Pooping blood

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Pooping blood

Postby Siberian » Mon May 26, 2008 8:03 pm

Sheba has blood in her stools. It came out at the end, and she was also pushing very hard. It is bright red, so it is not intestinal. Stools are semi-soft.

I am not completely freaked out, because she had a very rough weekend (12 hours in the car one day, then no day sleep for two more days, then another 9 hour car ride). She also didn't drink well during these days (she wasn't deprived of water, just refused it). There was no new food given to her, and she was always by me, or crated, so I know she didn't eat anything weird.

I noticed it yesterday evening, and this afternoon. Other times she pooped it was dark, so I don't know if blood was in those as well.

Could her rough weekend and lack of hydration be a reason? Does she have to go to the vet? Can an adult dog have parvo?

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon May 26, 2008 8:31 pm

yes an adult dog can get parvo
any age and fully vaccinated dogs also come down with parvo
there is a thread on here now where Loco has been pooping blood and her vet thinks it is an infected colon and is now on antibiotics.
parasites wil also casue blood in stoool
straining/constipation can cause blood in stools, but since her poop is not hard, that is probably not the cause here.
I would call your vet in the am and see what is the next step for her?
I hope it is something easy, like stress causing this and nothing serious.

Wesam
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Wesam » Mon May 26, 2008 9:12 pm

With an adult, its much harder for them to catch Parvo. My dog had the same symptoms as the ones you are describing and it turned out to be a bacterial infection. Antibiotics was the solution. I would definitely take her in to rule out anything serious.

Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Postby Siberian » Mon May 26, 2008 9:17 pm

should I collect her poop to take it to the vet?

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon May 26, 2008 9:59 pm

it wouldn't hurt to collect some poop, but your vet recpt will tell you when you make the appt more then likely.
It has to be fresh poop, so if you collect it in the am and your appt is in the evening, make sure you put it in fridge to keep it fresh, gross but necessary.
I always get an a.m. poop, then tripple plastic bag it and store in fridge for an evening appt, just in case the dog doesn't poop before we have to get to the appt.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Tue May 27, 2008 1:21 am

My first guess would be stress colitis. Try giving her some canned pumpkin mixed in with her next couple of regular meals. Should fix her right up :thumbsup:

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Tue May 27, 2008 7:36 am

Kingsgurl wrote:My first guess would be stress colitis. Try giving her some canned pumpkin mixed in with her next couple of regular meals. Should fix her right up :thumbsup:

This is exactly what I was going to suggest, except I'd add some slipper elm (about 1/4 tsp.) to her meals for a few days.

Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Postby Siberian » Tue May 27, 2008 11:43 am

so, is vet in order?

She threw up two times during the night. Some bone pieces (she had chicken thighs for breakfast). Puke is average, nothing unusual. She throws up sometimes when she eats bones, or inhales a large chunk of a bull stick. But I guess together with blood in her stool it is becoming pretty worrisome.

I did schedule a vet appointment for today.

Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Postby Siberian » Tue May 27, 2008 11:46 am

Oh, she also refused to eat last night, but ate just fine this morning.

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Tue May 27, 2008 12:45 pm

I've dealt with so much stomach/poop troubles that what you're describing wouldn't have me, personally, running to the vet unless a 12 hour fast, bland (ie, just chicken, not too much fat) meals and lots of slipper elm didn't clear things up.

That said, if it's totally out of the ordinary for Sheba and/or she's being lethargic, then getting her looked over is probably a good idea, if only for peace of mind.

Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Postby Siberian » Tue May 27, 2008 12:46 pm

She is lethargic, but it also could be because of her rough weekend.

I am going to the vet. I definitely would rather be save than sorry :)

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Tue May 27, 2008 4:18 pm

Let us know what the vet says
Paws crossed

Sassy Girl
Super Bully

Postby Sassy Girl » Tue May 27, 2008 4:25 pm

Katya - call me when you get done! You know the #....

I'm really thinking it was from the stress of the weekend. We've had similar issues w/some of our dogs in the beginning and usually the day after an event they are all lethargic, lots of stress, barking dogs, lots of people, different environment etc.

Good thoughts coming Miss Sheba's way.... :hug:

Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Postby Siberian » Tue May 27, 2008 4:27 pm

Thank you everyone for pawsitive thoughts.

Urs, I hope you are right. She wasn't quite her usual bouncy self this weekend either.

Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Postby Siberian » Tue May 27, 2008 6:22 pm

So, I just talked to my husband (he took her to the vet). Vet didn't see nothing abnormal, but they are going to run a test and call me tomorrow. For now he gave us antibiotics to give her once a day. He said that there is a rapture somewhere, and in order for it not to get infected, we should give her antibiotics.

Goodness, could have stress really caused all that? My poor baby is indeed a tender little flower (my mom calls her that) lol

Return to “Health Issues”