what flea preventative do you use?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Niobie
Newborn Bully

Postby Niobie » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:33 pm

pblove wrote:
Niobie wrote:
pblove wrote:Fleas, flies, ticks and bacteria, external parasites, ring worm, fungus, staphylococcus, streptococcus, pneumococcus, mange, etc., are unlikely to inhabit a dog whose system is acidic inside and out. Should you ever experience any of these with your dog, bathe with a nice gentle herbal shampoo -- one that you would use on your own hair -- rinse thoroughly, and then sponge on ACV diluted with equal amounts of warm water. Allow your dog to drip dry. It is not necessary to use harsh chemicals for minor flea infestations. All fleas drown in soapy water and the ACV rinse makes the skin too acidic for a re-infestation. If you are worried about picking up fleas when you take your dog away from home, keep some ACV in a spray bottle, and spray your dog before you leave home, and when you get back. Take some with you and keep it in the car, just in case you need it any time. Obviously for major infestations, more drastic measures are necessary. ACV normalizes the pH levels of the skin, makes your dog unpalatable to even the nastiest of bacteria and you have a dog that smells like a salad, a small price to pay! "

if i use oatmeal shampoo on my dogs, will that still be fine? also, is there any specific type of ACV to use, can i go to the local grocery store and pick it up, and how much would i use to be diluted with water after their bath.. can i use it after every time i bathe them>

thanks

you need to get the ACV from a health food store, it needs to have the "mother' in it.
I also bumped a thread on uses of ACV for you to read over too.
If it is oatmeal shampoo you would use on your own hair then it should be fine .
Dilute the acv half and half with water .

the oatmeal shampoo i used is for dogs, its by Perfect Coat. i picked it up at petsmart, i like it because it doesnt dry out their skin, and help keeps their coat smooth

nygemma
Matured Bully

Postby nygemma » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:47 pm

http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/D ... ention.php

This page has great reading material. I bought the expensive ACV at the health food store today. Bought Dr.Bronners peppermint soap and diluted it and washed Guinness with it.
DUH, was looking at the couple of essential oils they had and bought rosemary, thinking that it was the repellent. But now I'm not sure if it's safe for the dogs. I put a drop in a new spray bottle and diluted it with water and sprayed a little on them. Is it dangerous?
I should have bought the lavender. Now the dogs smell like XMAS.
The above linked page says to put rosemary on their collars. I'm gonna spray their bandanas with it. HELP, is diluted rosemary safe?

mom2bennientiny
Super Bully

Postby mom2bennientiny » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:43 am

Deniselynn wrote:I don't think it is safe to use chemicals therefore I use a natural spray.

Same here! Stopped using flea preventatives 3 years ago and have yet to have a problem. Even adopted a kitten last October covered in fleas and was able to confine her to the bathroom and get rid of the flea infestation on her within 3-4 days without it spreading throughout the house. Natural sprays before each trip outside for prevention, DE (diatomaceous earth) on hand at home in case fleas ever do show up. Doesn't really surprise me either that fleas are building up a resistance to the handful of topical treatments on the market.

Zagari
Addicted to PBF

Postby Zagari » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:34 pm

I've used Frontline for ages now. It seems like the last few times I've bought it, it hasn't done a thing for the fleas. Emily has some allergies so her skin reacts terribly to them. She's always got huge welps on her.

I think I'm going to try some of the remedies mentioned in this thread. Thanks all!!!

My Mojo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby My Mojo » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:40 pm

We use Promeris. It does have a strong smell, but if you apply it outside and stay out a little while, the smell diminishes well. Nothing else gets it around here..we have Navy Seal fleas :frown:

Return to “Health Issues”