WTF?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Deniselynn
BANNED

WTF?

Postby Deniselynn » Thu May 29, 2008 9:07 pm

All 3 dogs had slimy poo today. It looked like a film was covering it. I have never seen this before so I was quite alarmed. Does anyone know what this could be? Obviously if it continues, they will be taken to the vet.

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Thu May 29, 2008 9:11 pm

Mucous my friend! Irritated colons make mucous, so really it could be anything from parasites, something weird they ate (food or otherwise), stress, the list goes on and on.

I wouldn't be all too worried unless in continues though. Did you give all the dogs any new treats or chews yesterday?

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Thu May 29, 2008 9:15 pm

Nope, nothing different. I will monitor them to see if it continues. Lord have mercy is it gross! Image

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Thu May 29, 2008 9:20 pm

Yeah, well, be happy you've never had to deal with straight mucous streaming out of your dog's butt lol

Basil gets mucous coated poop if he eats long/thick grass, it's very weird, but happens every time :dunno:

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Thu May 29, 2008 9:23 pm

Molly has been eating grass. Jake ate those helicopter thingies a few days ago and he had the squirts but I thought he was getting better. I don't know what Logan got into. It looks like a sausage casing! :frown:

ZiggysMom
Super Bully

Postby ZiggysMom » Fri May 30, 2008 12:29 am

ewww.... but unless it's accompanied by diarrhea or other signs of illness, it doesn't sound like much of a problem other than being gross.

Amie

Postby Amie » Fri May 30, 2008 7:06 am

See? They figured out how to make poop less pleasant!

Over-achievers!

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Fri May 30, 2008 7:17 am

mucuos is lovely isnt it? you can add a teaspoon of canned pumpkin to firm the poop up... and mine get the mucous slimy stuff occasionally to..

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Fri May 30, 2008 8:00 am

Seems to happen to Vicki in the spring when she's exposed to more allergens. She had a mucous poop yesterday, not a big deal for her.

ilikelily
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby ilikelily » Fri May 30, 2008 8:01 am

It looks like a sausage casing!

Perfect description, that's exactly what it looks like!
I think I just puked in my mouth a little.

About two weeks ago both our dogs had mucous poops too. The following day happened to be Lily's yearly check up at the vet so we asked him about it. He was totally unconcerned, said it could be from stress or eating the fresh spring grass and dandelions... a few days later the mucous was gone.

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Fri May 30, 2008 12:30 pm

Logan and Molly are back to normal but Jake still has it. I am going to give him the pumpkin today.

MsPsychotic
Matured Bully

Postby MsPsychotic » Fri May 30, 2008 1:32 pm

I'm sorry for your pups, but I'm glad this topic was brought up.

Bear and Sally were out with us a few days ago. My children were playing and the dogs were with me while I was dealing with weeds. They were eating the tops of dandilions and buttercups and the random weed/clover. I know none of it is poisonous and I don't spray any chemicals, so I figured it wouldn't hurt them. However, yesterday they both had monster farts and mucus mixed in with their poo.

Honestly, I figured they had gotten into the body butter I was making, but I couldn't see signs of doggy invaders in the trash can and I know they didn't get on the counter.

So.. good to know it's 'alright'. I did mention it to the vet when I dropped Bear off for his weekly mitaban dip. She said she'd 'check it out' if he poo'd while there, just to be safe.. but it's probably nothing.

Annika
Addicted to PBF

Postby Annika » Fri May 30, 2008 2:08 pm

The first time Piper had a poop with mucus on it we freaked out too. It looked like a raw bratwurst and frankly, just grossed us out.

It went away after a couple of days. She must have eaten something weird.

It's only happened once or twice in the year since it happened the first time.

Return to “Health Issues”