning. He slept in the garage with no bedding. But, after I moved him into the back yard he fell asleep on his plastic picnic table and a hour or so later I find him with his breakouts. Could he be allergic to plastic? I made an appointment with the vet for Friday. I took away his plastic table...poor guy was so sad. :sad: Does anyone think it might be his food?

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue May 27, 2008 6:09 pm

yes he could be allergic to plastic, my dog is also allergic to plastic, if he plays with plastic toys he gets bumps all over his mouth..

get rid of the plastic.. which also means his crate if its plastic as well.. you can get metal crates with metal pans from Midwest..

Monsta
Newborn Bully

Postby Monsta » Tue May 27, 2008 6:14 pm

uh-oh!!!!! His dog house is plastic too! Maybe I can build him a new dog house.

It makes sense though. He only breaks out on his sides and some on his neck. I hope its the plastic and not the food.....I dont really feel like food hunting again. :frown:

Monsta
Newborn Bully

Postby Monsta » Wed May 28, 2008 3:48 am

I just dont understand why only now he could possibly be allergic to plastic....can someone explain?

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Wed May 28, 2008 6:50 am

Monsta wrote:I just dont understand why only now he could possibly be allergic to plastic....can someone explain?

plastic-latex in humans very common!

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Wed May 28, 2008 9:07 am

plastic comes in different grades - cheap, better, best... like everything else.. if the plastic is made cheaply, it could affect him.. if rufus plays with cheaply made plastic toys he gets bumps all over his mouth from the plastic. but if i give him a kong which is plastic but made with better quality he is fine..

the tablecloth is probably cheaply made, and the crate is possibly being aggrevated by the table cloth or vice versa..

Monsta
Newborn Bully

Postby Monsta » Wed May 28, 2008 1:52 pm

I mean...How come only now he is reacting to plastic? Hes had the table and crate since he was 3 months old...

This morning is much better...but he still has some small hives....

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Wed May 28, 2008 2:01 pm

Monsta wrote:I mean...How come only now he is reacting to plastic? Hes had the table and crate since he was 3 months old...

This morning is much better...but he still has some small hives....

Dogs, like people, can develop allergies at any time.
Not fun to deal with.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Wed May 28, 2008 2:28 pm

yep, it can hit at any age, any time..

Monsta
Newborn Bully

Postby Monsta » Wed May 28, 2008 8:36 pm

Thanks for the input everyone! Should I still take him to the vet on Friday? What do you guys think?

sammy
Newborn Bully

Postby sammy » Wed May 28, 2008 8:42 pm

I know it is not really a AMPB site but very helpfull none the less:

***kennel link removed***

About the vet question, if you see it getting wourse or not slink down you might need to have a antibiotics shot, maybe get some anti histamine for the future but i surely wouldnt take him with every flare up (trust me it will cost you dearly i have been there and there was nothing that really helped)

Just try and find the cause!!!

sammy
Newborn Bully

Postby sammy » Wed May 28, 2008 8:44 pm

damn sorry just came to the conclusion i wasnt suppose to paste this link, this is what it said though:

Skin Irritations

The most common health issue within our American Staffordshire's has to be Skin irritations.

So far, mostly known throughout staffy breeds, skin irritations usually found on the back inner thighs of your pup, which spreads under the belly and up onto the back. In worst cases, all over.

What to look for
It starts off looking like a heat rash, then red dots with white tops (like a pimple) which is usually always itchy for the pup. Scratching starts, breaking the skin which cause these little pimples to weep, spreading the infection even more. On the back/romp it looks like lumps to where you can actually feel them, but have not risen to the surface yet for visual sightings. These soon break, causing hair loss.

What sets it off?
Can be ANYTHING and EVERYTHING. Usually their first sign is in their pup stage of 16 weeks old. Something DIFFERENT that the pup has NOT had before or been around has suddenly caused a reaction. Your main focus is - WHAT WAS IT?
This is why their diet is so important and not changed.
Most cases have been from a diet change or something new given to the pup. Other cases, is they have reacted to a grass, dust, dew, pollen, air particles, shampoo's and so on.
In the case that maybe it was the grass...what happened to the grass that suddenly made your puppy react? Did you spray your grass, maybe it rained? Maybe you mowed it, watered it. Your pup ate something they usually don't. What was it that they ate. What is in that food?
Vaccinations have also been a cause to starting skin irritations. The vet will say its OVER VACCINATED.....
Sadly once it starts, its hard to solve until the source(s) have been found. Only then can it be maintained.

Visiting your Vet
This can be frustrating, costly and in some cases, a waste of your time and money. A vet, will give you anti's and then say change its diet! DO NOT CHANGE its DIET.....it was not the cause, and it certainly didn't start it! Unless, you did change the diet before it started. If this is the case, ask for Hills Science Sensitive Skin formula. Start gradually and if worsens, STOP. So far, we have heard RAW FOOD diets works, but you do need to illiminate some raw foods. Feed one sort of Raw food per week and see if your pup reacts. If a reaction starts, STOP. Try the next one and so on.
Keep pup away from any dairy products.

Ask your vet to be referred to a 'Dermotoligist'. (hope i spelt that right)

What to do...
Do not put any unknown cremes on your pups irritations without seeking vet help. If anything you give makes it worse, STOP!
If you notice a raise in temperature, cool your pup down and try to make them as comfortable as possible.

What can you use....
A simple and easy method is by diluting salt in warm water. Get a bucket or bowl and add warm water to it, then add your normal table salt and dilute as much as possible. Then get a flannel or cloth and then bathe your pup/dog in this solution. Do this on a daily basis until healed. DO NOT WASH IN SHAMPOO's or add ANY FLEA TREATMENTS!!!!!!

Below is a small list of products than can easily cause the start of an allergic reaction in your Amstaff.

Grass
Dust
Fleas
Flea dust
Dew
Hay
Dairy products, such as yoghurts, milk, cheese
Some Dry foods products
Some Wet food products.
Red meats, such as beef, liver etc
White meats, such as chicken
Pork, lamb
Garlic
Pollen
Air particles

Now I have found out, after searching around and asking advice, that this issue is more than likely to be genetic and passed on from one or both parents. So far, I have still found breeders to be breeding from parents who have these skin issues, and without telling puppy buyers of its presence. I have always advised my puppy owners, that Skin Irritations is very common in this breed. However I did not know, it could be genetic or could result in such horrific stages.

I myself, after finding two of my puppies having this issue, have decided to phase this out of my breedings.
Sadly, testing can not be done on a parent if there is no actual presence of the skin irritation. It's also hard to try and find the actual Source of where its come from, but if you find out which parent had even a MINOR skin issue and back track, you may just find in which line and who could be of fault.

Below will be what owners have gone through and how they have/are trying to solve the skin issues.

Kelly (Chariclo's mum) has supplied us with several photos of the skin irritation.

In this photo you can see the RED spots on her body. This was not at its worst! **Please note, photo has been enhanced to see spots easily**

Hopefully in this photo you can see the BUMPS under the skin....This is usually the Start of it and what you really need to watch and then think of what it was they had just before this started.
**Please note photo has been enhanced to see bumps clearer**

Here are the spots in the healing process, now looking like black smudges (its actually hair loss)
**Please note, photo has been enhanced**

Again, another shot of Chariclo with the skin in the healing process.
**please note, photo has been enhanced**

A closer look. Here you can see just how bad it can actually be after it starts healing.
**Please note, photo has been enhanced**
(Thank you to Kelly for supplilng these photos to hopefully help others who are also going through this, as well as breeders)

Remember - The key is FINDING WHAT CAUSED IT!!!!

Monsta
Newborn Bully

Postby Monsta » Sat May 31, 2008 7:25 pm

Well, Rambos vet appointment was yesterday. The vet just told us to keep giving him the benadryl and bathe him with baby shampoo when he has bad hives. I cant afford to get blood work and stuff done right now....its like $600 or something like that. The vet also suggested to try a allergy formula food...any suggestions?

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Sat May 31, 2008 7:38 pm

you can try natural balance duck and potato, thats an allergy food, so is california natural herring and sweet potato, or Eagle Pack salmon allergy food.

however, if he gets it from the plastic its probably the plastic... remove all plastic items he lays on or can lay on and get a metal crate pan and a metal crate from Midwest.. then slowly work on what it could be. change his bowls to Stainless steel for his water and food, and get rid of all plastic toys in the house...

Return to “Health Issues”