Long nails!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Thu May 29, 2008 2:01 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:Ever cut a nail too short, or pulled out an ingrown nail?? How much does it hurt and for how long?? Now imagine doing that on EVERY NAIL.

If you're worried about the wood floors, get doggie booties, and use positive reinforcement training to get your pup used to wearing them while indoors.

good post....

innocence621
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby innocence621 » Thu May 29, 2008 2:40 pm

I'm sure it hurt some, he just didn't seem to be bothered with it. But in his case, I did it because it couldn't be any more painful than having torn nails all the time from running around. I tried everything to get the quicks to recede and nothing ever worked. I couldn't have him tearing nails just from playing...his always cracked and would get caught on something. Once or twice he had an infected nail and that hurt him just for me to touch it...so a few days of sore nails was worth it IMO.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu May 29, 2008 7:53 pm

innocence621 wrote:I'm sure it hurt some, he just didn't seem to be bothered with it. But in his case, I did it because it couldn't be any more painful than having torn nails all the time from running around. I tried everything to get the quicks to recede and nothing ever worked. I couldn't have him tearing nails just from playing...his always cracked and would get caught on something. Once or twice he had an infected nail and that hurt him just for me to touch it...so a few days of sore nails was worth it IMO.

Your case is much different than the OP's case where wood floors are the problem, not split and already painful nails. There are rare cases when its warranted, but worrying about your "stuff" is not one of them.

Wesam
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Wesam » Fri May 30, 2008 8:13 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:
innocence621 wrote:I'm sure it hurt some, he just didn't seem to be bothered with it. But in his case, I did it because it couldn't be any more painful than having torn nails all the time from running around. I tried everything to get the quicks to recede and nothing ever worked. I couldn't have him tearing nails just from playing...his always cracked and would get caught on something. Once or twice he had an infected nail and that hurt him just for me to touch it...so a few days of sore nails was worth it IMO.

Your case is much different than the OP's case where wood floors are the problem, not split and already painful nails. There are rare cases when its warranted, but worrying about your "stuff" is not one of them.

If it was "my" stuff I wouldn't be too worried. Last time I checked, these damn floors were quite expensive. I called my vet today and talked to the Dr. He told me that its a common procedure and he does it tons while dogs are being spayed or neutered. 20 years and never had a case of infection!

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:53 am

Its your dog... but I'd never make my dogs undergo a surgery I wouldn't put my worst enemies through...

How about a pair of doggie boots instead?

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:53 am

Its your dog... but I'd never make my dogs undergo a surgery I wouldn't put my worst enemies through...

How about a pair of doggie boots instead?

MsPsychotic
Matured Bully

Postby MsPsychotic » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:34 am

Bear's nails were very long when we adopted him. I started clipping them, just a tiny bit, every 4-5 days. I've always be so scared of cutting the quick because he has dark nails. They're slowly getting better, over the past month and a half. I also use an emery board/buffer combo when he's sleeping in my lap on the sofa. It doesn't bother him, but it smooths out the rough edges from clipping.

I've heard of people here using a dremel, but when I turn it on for them to get used to the sound of it, they run for their kennels. I did a google search and found, what I thought, is a very good tutorial for using the dremel.

http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merensjp/ ... remel.html

There are no videos, I'm sure a youtube search would give some, but the pictures on the site are good and there's lots of information, including how to get them used to it.

Hardwood floors are expensive to replace, but scratches aren't a big deal. We had hardwood floors when I was a kid. We used to rollerblade through the house. It used to make my mother so mad, but my father would buff out the scratches with low grit sand paper and then lay on a layer of wax and buff it in with an electric car buffer.

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:45 pm

Wesam wrote:If it was "my" stuff I wouldn't be too worried. Last time I checked, these damn floors were quite expensive. I called my vet today and talked to the Dr. He told me that its a common procedure and he does it tons while dogs are being spayed or neutered. 20 years and never had a case of infection!

Basil has quite long quicks which, even with frequent trimming, have never really receded that much. We also have all wood floors (though it's an old industrial building, so no one really cares if they get scratched up).

What I've found is that right after cutting them they're actually kind of sharp and most likely to cause scratches. Using either an emery board (like MsPsychotic suggested) to round off the ends, or going for a long walk on concrete helps a bunch.

There are also Soft Paws. I think Paris would look pretty good with some pink fake nails :))

PreciousPit
Newborn Bully

Postby PreciousPit » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:07 am

I was wondering if dremels were all the same or if there were some brands that were better than others?
I saw that new one advertised on t.v called Peticure where it actually has a guard on it so you can't shave it off too close, and its cheaper than most others i've seen.
if anyone has any advice on which one I should get, please let me know... thanks

OH btw Im petite and have pretty small hands,.. I know that might make a difference, since there's diff sizes.

PreciousPit
Newborn Bully

Postby PreciousPit » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:19 am

here is a link to the peticure page. This shows videos on how to get your pet use to it, and use it correctly on your pet. http://www.peticure.com/demos.html :thumbsup:

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:12 am

Just thought I would share.

I went to a holistic vet yesterday and we spoke about nails....

She said to include Vit A, E and Zinc for nail issues. She said give it a month and see if it helps.

She said to use a good Hair Skin and Nails product - even human type. The suggested use on these is for 150 lb person./ So divide that by your dogs weight and that is the dose you use.

If there is no Zinc in the formula get some Zinc and use it in combo to the above. I am using a Zinc gluconate at 60mg. Suggested use is 1 a day. Maddie is 50 pounds so she would actually get 1/3 a day.

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:25 am

PreciousPit wrote:I was wondering if dremels were all the same or if there were some brands that were better than others?
I saw that new one advertised on t.v called Peticure where it actually has a guard on it so you can't shave it off too close, and its cheaper than most others i've seen.
if anyone has any advice on which one I should get, please let me know... thanks

OH btw Im petite and have pretty small hands,.. I know that might make a difference, since there's diff sizes.

You can still totally quick a nail with that. If you take too much off, you take too much off- a silly little guard on the dremel head won't change that.

http://www.puplife.com/Shop/Control/Pro ... /SFV/32255

This is the one I use at home and at work. I absolutely love it. :) The cordless ones aren't as powerful, but they are quieter.

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:27 am

Savage Destiny wrote:
PreciousPit wrote:I was wondering if dremels were all the same or if there were some brands that were better than others?

You can still totally quick a nail with that. If you take too much off, you take too much off- a silly little guard on the dremel head won't change that.

http://www.puplife.com/Shop/Control/Pro ... /SFV/32255

This is the one I use at home and at work. I absolutely love it. :) The cordless ones aren't as powerful, but they are quieter.

Okay ummm... accidentally pasted a link for dog treats somehow. :oops:

Here's the real link!
http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-MultiPro-7 ... B0000302Y2

PreciousPit
Newborn Bully

Postby PreciousPit » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:51 pm

Cool... Thanks for the info Savage Destiny. Im glad to hear that the cordless are quieter. I think That will make a diff with some of my dogs

bullyball
Newborn Bully

Postby bullyball » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:31 am

After reading all this I just got a dremmel-
We live in NYC and Jayne gets walked on concrete all the time, but it's not enough.

I got him used to the dremmel by using my fiance's razor- I turned it on and held it near his paws when he was good and tired, then touched it to his nails.
After that the dremmel was no problem especially when followed with a couple treats.

I got the dremmel multipro 770 on amazon for $40.

Return to “Health Issues”