what flea preventative do you use?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
ilovetyson
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby ilovetyson » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:20 pm

I use Comfortis for my two. And my rescue is on Advantix. I was just on the phone with a friend.. and we were talking about frontline not working. :(

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:35 pm

I don't think it is safe to use chemicals therefore I use a natural spray.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:20 am

Fleas, flies, ticks and bacteria, external parasites, ring worm, fungus, staphylococcus, streptococcus, pneumococcus, mange, etc., are unlikely to inhabit a dog whose system is acidic inside and out. Should you ever experience any of these with your dog, bathe with a nice gentle herbal shampoo -- one that you would use on your own hair -- rinse thoroughly, and then sponge on ACV diluted with equal amounts of warm water. Allow your dog to drip dry. It is not necessary to use harsh chemicals for minor flea infestations. All fleas drown in soapy water and the ACV rinse makes the skin too acidic for a re-infestation. If you are worried about picking up fleas when you take your dog away from home, keep some ACV in a spray bottle, and spray your dog before you leave home, and when you get back. Take some with you and keep it in the car, just in case you need it any time. Obviously for major infestations, more drastic measures are necessary. ACV normalizes the pH levels of the skin, makes your dog unpalatable to even the nastiest of bacteria and you have a dog that smells like a salad, a small price to pay! "

myshell
Matured Bully

Postby myshell » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:45 am

I use ACV for everything! I first started using ACV for the rescue birds I get in from time to time. After seeing what a big improvement in their overall health I started using it on my dogs.

I add some ACV to the water dish and I also rinse her after a bath with ACV water. I haven't had any fleas in 2 yrs (knock on wood).

Here's a link on ACV: http://naturalbird.com/mcwatters/acv.htm

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:07 pm

Kinda off topic, but does anyone know if ACV is safe for cats? I was going to add it to Khan's water, but the cats drink from his water dish.

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:20 pm

Sharon, great post! I believe pet owners are over medicating their pets way too much these days. It isn't necessary and causes more harm than good.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:44 pm

FBODGRL wrote:Kinda off topic, but does anyone know if ACV is safe for cats? I was going to add it to Khan's water, but the cats drink from his water dish.

yes it is safe for cats
see your pm's too

twindc23
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby twindc23 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:07 pm

Frontline Plus for both my dogs. Works fine. Plus a weekly bath with a shampoo w flea control.

:thumbsup:

nygemma
Matured Bully

Postby nygemma » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:55 am

http://www.sergeantsnatural.com/
"active ingredients such as peppermint oil, cinnamon oil, lemon grass oil, thyme oil and eugenol."

I've been using this Seargents spray.
Frontline doesn't seem to work at all in southern Georgia.
My dogs were flea free until I brought them to my friends BBQ last weekend, and they came home with fleas, her dogs always have fleas.
DAMMMMMMN!
I immediately bathed them, but I've been picking fleas off of them all week now. That spray kills fleas immediately.
Have been doing the ACV in the water too, and garlic.

Niobie
Newborn Bully

Postby Niobie » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:57 pm

pblove wrote:Fleas, flies, ticks and bacteria, external parasites, ring worm, fungus, staphylococcus, streptococcus, pneumococcus, mange, etc., are unlikely to inhabit a dog whose system is acidic inside and out. Should you ever experience any of these with your dog, bathe with a nice gentle herbal shampoo -- one that you would use on your own hair -- rinse thoroughly, and then sponge on ACV diluted with equal amounts of warm water. Allow your dog to drip dry. It is not necessary to use harsh chemicals for minor flea infestations. All fleas drown in soapy water and the ACV rinse makes the skin too acidic for a re-infestation. If you are worried about picking up fleas when you take your dog away from home, keep some ACV in a spray bottle, and spray your dog before you leave home, and when you get back. Take some with you and keep it in the car, just in case you need it any time. Obviously for major infestations, more drastic measures are necessary. ACV normalizes the pH levels of the skin, makes your dog unpalatable to even the nastiest of bacteria and you have a dog that smells like a salad, a small price to pay! "

if i use oatmeal shampoo on my dogs, will that still be fine? also, is there any specific type of ACV to use, can i go to the local grocery store and pick it up, and how much would i use to be diluted with water after their bath.. can i use it after every time i bathe them>

thanks

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:15 pm

Niobie wrote:
pblove wrote:Fleas, flies, ticks and bacteria, external parasites, ring worm, fungus, staphylococcus, streptococcus, pneumococcus, mange, etc., are unlikely to inhabit a dog whose system is acidic inside and out. Should you ever experience any of these with your dog, bathe with a nice gentle herbal shampoo -- one that you would use on your own hair -- rinse thoroughly, and then sponge on ACV diluted with equal amounts of warm water. Allow your dog to drip dry. It is not necessary to use harsh chemicals for minor flea infestations. All fleas drown in soapy water and the ACV rinse makes the skin too acidic for a re-infestation. If you are worried about picking up fleas when you take your dog away from home, keep some ACV in a spray bottle, and spray your dog before you leave home, and when you get back. Take some with you and keep it in the car, just in case you need it any time. Obviously for major infestations, more drastic measures are necessary. ACV normalizes the pH levels of the skin, makes your dog unpalatable to even the nastiest of bacteria and you have a dog that smells like a salad, a small price to pay! "

if i use oatmeal shampoo on my dogs, will that still be fine? also, is there any specific type of ACV to use, can i go to the local grocery store and pick it up, and how much would i use to be diluted with water after their bath.. can i use it after every time i bathe them>

thanks

you need to get the ACV from a health food store, it needs to have the "mother' in it.
I also bumped a thread on uses of ACV for you to read over too.
If it is oatmeal shampoo you would use on your own hair then it should be fine .
Dilute the acv half and half with water .

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:44 pm

To sort of add to pb's and Denise's posts, I've gotten rid of and kept away fleas with the suggestions outlined in the Dr.Pitcairn book. More work certainly, but for me it's been worth it.

breakarm87
Newborn Bully

Postby breakarm87 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:02 pm

Promeris sucks. Didn't do anything to any of the fleas. If anything Tidus seems like he has more now.

jazminesgranny
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jazminesgranny » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:34 pm

This is one of the many reason's why I love living in Reno..

NO FLEAS!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOHOOOo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

someday
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby someday » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:12 pm

Well, I'm giving the ACV a try. I'll let you know how it goes. dogs have been bathed and rinsed with diluted ACV. I know I need to buy some more ACV now!

Return to “Health Issues”