Long nails!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Wesam
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Long nails!

Postby Wesam » Wed May 28, 2008 6:52 pm

My dog has pretty long nails. When I cut them, they are still VERY long. I am 100% sure that I can not cut 1 more millimeter from them or else I will clip the vain or whatever it is.

I have seen many dogs (APBT's too) with cut nails which were VERY short. My trainer told that usually when the nails are cut, you should not hear the dog walking on wooden flooring. Well in my case, cut or not, I can still hear her walking and it does not make a big difference, just a small one.

I might be imagining, but I thought I read here somewhere about a surgical procedure to solve that? Anyone help please.

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Wed May 28, 2008 8:14 pm

If you keep trimming your dog's nails as short as you can, and trim them weekly, the quick will usually recede a bit over time. You may want try a dremel, which allows you to get the nails a bit shorter.

Wesam
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Wesam » Wed May 28, 2008 9:25 pm

Yeah I do that but it doesnt work. They are still extremely long AND I use the dremmel too. I just called my vet and they told me there is a procedure done under GA. They just cut the nails pretty short which draws back the vein.

What do you think of that?

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed May 28, 2008 9:47 pm

Do NOT get the surgical procedure done. Cutting the quick in the nails opens a direct venous route for bacteria to get to the bone of the toe. Infections are rare with this procedure, but when they occur, they can result in SERIOUS infections that may lead to amputation of the toe.

Unless your dogs nails are so long they are preventing normal walking, they are not long enough to warrant this extremely painful and dangerous procedure.

innocence621
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby innocence621 » Wed May 28, 2008 9:51 pm

A dog I used to have had extremely long nails, so when he was neutered I cut them all the way back and used silver nitrate sticks to stop the bleeding. He was fine afterwards and never had a problem and didn't act like it hurt.

Wesam
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Wesam » Wed May 28, 2008 11:31 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:Do NOT get the surgical procedure done. Cutting the quick in the nails opens a direct venous route for bacteria to get to the bone of the toe. Infections are rare with this procedure, but when they occur, they can result in SERIOUS infections that may lead to amputation of the toe.

Unless your dogs nails are so long they are preventing normal walking, they are not long enough to warrant this extremely painful and dangerous procedure.

They do not prevent her from walking but they are long enough to scratch the wooden floors in my apartment; which by the way I will probably pay damages for. Not only that, but she has destroyed my carpet with her nails, my two brand new couches are also all scratched up. All done by her unintentionally. I myself am full of scratches.

Also, she is very careless and last year I had to have a surgical procedure done on her after she broke her nail while playing. The longer the nail, the more chances it breaks. I just think it will make my life A LOT easier.

So what are the chances that the infection goes through to the bone?

6pak
Bully Ambassador

Postby 6pak » Wed May 28, 2008 11:56 pm

You might want to try walking your dog on cement sidewalks everyday, it keeps his nails short. I never have had to trim shady's nails.

ZiggysMom
Super Bully

Postby ZiggysMom » Thu May 29, 2008 12:39 am

Some dogs have harder nails than others and cement walking isn't quite enough.

One thing you might want to do is bring the dremel next time you go to the vet and ask the technicians or vet to show you how short you can go. A lot of the time you have more room to trim than you'd think! Then once you've learned what it looks like when you're as close as you can go, just trim regularly until the quick recedes.

Just a thought.

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Thu May 29, 2008 11:10 am

dremel dremel dremel....Clip and do it often. The quick will receed.
Maddie has broken 3 nails? After the first two breaks we dremel every 4-6 weeks and I clip in between. We broke one more because i went outside the 6 weeks for her dremel

Why put your pup thru unnecessary surgery?

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Thu May 29, 2008 11:55 am

I clip Tigger's nails every week, and dremel here and there.Yet, the quick does not recede.I don't know what the deal is.Her nail are very strong too.I had considered the procedure mentioned but turned it down for the same reasons misskiwi said.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Thu May 29, 2008 1:00 pm

Red wrote:

I clip Tigger's nails every week, and dremel here and there.Yet, the quick does not recede.I don't know what the deal is.Her nail are very strong too.I had considered the procedure mentioned but turned it down for the same reasons misskiwi said.

I have the same problem here with Paige.
I dremel every day to every other day and after 3 years, they are slowly receding.Some of them are lamsot normal length now too.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu May 29, 2008 1:02 pm

Ever cut a nail too short, or pulled out an ingrown nail?? How much does it hurt and for how long?? Now imagine doing that on EVERY NAIL.

If you're worried about the wood floors, get doggie booties, and use positive reinforcement training to get your pup used to wearing them while indoors.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu May 29, 2008 1:06 pm

innocence621 wrote:A dog I used to have had extremely long nails, so when he was neutered I cut them all the way back and used silver nitrate sticks to stop the bleeding. He was fine afterwards and never had a problem and didn't act like it hurt.

Silver nitrate chemically cauterizes the vein, and while it may or may not prevent infection through cautery, it is still extremely painful. Next time you scratch yourself at the clinic, rub some silver nitrate on it :D. I am obsessed with nail trimming without quicking for this reason... I'll use the stuff if I have to, but if I quick a nail, I consider it a failure on my part.

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Thu May 29, 2008 1:30 pm

pblove wrote:
Red wrote:

I have the same problem here with Paige.
I dremel every day to every other day and after 3 years, they are slowly receding.Some of them are lamsot normal length now too.

Me too! I trim Vicki's nails faithfully every week and her quicks have not receded a bit! Walking on concrete does not help her either.
Solomon's nails are a lot softer, and it's much easier to keep them short. His nails DO wear down when I take him walking as well, so I don't have to cut them much.

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Thu May 29, 2008 1:34 pm

If you're truly dremeling right down to the quick, just enough so you don't get it, the quicks will recede. Riddle had talons when I got her, and I just buckled down and dremeled her nails twice a week for a couple months, and her nails are nice and short now. I keep them that way by dremeling weekly too. But if you aren't getting close enough to the quick, they won't recede.

I'm with Misskiwi. Cutting a dog's nails all the way down to the core of the quick is PAINFUL. Try cutting your toenails so short they bleed and you have to cauterize them, then walk around on them. It won't feel nice.

Return to “Health Issues”