raw spots

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
cayennes_momma
Newborn Bully

raw spots

Postby cayennes_momma » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:03 am

So we just found about a dime sized raw spot on Cayenne this morning, right below her collar on her back. It's completely raw, missing hair and skin. It almost looks as if she had a skin scraping like at the vet. It's not somewhere that she could reach to chew, so I know it's not that. And its too round of a spot for it to be from scratching. This is the second time this week this has happened, except the first one was in her ear, and although we couldn't see it, the vet said he saw a raw spot in her ear. That's just starting to clear up, but now this.

Could something have bit her? And what could bite her that would cause such a large raw spot? I'm wondering if I should take her to the vet again, or if I should just change out her bedding and wait to see if it happens again? Any advice?

Poor Cayenne, she's always got some sort of skin issue :sad:

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:16 am

it sounds like it might be a hot spot?

bullyball
Newborn Bully

Postby bullyball » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:09 am

or ringworm- since she can't scratch or chew it well- it might be ringworm- can you take a picture?

bonezmama
Adolescent Bully

Postby bonezmama » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:51 am

i'm having the EXACT same problem with Syenna, my pup, except the vet here doesn't know what it is. I've been treating her with a hydrocortisone cream to relieve the itching, and nu stock to promote the hair growth because I have no idea what it is...................
i knew i could find some info here!
here are a couple of pics to show what it looks like:

cayennes_momma
Newborn Bully

Postby cayennes_momma » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:34 pm

pblove - I don't think it's a hot spot since she's not scratching at it, and it really doesn't seem to bother her at all. Everything I could find about hotspots is that the dog can't leave it alone, and Cayenne hasn't paid the spot any mind.

Bullyball - I'm pretty sure it's not ringworm, it doesn't have the look of it. I don't have any pictures, but it looks very similar to the pictures that bonezmama uploaded.

Bonezmama - It looks almost exactly like that. I'm beginning to think it could be an allergic reaction to something. But she's not itching, and it sounds like your pup is, so it may not be the same.

So far, I'm holding off on taking her to the vet. I'm going to wait to see if it gets better or worse, or if any other spots show up. Do you think it's alright to put neosporin on it?

lipshipsattitude
Bully Ambassador

Postby lipshipsattitude » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:24 pm

www.nustock.com
it pretty much works for everything, you can get it on ebay too!

bonezmama
Adolescent Bully

Postby bonezmama » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:38 am

cayenne'smom- just bc she's not bothering it doesn't mean it's not bothering her. hot spots can be itchy but that's just a symptom so every dog isn't going to itch. Syenna's not scratching @ it, but she licks it constantly once the nustock wears off a bit. it's healing quite nicely so far. it's scabbed over & there is a little puss but I've been squeezing it out when I put nustock on her. i've also been giving her penicillin to ward off infection because it still has some open areas. I ended up talking to my old vet in vegas & she said its definitely hot spots( I emailed her the pics) so I don't want any1 2 think that I'm just drugging my dog. lipshipattitude- isn't nustock the best! i've always seen it bc my dad used 2 breed rotts & unfortunately some of them would get chain spots so he'd apply nustock to get then ready 4 the shows.

cayennes_momma
Newborn Bully

Postby cayennes_momma » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:01 pm

lipshipattitute - thanks, I've read about nustock on this site, and I keep meaning to buy it. I know everyone swears by it. It seems like it'll work miracles! lol

bonezmama - I guess I have just always read that hotspots are caused from excessive licking and scratching a spot, and since she can't reach it, I ruled that out. Can hotspots be caused by stress maybe? Cayenne's been really stressed from all the thunderstorms we've been having lately. :dunno: Anyway, it's scabbed over now, no puss, but I'm keeping an eye on it. I find it absolutely baffling all the skin problems that dogs seem to have!

Return to “Health Issues”