Skin Allergies

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
pitbullet
Newborn Bully

Skin Allergies

Postby pitbullet » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:24 am

Hi everyone--

I'm sure that something along these lines have been posted before, but I'm kind of an idiot when it comes to these boards and search didn't come up with anything.

My 5 y.o pup has been having skin allergies off and on since I've had her--she's been to different vets numerous times, who usually give her antibiotics.

I've tried switching her food (she was on Nutro, now she's eating Natural Balance venison & sweet potato), but I don't think there's much of a difference. I've given her benadryl before, but it rarely helps.

As for preventative measures, I give her omega-3 fish oil.

The bumps aren't so severe that there's hair loss, but I just hate seeing her scratch so much. :frown: I'd post pictures so you guys had a better idea, but I'm at work and have none here.

I'm going to the vet again this afternoon when I get out of work, but I thought I'd see if you guys had any advice of what to do--I feel like there has to be something, at the least a good anti itch cream or spot spray.

Thanks in advance :)

damienApbt

Postby damienApbt » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:30 am

rod has pretty bad skin allergies and sensetive skin. After a bath with too much soap he gets filled with bumps. Enviromental allergies too, especially in between seasons.
But I switched rod to raw food to eliminate grains from his diet.
You could also try some benedryl

pitbullet
Newborn Bully

Postby pitbullet » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:33 am

I tried benadryl, but it doesn't seem to do much--maybe because I gave her 1 25 mg pill a day--I'm afraid of over-medicating :/

bellabear
Forum Junky

Postby bellabear » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:41 am

We are on a food trial with my dog too, so I know what you are going through. My vet told me you could give your dog 1 mg for every pound. So my dog weighs 52lbs, so I should give her 2 pills. Maybe you should ask your vet how much you should give your dog, so you feel more comfortble doing so.

pitbullet
Newborn Bully

Postby pitbullet » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:43 am

Yeah, I'm going to ask him about that today. Thanks :)

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:16 pm

bellabear wrote:My vet told me you could give your dog 1 mg for every pound. So my dog weighs 52lbs, so I should give her 2 pills.

Our 42 lbs guy won't respond to benadryl if we don't give 2 mg/lb. He gets 3-4 pills. Dogs metabolize it differently than we do, so their dosage is much higher than our own.
:thumbsup:

cayennes_momma
Newborn Bully

Postby cayennes_momma » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:24 pm

pitbullet - this sounds very similar to my dog. She was licking her paws and biting at her legs very shortly after we got her. It progressively got worse, she started scratching all over the place! It was horrible. She had bumps all over her back, with hair falling out. She scratched at her face so bad she lost hair around her eyes. We couldn't figure out what the problem was, and the vet had no idea - we were treating for everything. It wasn't until we put her on the vet prescribed allergy formula that everything finally cleared up. Once she went awhile with no bumps and no itching, we put her back on her old food for a few days, and voila, the itching and bumps returned. I never knew food allergies could get so bad. Now we're trying to figure out what ingredient she's allergic to, but at least we have a cause.

Anyway, I just wanted to fill you in on my dogs symptoms so you might be able to narrow things down. If the Venison and sweet potato doesn't clear things up, don't rule out food allergies until you've tried a hypoallergenic formula. Also, it can take several weeks for the symptoms to go away, so make sure you stick with the food trial for 12 weeks. No other treats while on the food trial, otherwise you won't be able to rule food allergy out.

I hope that helps. I know how frustrating and expensive it can be trying to figure out skin problems in dogs.

sammy
Newborn Bully

Postby sammy » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:49 pm

Same here,

We had a very bad period of skin allergies in the summer (bumps all over her back and legs)... They would suddenly appear out of the blue and would retreat after antibiotics and Antihistamine shots and tablets..

In winter it seems to have disappeared for two months until now it is appearing again (still winter)..

So were back were we started ,

I am switching her to Raw tomorrow (k9 natural) hopefully it will help her a bit.. at the very least she will be on a good diet..

We did get a cat 2 weeks ago..?! Last thing we needed haha the dog being allergic to cats ;)

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:31 pm

Try a dermatologist...

bellabear
Forum Junky

Postby bellabear » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:41 pm

Allie wrote:
bellabear wrote:My vet told me you could give your dog 1 mg for every pound. So my dog weighs 52lbs, so I should give her 2 pills.

Our 42 lbs guy won't respond to benadryl if we don't give 2 mg/lb. He gets 3-4 pills. Dogs metabolize it differently than we do, so their dosage is much higher than our own.
:thumbsup:

I would give Bella 2 pills and they didn't work for her, and I was too scared to give her more than that :oops: Does it just make them sleepy or just makes them stop scratching? Hopefully soon, I wont have to worry about that.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:59 am

They don't make Shades sleepy. :dunno:

myshell
Matured Bully

Postby myshell » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:12 am

After I give Toby a bath I rinse her with water mixed with a little apple cider vinegar. I also have some mixed into a spray bottle and I spray her before we go for walks. It helps alot with skin allergys and dry skin.

Legend
Adolescent Bully

Postby Legend » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:55 am

5 syllables : Hydrocortisone :cheerleader:

pitbullet
Newborn Bully

Postby pitbullet » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:03 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone--

I went to the vet after work and she's on antibiotics now, and got a cortisone shot. Things are clearing up nicely with the shot, even after 2 days :thumbsup:

I also bought some shampoo- Sulfoxydex- which I'm going to bathe her with tonight--I'll let you guys know if this stuff works, I'm supposed to use it 1x/5 days for a month or so-- my vet said its great for hair regrowth too.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:44 pm

So, do you know what caused the reaction? or have an appointment for testing?
I'm glad she seems to be getting some relief! :hug:

Return to “Health Issues”