help please-what to do with a puncture wound on dog

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
mpetva2
Bully Lover 4 Life

help please-what to do with a puncture wound on dog

Postby mpetva2 » Thu May 29, 2008 12:10 am

I am so upset with Hubby, I could kick him.....

Hubby (who never listens to my warnings of not letting either of our dogs go near other dogs), but of course he does it anyways) walked our Husky today and I later noticed a weird area on the right side of her mouth.

Upon looking closer and checking it out I thought it looked like a bite/puncture wound. So I charged upsatirs and asked him what happened to Silatuyok (we call her Sila (Sheila).
It turns out that he let her go up to a chainlink type fence with 2 smaller dogs barking bloody murder and it appears that while sniffing through the fence she must have gotten bit by one of the medium sized dogs.

It looks like one puncture wound and is in the fur right above her upper lip a few inches from her nose. It was bleeding (that's the spot I saw). I cleaned it with warm water, but I am not sure what to do next for it.

It does not seem bad enough (yet) to see a vet, but I need to know if there is anything I can do to help her heal faster, avoid complications, to help her heal faster and to make her feel better since it does seems to bother her. She shys away when trying to clean or touch it.

I have never had this happen before so I am at a loss what to do or how to help it heal. She is a healthy dog, 9.6 yrs old.

Please help!!!

Karen
PS: Now I am going upstairs to kick stupid hubby in the donkey$ for not heeding my warnings, ever! He thinks I am paranoid and overprotective.....

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Thu May 29, 2008 12:17 am

Can you take a picture of it? You should be fine by cleaning it and allow it to heal.Is it a puncture wound or the tissue is teared a bit?

Now I am going upstairs to kick stupid hubby in the donkey$ for not heeding my warnings, ever!

At least he is home.My husband would probably pack a suitcase and cross the border to Mexico and then call me from there to let me know something happened to one of my dogs.It is one of those things he might get killed for and he appears to know it.

mpetva2
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby mpetva2 » Thu May 29, 2008 12:29 am

Thank you for your quick response?

She has a lot of fur so without hubby (who is sleeping) helping, no way to take a picture of the wound without pushing her hair back. I can try to get one after hubby comes home tomorrow.

It is one puncture wound only, no tears. Like a canine tooth of the other dog got her.

How do I clean it? I just used warm water earlier to get the "dirt", I did not know it was a puncture wound until I cleaned it with the water. It looked like dirt at first from where I stood when I noticed it.

What do I need to look for in case there are complications?
She did eat her dinner as normal.

Karen
PS:
Hubby has been hiding upstairs and did not even come downstairs to me computer room say good night before he went to bed (he has to get up early, I don't) because he knows I am really, really, REALLY pissed at him.
He did tell me earlier that he wiped off some blood and I found some blood spots on the kitchen floor also.

ZiggysMom
Super Bully

Postby ZiggysMom » Thu May 29, 2008 12:35 am

A lot of the time these can heal up OK, but bite wounds are particularly prone to getting infected. Depending on how deep the wound is, you may be better off getting antibiotics from the vet ahead of time instead of waiting to see if it does get infected.

If you decide not to, just keep a close eye on it and if it is red, swollen, oozing, or more painful than it was to begin with then go to the vet for antibiotics right away.

It's really impossible to fully clean a puncture wound no matter how hard we try. It's like a hypodermic needle injecting bacteria. You're lucky it wasn't a cat bite. Those are almost 100% infected if they go full-thickness through the skin.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Thu May 29, 2008 12:46 am

Yeah x2 for starting the dog immediately on antibiotics, it's what our vet recommended too, for a tiff one of ours had with our landlord's dog.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Thu May 29, 2008 12:57 am

Do you keep a cleaning solution/ topical would wash for dogs handy?If I have single and minor puncture wound I use a syringe with a special plastic tip to shoot the solution all the way inside the wound, and let everything drain out.If it was bleeding that was actually good, cause bacteria can get taken out by the blood.
Do you have a hair clipper? I'd shave the area to keep a good look on redness or swelling, and keep it clean around the edges.
The problem with puncture wounds is that the tissues can heal quickly, trapping the bacteria under the skin instead of draining them out of the body.Clean it up the best you can and keep an eye on it.You might need to go to the vet tomorrow, at least for some antibiotics.

Return to “Health Issues”