Nick has bone cancer (leg)

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Nick has bone cancer (leg)

Postby Nickdawg » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:37 am

It's an osteosarcoma - just found out today, lots of tears and now I think I'm just in shock. In leg and of course will spread and likely already has...he's a very special boy and I am heartbroken.

He's had arthritis for about 5 years so when he had some swelling in the leg and was limping late last week, I thought that was the cause. However when it did not go away and limp got way worse I took him in today and got x-rays. Because he is 10 and has really bad arthritis I am fairly sure I am not going to amputate, the vet said he was not a good candidate due to the arthritis. So I am going to do pain management and lots of spoiling until it's time to say good-bye :teardrops: :teardrops:

It was a new vet (as wanted to get in today) so I am going to call my regular one (same clinic) to talk more.

Right now was on 2-3 Tramadol a day, 50mg (for what I thought was solely arthritis) - got the ok to go up to 6/day. Will still do Metacam (max dose). btw he weighs 34 kg. Also prescribed Gabapentin (nerve blocker) - haven't filled it yet as I tried it for my back pain for a week and it totally f'ed up my head and did not stay on it... it makes me leary, I don't want him to feel like that :frown: We also discussed a pain patch fentanyl for later. Anyway like I said going to call my regular vet b/c after reading and thinking more not sure Tramadol is really strong enough.... he is not doing much weight bearing on that leg, is not wanting to walk far before he lies down, some yelps here and there, still wagging, happy, eating and drinking.

This came on quick - had x-rays of legs done 3 mos ago and all looked good.

Anyway any advice on pain meds, names, dose, stages etc. would be very helpful. I have found some good web sites but doesn't get into detail on that....

thanks,
Michelle

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:59 am

So sorry to hear :(
When you spoil him rotten, make sure you don't over feed and make him gain weight - it will be worse on him and increase the pain because of the strain on his frame.

More hugs, kisses and cuddles than fat juicy steaks :thumbsup:

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:02 am

:hug:

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:50 am

I'm so very sorry you are going through this... Enjoy every minute you have together!!!!! HUGS

There are specific drug protocols for that type of cancer if you decide to go that route.

There are also holistic things and of course the pain killers to help improve quality of life.

Really best IMO to discuss all your options with an oncologist.

There is a really good yahoo group who should be able to help answer your questions and give you some more emotional support along with the vets.
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Cani ... roup&slk=1

here is the page that lists many other yahoo cancer groups:

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:44 am

i am so sorry to hear this, i just lost my 13 1/2 year old rott mix to osteosarcoma, he had it in his legs and lungs when he was diagnosed..
i did only pain management for him, and kept him comfortable until it was time.. my prayers go out to you.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:26 am

:hug: :pray :hug:

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:40 am

I'm so sorry. :hug:

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:43 am

I am very sorry to hear about Nick :hug:

BTW, Tramadol is a general painkiller for any dog of pain dogs get.

PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitFriend » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:44 am

I'm so so sorry. My 16 year old husky was diagnosed with osteosarcoma about four months ago, so I know what you're going through. Her situation is similar.. because of her age and existing arthritis we elected not to amputate. We've just been doing an anti-inflammatory and Tramadol to keep her comfortable.

Before you jump into the fentanyl patch, read up on it as much as you can first. I know some people have had success with it, but it comes with a lot of risks and side effects so just be aware of those.

Like BrokenAquarian mentioned, definitely watch his weight and try not to let it get out of control. It's hard because they're not exercising really, but I think with my girl being on the slimmer side it has helped her out a lot.

Make the most of the time you have. You're in my thoughts. :hug:

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:58 am

I'm so sorry. :sad:
Jen

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:12 am

:hug:

jenn&aala
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jenn&aala » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:24 am

more :hug: :hug: to you and Nick

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:20 am

thanks guys, I came online this morning knowing I would receive much needed hugs as I have seen how supportive this forum can be... thanks for the links too. I will be phoning the regular vet today to talk more. If Tramadol is strong enough I'm fine to stick with that. Will definitely spoil him more with hugs than food and he's really fussy anyway (turns down hot dogs!). He's actually a good weight and has good muscle which helps. Damn, this is hard :crybaby: thanks again.

julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:06 pm

:hug: to you & Nick.

CinderDee
Bully Ambassador

Postby CinderDee » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:09 pm

I'm so very sorry. :hug: You & Nick will be in my thoughts.

Return to “Health Issues”