heat makes him lethargic

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
bullyball
Newborn Bully

heat makes him lethargic

Postby bullyball » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:59 am

This is the first summer we've had our pit, he's a rescue so he's about 1 1/2-2yrs (not a puppy) and now that it's started getting hot and humid here in NYC, he's gotten sooooo lazy.

And it's not that hot here- we haven't gotten higher than a couple of days in the mid 80s.

Usually on walks his tongue doesn't hang out, but now, after about 20 minutes if it's around 80, his tongue is out and he's lagging behind. We used to have to walk him with a backpack a couple times a week, otherwise he'd be bonkers, but now, he gets up in the morning, wags his tail, then goes back to his bed.

I've heard that pits aren't the most tolerant of heat, but is this excessive? Is this on par with what everyone else sees? If so, I'll just enjoy his mellowness.

Otherwise he seems fine, he's eating a bit less on the hot days, but his stool is normal, his water consumption is normal, he doesn't seem sick.

I'd love to hear what other people observe

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:27 am

How's his heart? Has he been altered?

bullyball
Newborn Bully

Postby bullyball » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:50 am

Yeah, he's fixed, what do you mean "how's his heart"? There's nothing that I know of...

OlympianAB
Addicted to PBF

Postby OlympianAB » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:51 am

my girl w a heart murmur gets VERY lazyish when it's hot.. you can tell toda is cooler than yesterday bc she's active..

bullyball
Newborn Bully

Postby bullyball » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:04 am

his resting HR is about 40 bpm- no murmur that I could hear, but I'm not a cardiologist... or a vet for that matter.

OlympianAB
Addicted to PBF

Postby OlympianAB » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:06 am

caps heart murmur is very very quiet but a very bad one..

my AB is a little bit lazy when it's hot..tomorrow's suppose to go over 100..so we'll see how bad they are tomorrow..gag..

JamisPack
Adolescent Bully

:O)

Postby JamisPack » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:25 am

My suggestion is to have a vet check out his heart and thyroid.
My oldest male was what we joked about as bieng "lazy" and we would drag the poor guy on walks, he would lag behind, etc... We ended up finding cardiac disease at age 4. My poor guy. He is still going strong 2 years later (with Severe Dialated Cardiac Myopathy) but we had a scary time, and we spend more on meds per month for him than most families spend on groceries....
Not to mention we felt REALLY bad for calling him lazy :crybaby:

Legend
Adolescent Bully

Postby Legend » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:29 am

Legend is about 1 year and 4 months and he's the same with heat. He used to go 30 min on tread mill and then enjoy the walks.

Now he does about 5 min in treadmill and daily walks.

Rookie is about 6 months.... Well with him I guess he's still young,,, nothing has changed.

STILL HYPER when I get home. He can go as long as he wants in treadmill no limit if he wants to.. But of course I only do 15 min... and then daily walks.

[/b] Heat takes soo much out of anybody: Human/Dogs

Especially in TEXAS. I guess that's why we don't walk here like New Yorkers do.

bullyball
Newborn Bully

Re: :O)

Postby bullyball » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:40 am

JamisPack wrote:My suggestion is to have a vet check out his heart and thyroid.

Good suggestion- unfortunately we're about to move and money is a little tight so we'll probably have to wait until we get settled in Portland. His skin is dry which is consistent with hypothyroidism in humans... but he's also skinny as a rail... but again, that's humans not dogs- Damn, sometimes I wish I was a vet!

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:07 pm

I think it's worth mentioning that humidity can make a huge impact, more so than the actual temperature in my experience.

We have hot, humid summers here and the dogs are just giant slugs till about 10 pm. They're both totally healthy, they just can't deal with hot, sticky weather and would rather wait to do anything till the cooler temps of night. It also seems to take a bit, for my dogs at least, to acclimate to a new season. This maybe be because we have pretty extreme variation in seasons here, but regardless, it might be worth keeping in mind.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:18 pm

Yeah I was thinking that if he'd been neutered, the vet should have at least listened to his heart and would have probably noted anything unusual.
But you may want to consider it in the future.
And I agree--humidity is horrible since you cannot even cool off the way nature and God intended, which is to sweat, or in dog's case, to pant!

bullyball
Newborn Bully

Postby bullyball » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:23 pm

Thanks for all the input- I guess I just wanted a little reassurance- but regardless I'll keep an eye on him and definitely mention it at his next vet check- My avatar of the sleeping dog, that's all I feel like I see of him nowadays- just a little sleepy ball of dog. lol

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:01 am

pitgrrl wrote:I think it's worth mentioning that humidity can make a huge impact, more so than the actual temperature in my experience.

We have hot, humid summers here and the dogs are just giant slugs till about 10 pm. They're both totally healthy, they just can't deal with hot, sticky weather and would rather wait to do anything till the cooler temps of night. It also seems to take a bit, for my dogs at least, to acclimate to a new season. This maybe be because we have pretty extreme variation in seasons here, but regardless, it might be worth keeping in mind.

x 2 We have been having hot, humid days lately and Logan and Jake are not as active as they normally are. I don't push them either. I can tell when they have had enough exercise and I pull them inside to a nice air conditioned house.

JamisPack
Adolescent Bully

Postby JamisPack » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:30 am

msvette2u wrote:Yeah I was thinking that if he'd been neutered, the vet should have at least listened to his heart and would have probably noted anything unusual.
But you may want to consider it in the future.
And I agree--humidity is horrible since you cannot even cool off the way nature and God intended, which is to sweat, or in dog's case, to pant!

My male was neutered and nothing was found, and he survived the anesthesia. A year later his heart disease was diagnosed...

Return to “Health Issues”