toxicity of a dead fish???

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
defendabull
Addicted to PBF

toxicity of a dead fish???

Postby defendabull » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:39 pm

taking a dog to the beach
for fun sounds innocent
enough. what if your dog
grabs a decaying fish on
the beach and eats it?
how toxic might that be??

i heard recently of a dog
that ate a decayed fish
and then died from it.
:frown:

p.s. i don't let my dogs rove
on the beach unleashed but other
people do so i thought this is an
important topic to discuss since
summertime is here.

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:24 am

I don't know about the toxicity...
But I know what mine do when they find a dead fish - ROLL IN IT!
So, make sure you have some strong dog shampoo at home. Last time we went camping I used Dawn dish detergent and one of my dogs had a skin allergic reaction.

Kate&David
Bully Ambassador

Postby Kate&David » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:04 pm

mine always bring them to me as a nice present.

raw fish is not supposed to be good for them, so dead fish must be even worse.

akaspaddero
Addicted to PBF

Postby akaspaddero » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:59 pm

Kateetdavid wrote:raw fish is not supposed to be good for them, so dead fish must be even worse.

Actually, I fed mine raw trout when they were doing a RAW diet...

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:11 pm

akaspaddero wrote:
Kateetdavid wrote:raw fish is not supposed to be good for them, so dead fish must be even worse.

Ditto...mine got whole tilapia and sardines...never had any problems.

lipshipsattitude
Bully Ambassador

Postby lipshipsattitude » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:52 pm

akaspaddero wrote:I don't know about the toxicity...
But I know what mine do when they find a dead fish - ROLL IN IT!
So, make sure you have some strong dog shampoo at home. Last time we went camping I used Dawn dish detergent and one of my dogs had a skin allergic reaction.

ditto!
My Dad drag nets and they had a pile of fish guts on the dock...Rory got to it before I saw it......that was her first ride in the back of a truck, LOL. Good thing too cause she puked, LOL!

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:06 pm

Certain raw fish (especially salmon and others in the same family, such as lake trout) can be infected with a parasite that is harmless to people but kills dogs. The parasite is common in the Pacific Northwest, so everyone there is careful not to let their dogs eat raw salmon. Cooking kills the parasites. Some dogs (especially dogs that belong to Alaskan natives) are immune to the parasite. Here's some information from a vet website:

Salmon (salmonid fish) and other anadromous fish can be infected with a parasite called Nanophyetus salmincola. Overall, the parasite is relatively harmless. The danger occurs when the parasite itself is infected with a rickettsial organism called Neorickettsia helminthoeca. It's this microorganism that causes salmon poisoning.

"Salmon poisoning is most prevalent west of the Cascade mountain range," says Dr. Bill Foreyt, a veterinary parasitologist at Washington State University's College of Veterinary Medicine. He adds, "Canids are the only species susceptible to salmon poisoning. That's why cats, raccoons and bears eat raw fish regularly without consequence."

Generally, clinical signs appear within six days of a dog eating an infected fish. Fever, diarrhea, weakness, and swollen lymph nodes are all common symptoms of salmon poisoning. Additionally, a dog may show weight loss and refuse to eat. Death usually occurs within fourteen days of eating the infected fish. Unfortunately, 90 percent of dogs showing symptoms die.

Thankfully, salmon poisoning is treatable if it's caught in time. A key to its diagnosis is telling your veterinarian that your dog ate raw fish. If you have a dog that wanders, or raids trash cans, and you are unsure of what it's eaten, salmon poisoning can be diagnosed with a fecal sample. Detecting the parasite's eggs as they are shed in the feces confirms its presence. The combination of symptoms plus the presence of eggs is enough to justify treatment.

Given the severity of the condition, treatment is relatively simple. Your veterinarian will prescribe an antibiotic and a "wormer." The drug kills the rickettsial organisms causing the illness, and the wormer kills the parasite. Once treatment has been started, most dogs show dramatic improvement within two days.

Kate&David
Bully Ambassador

Postby Kate&David » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:49 am

L Boogie wrote:
akaspaddero wrote:

really? I guess I was misinformed then.

Gatorpit
Addicted to PBF

Postby Gatorpit » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:52 am

Kateetdavid wrote:
L Boogie wrote:
akaspaddero wrote:

really? I guess I was misinformed then.

From what I've read (like Tiva's above post) it's not the raw fish themselves that can cause harm, but the parasites some may be harboring.

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:07 am

maggie is on a raw diet, and she gets raw salmon quite a bit (my brother is an avid fisherman).

i've been told that freezing the salmon for 8 weeks (or commercially frozen) is safe to feed.

i freeze all mine for MONTHS tho. not only am i paranoid, but i've always got so much of it that i can't get to it for a long time! i think the salmon i fed earlier this week was from last september! lol

defendabull
Addicted to PBF

Postby defendabull » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:07 pm

i suppose a fish laying in
the sun for god knows how
long is the thing to worry
about. i freak out when
my dogs eat something on
our walk, when they hoover
some unknown particle. it
makes me panic. it does not
happen frequent but dogs will
gobble stuff, i guess that is my
point.

meghannmay
Newborn Bully

Postby meghannmay » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:03 am

tiva wrote:Certain raw fish (especially salmon and others in the same family, such as lake trout) can be infected with a parasite that is harmless to people but kills dogs. The parasite is common in the Pacific Northwest, so everyone there is careful not to let their dogs eat raw salmon. Cooking kills the parasites. Some dogs (especially dogs that belong to Alaskan natives) are immune to the parasite. Here's some information from a vet website:

Salmon (salmonid fish) and other anadromous fish can be infected with a parasite called Nanophyetus salmincola. Overall, the parasite is relatively harmless. The danger occurs when the parasite itself is infected with a rickettsial organism called Neorickettsia helminthoeca. It's this microorganism that causes salmon poisoning.

"Salmon poisoning is most prevalent west of the Cascade mountain range," says Dr. Bill Foreyt, a veterinary parasitologist at Washington State University's College of Veterinary Medicine. He adds, "Canids are the only species susceptible to salmon poisoning. That's why cats, raccoons and bears eat raw fish regularly without consequence."

Generally, clinical signs appear within six days of a dog eating an infected fish. Fever, diarrhea, weakness, and swollen lymph nodes are all common symptoms of salmon poisoning. Additionally, a dog may show weight loss and refuse to eat. Death usually occurs within fourteen days of eating the infected fish. Unfortunately, 90 percent of dogs showing symptoms die.

Thankfully, salmon poisoning is treatable if it's caught in time. A key to its diagnosis is telling your veterinarian that your dog ate raw fish. If you have a dog that wanders, or raids trash cans, and you are unsure of what it's eaten, salmon poisoning can be diagnosed with a fecal sample. Detecting the parasite's eggs as they are shed in the feces confirms its presence. The combination of symptoms plus the presence of eggs is enough to justify treatment.

Given the severity of the condition, treatment is relatively simple. Your veterinarian will prescribe an antibiotic and a "wormer." The drug kills the rickettsial organisms causing the illness, and the wormer kills the parasite. Once treatment has been started, most dogs show dramatic improvement within two days.

when we went rafting right befor salmon season last year. we had it drilled in our heads to not let boomer eat any dead fish. thanks for the extra info though as no one could explain why except that "your dog will die!!"

PreciousPit
Newborn Bully

Postby PreciousPit » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:35 am

kaytenmags wrote:maggie is on a raw diet, and she gets raw salmon quite a bit (my brother is an avid fisherman).

i've been told that freezing the salmon for 8 weeks (or commercially frozen) is safe to feed.

i freeze all mine for MONTHS tho. not only am i paranoid, but i've always got so much of it that i can't get to it for a long time! i think the salmon i fed earlier this week was from last september! lol

:frown: Just be carefull,.... as this site says
http://www.pethomemagazine.com/dog.htm

says about salmon poisoning disease,

"How can it be prevented?

Do not allow your dog to catch or eat raw or cold processed salmonoid fish of any kind. As even cold prcessing will not kill the pathogen. If you choose to feed salmonids to your dog, make sure the fish is cooked or pressure canned. Watch your dog closely after any trip to make sure he is healthy. Needless to say, enjoy your trip but do not feed your dog raw salmonid fish. Instead, keep it, smoke it, and send it to me with plenty of bagels and cream cheese."

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:08 pm

i subtley asked my vet about it, and she said it was okay.
i didn't come out and say "i'm feeding my dog raw food including salmon" but i said that my dog had eaten a big chunk of salmon that she stole off the counter. i pointed out that it had been in my chest freezer for several months, and my vet said that was safe.

(yeah, i haven't fessed up to my vet yet about raw feeding. :oops: but she hasn't asked, so i haven't told her!)

TacoFlavoredKisses
Bully Ambassador

Postby TacoFlavoredKisses » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:22 pm

kaytenmags wrote:maggie is on a raw diet, and she gets raw salmon quite a bit (my brother is an avid fisherman).

I'm so jealous, I love salmon but have none in the freezer.

But would'nt fish be good for dogs since its pack with vitamins ans proteins plus people give dogs fish oils??

Return to “Health Issues”