Lump on leg

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Allie
Addicted to PBF

Lump on leg

Postby Allie » Mon May 26, 2008 8:06 pm

My old lady Jasmine has a lump on her leg and I am trying to determine whether or not she needs to have it looked at. It is about the size of a silver dollar, and raised. She has other lumps that the vet looked at and deemed "fatty" lumps or cysts or something (I don't quite remember.. he said nothing to worry about, just that dogs will get them as they age). This one just seems substantial because it is on the outside of her leg and we can see it better, I think.
I don't feel worried about it. That is one reason I hesitate to bring her in. She is HORRIBLE at the vet and I sometimes have to drug her for her anxiety beforehand. Because she gets so stressed, I don't want to take her in unless I absolutely have to.

Any thoughts?

I'll try to post pictures later.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon May 26, 2008 8:39 pm

I would take her in Allie, if nothing more then to measure it to monitor any growth.
I am not going to post about my nightmare of an expericne with a 12 yo and a lump on her leg as it is still too painful for me to talk about.
I lost her needlessly because of that dam lump.
Rest well my dear 'Becky' . :crybaby:

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Mon May 26, 2008 8:46 pm

I'm sorry about your loss, pb. Thanks for sharing. I will make an appointment to have her checked out.

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Mon May 26, 2008 9:08 pm

I second pb's suggestion. Streets has had quite a few lumps and bumps that have turned out to be nothing, but the one that was a mast cell tumor the vet almost didn't check because we'd done so many others that turned out to me nothing.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Tue May 27, 2008 5:26 am

Any ideas of what other possibilities there are? I know we'd obviously have to have it tested to know for sure.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue May 27, 2008 9:20 am

It could really be anything, and you don't know until you have it looked at. It could be a benign lipoma (99% are benign anyway), a sebaceous cyst (usually much smaller), a melanoma, a mast cell tumor, a fibroma.... the list really goes on an on.

You have a 50-50 shot of determining exactly what it is by sticking a needle in it, and a 98% chance by having it surgically removed and sending it in for histopathology.

To be perfectly honest, if it bothers you, have it removed. Peace of mind is priceless.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Tue May 27, 2008 9:41 am

The thing is, it doesn't bother me. I'd hate to have her put under to have it removed if it is not causing her any harm.

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Tue May 27, 2008 9:55 am

Could you just go have a needle poked in it?
I certainly haven't had all of Streets' little lumps removed, but we get them checked out just to have an idea of what's going on :dunno:

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Tue May 27, 2008 10:09 am

pitgrrl wrote:Could you just go have a needle poked in it?
I certainly haven't had all of Streets' little lumps removed, but we get them checked out just to have an idea of what's going on :dunno:

Oh, of course. That will be the first thing. But as MissKiwi said, the chances of finding out from an aspirate are 50/50.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Tue May 27, 2008 11:03 am

Couldn't get her in until June 5th. They just said if it changes in any way I should call and take an emergency slot.

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Tue May 27, 2008 1:53 pm

pblove wrote:Rest well my dear 'Becky' . :crybaby:

:hug:

Loca
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Loca » Tue May 27, 2008 2:10 pm

Loca had a benign lump that sounded just like the one you described. It was on Loca's inner thigh. I had it surgically removed. I just didn't want to take a chance in case it ended up being cancerous or something. It definately sucks dishing out the money though for sure.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Tue May 27, 2008 2:17 pm

Thanks. How old was Loca when she had her lump removed?

The money isn't an issue at all, I just don't like the thought of putting my old lady under anesthesia unless the surgery is absolutely necessary. What if something were to happen??

Loca
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Loca » Tue May 27, 2008 2:57 pm

She had that surgery about 1 year ago, when she was 3. I can't remember... do they put them out or do they just freeze the area? I honestly forget.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue May 27, 2008 3:13 pm

The good thing is, if its something bad like melanoma or mast cell, a good needle aspirate is generally diagnostic. Anything else thats bad will usually grow fast if you keep a close eye on it. Definitely use your best judgement, and the 5th is probably fine for an appointment.

Return to “Health Issues”