what flea preventative do you use?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
User avatar
ilovetyson
Pit Bull Forum Addict
Posts: 1979
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:42 am
Location: Tampa Bay Florida

Postby ilovetyson » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:20 pm

I use Comfortis for my two. And my rescue is on Advantix. I was just on the phone with a friend.. and we were talking about frontline not working. :(

User avatar
Deniselynn
BANNED
Posts: 19244
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:34 pm
Location: Home of the OG, Al Capone
Contact:

Postby Deniselynn » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:35 pm

I don't think it is safe to use chemicals therefore I use a natural spray.

User avatar
pblove
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 15599
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:28 pm
Location: east coast

Postby pblove » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:20 am

Fleas, flies, ticks and bacteria, external parasites, ring worm, fungus, staphylococcus, streptococcus, pneumococcus, mange, etc., are unlikely to inhabit a dog whose system is acidic inside and out. Should you ever experience any of these with your dog, bathe with a nice gentle herbal shampoo -- one that you would use on your own hair -- rinse thoroughly, and then sponge on ACV diluted with equal amounts of warm water. Allow your dog to drip dry. It is not necessary to use harsh chemicals for minor flea infestations. All fleas drown in soapy water and the ACV rinse makes the skin too acidic for a re-infestation. If you are worried about picking up fleas when you take your dog away from home, keep some ACV in a spray bottle, and spray your dog before you leave home, and when you get back. Take some with you and keep it in the car, just in case you need it any time. Obviously for major infestations, more drastic measures are necessary. ACV normalizes the pH levels of the skin, makes your dog unpalatable to even the nastiest of bacteria and you have a dog that smells like a salad, a small price to pay! "

User avatar
myshell
Matured Bully
Posts: 546
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:56 pm
Location: Indiana
Contact:

Postby myshell » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:45 am

I use ACV for everything! I first started using ACV for the rescue birds I get in from time to time. After seeing what a big improvement in their overall health I started using it on my dogs.

I add some ACV to the water dish and I also rinse her after a bath with ACV water. I haven't had any fleas in 2 yrs (knock on wood).

Here's a link on ACV: http://naturalbird.com/mcwatters/acv.htm

User avatar
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 10721
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:33 pm
Location: Eastpointe, MI
Contact:

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:07 pm

Kinda off topic, but does anyone know if ACV is safe for cats? I was going to add it to Khan's water, but the cats drink from his water dish.

User avatar
Deniselynn
BANNED
Posts: 19244
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:34 pm
Location: Home of the OG, Al Capone
Contact:

Postby Deniselynn » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:20 pm

Sharon, great post! I believe pet owners are over medicating their pets way too much these days. It isn't necessary and causes more harm than good.

User avatar
pblove
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 15599
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:28 pm
Location: east coast

Postby pblove » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:44 pm

FBODGRL wrote:Kinda off topic, but does anyone know if ACV is safe for cats? I was going to add it to Khan's water, but the cats drink from his water dish.


yes it is safe for cats
see your pm's too

User avatar
twindc23
Bully Lover 4 Life
Posts: 1412
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:36 pm
Location: SoCal
Contact:

Postby twindc23 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:07 pm

Frontline Plus for both my dogs. Works fine. Plus a weekly bath with a shampoo w flea control.

:thumbsup:

User avatar
nygemma
Matured Bully
Posts: 524
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:09 am
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL

Postby nygemma » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:55 am

http://www.sergeantsnatural.com/
"active ingredients such as peppermint oil, cinnamon oil, lemon grass oil, thyme oil and eugenol."

I've been using this Seargents spray.
Frontline doesn't seem to work at all in southern Georgia.
My dogs were flea free until I brought them to my friends BBQ last weekend, and they came home with fleas, her dogs always have fleas.
DAMMMMMMN!
I immediately bathed them, but I've been picking fleas off of them all week now. That spray kills fleas immediately.
Have been doing the ACV in the water too, and garlic.

User avatar
Niobie
Newborn Bully
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:47 pm
Location: Ocean City, New Jersey

Postby Niobie » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:57 pm

pblove wrote:Fleas, flies, ticks and bacteria, external parasites, ring worm, fungus, staphylococcus, streptococcus, pneumococcus, mange, etc., are unlikely to inhabit a dog whose system is acidic inside and out. Should you ever experience any of these with your dog, bathe with a nice gentle herbal shampoo -- one that you would use on your own hair -- rinse thoroughly, and then sponge on ACV diluted with equal amounts of warm water. Allow your dog to drip dry. It is not necessary to use harsh chemicals for minor flea infestations. All fleas drown in soapy water and the ACV rinse makes the skin too acidic for a re-infestation. If you are worried about picking up fleas when you take your dog away from home, keep some ACV in a spray bottle, and spray your dog before you leave home, and when you get back. Take some with you and keep it in the car, just in case you need it any time. Obviously for major infestations, more drastic measures are necessary. ACV normalizes the pH levels of the skin, makes your dog unpalatable to even the nastiest of bacteria and you have a dog that smells like a salad, a small price to pay! "



if i use oatmeal shampoo on my dogs, will that still be fine? also, is there any specific type of ACV to use, can i go to the local grocery store and pick it up, and how much would i use to be diluted with water after their bath.. can i use it after every time i bathe them>

thanks

User avatar
pblove
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 15599
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:28 pm
Location: east coast

Postby pblove » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:15 pm

Niobie wrote:
pblove wrote:Fleas, flies, ticks and bacteria, external parasites, ring worm, fungus, staphylococcus, streptococcus, pneumococcus, mange, etc., are unlikely to inhabit a dog whose system is acidic inside and out. Should you ever experience any of these with your dog, bathe with a nice gentle herbal shampoo -- one that you would use on your own hair -- rinse thoroughly, and then sponge on ACV diluted with equal amounts of warm water. Allow your dog to drip dry. It is not necessary to use harsh chemicals for minor flea infestations. All fleas drown in soapy water and the ACV rinse makes the skin too acidic for a re-infestation. If you are worried about picking up fleas when you take your dog away from home, keep some ACV in a spray bottle, and spray your dog before you leave home, and when you get back. Take some with you and keep it in the car, just in case you need it any time. Obviously for major infestations, more drastic measures are necessary. ACV normalizes the pH levels of the skin, makes your dog unpalatable to even the nastiest of bacteria and you have a dog that smells like a salad, a small price to pay! "



if i use oatmeal shampoo on my dogs, will that still be fine? also, is there any specific type of ACV to use, can i go to the local grocery store and pick it up, and how much would i use to be diluted with water after their bath.. can i use it after every time i bathe them>

thanks

you need to get the ACV from a health food store, it needs to have the "mother' in it.
I also bumped a thread on uses of ACV for you to read over too.
If it is oatmeal shampoo you would use on your own hair then it should be fine .
Dilute the acv half and half with water .

User avatar
pitgrrl
Moderator
Posts: 5451
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:07 pm
Location: MTL
Contact:

Postby pitgrrl » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:44 pm

To sort of add to pb's and Denise's posts, I've gotten rid of and kept away fleas with the suggestions outlined in the Dr.Pitcairn book. More work certainly, but for me it's been worth it.

User avatar
breakarm87
Newborn Bully
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 1:57 am

Postby breakarm87 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:02 pm

Promeris sucks. Didn't do anything to any of the fleas. If anything Tidus seems like he has more now.

User avatar
jazminesgranny
Bully Lover 4 Life
Posts: 1497
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:41 pm
Location: Wadsworth NV

Postby jazminesgranny » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:34 pm

This is one of the many reason's why I love living in Reno..

NO FLEAS!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOHOOOo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

User avatar
someday
Bully Lover 4 Life
Posts: 1299
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:49 pm
Location: Texarkana, TX
Contact:

Postby someday » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:12 pm

Well, I'm giving the ACV a try. I'll let you know how it goes. dogs have been bathed and rinsed with diluted ACV. I know I need to buy some more ACV now!


Return to “Health Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests