Just switched foods!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
MyDogsRock022
Newborn Bully

Just switched foods!

Postby MyDogsRock022 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:55 pm

My dogs were doing great on Diamond but recently it was tearing up Nikki's tummy. This poor dog had toxic gas 24-7 and the runs everytime she went outside. I just got them Purina Pro Plan Naturals, does anybody know if this is good stuff? I had a sample of a holistic food that Nikki chowed but it is 60 bucks a bag =(

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:12 pm

Take a look at the ingredients. Are there preservatives? By-products? Food dye? A lot of fillers?

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:18 am

Turkey, brewers rice, pearled barley, chicken meal (natural source of glucosamine), corn gluten meal, oat meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), dried egg product, fish meal (natural source of glucosamine), pea fiber, dried beet pulp, fish oil, animal digest, calcium phosphate, potassium chloride, salt, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, calcium carbonate, dried tomatoes, blueberry pomace, dried sweet potatoes, Vitamin E supplement, zinc proteinate, manganese proteinate, choline chloride, ferrous sulfate, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), niacin, copper proteinate, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, garlic oil, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.

As with most purina products, its a bit grain heavy, which is why you see the price difference you do. They've jumped on the bandwagon with all the pinches of pretty things like blueberries and sweet potato (as with most foods there is less of these ingredients than salt and calcium, so really whats the point?). Since its a newer product, if you're happy with the Purina foods and your pup does well on them, you might just go with regular Pro Plan and save some money.

I've personally found the Pro Plan products to be excellent foods for those who can't afford and/or find the better meat-based, whole ingredient type foods. Others will call it junk, but I have had excellent experiences, and my foster kittens are currently chowing down on Pro plan, even though my own cats are eating Wellness. All of the best foods are still "all life stages" and I was taught puppies and kittens need puppy and kitten foods.

Don't freak out and throw the bag away though, switching foods too fast will cause more toxic toots instead of less. Finish the bag and see how your pup does... and then make adjustments from there.

angus
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby angus » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:33 am

Even when Purina tries to get it right..they still cant.
Here are some of the ingredients for the naturals lamb & rice:
The first ingredient is lamb, which is ok, but it goes downhill from there.
Brewers Rice
Corn gluten meal
Whole grain wheat
Oatmeal
Pearled barley
Dried beet pulp
Basically this food as with most of the purina stuff is grains and fillers. Not the best things to feed a dog.

6pak
Bully Ambassador

Postby 6pak » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:47 am

What can't Purina get right? Once again I would like to post this link for the newbies. The credentials on this site CANNOT be discredited.
http://www.petdiets.com/default.asp?Men ... ingred.asp

If your dog is doing well on Purina, why switch?

MyDogsRock022
Newborn Bully

Postby MyDogsRock022 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:49 am

The problem I am having is they have really bad gas!!! I was told that Diamond is sometimes just too rich for their tummys. I would really love to go holistic but I can't afford 60 bucks a bag, with the size of my dogs food goes quick. Sorry if I am not on the ball about fillers and stuff, I have never really had any pets I had to care for and find a good quality food. Thanks for the feedbacks guy, as you always you all are a godsend to me. I haven't opened the new bag of purina yet so I am just wondering what the hell I do now... Do I take it back or keep it.....grrrr chosing baby formula for a newborn is simplier than this :dunno:

MyDogsRock022
Newborn Bully

Postby MyDogsRock022 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:50 am

The problem I am having is they have really bad gas!!! I was told that Diamond is sometimes just too rich for their tummys. I would really love to go holistic but I can't afford 60 bucks a bag, with the size of my dogs food goes quick. Sorry if I am not on the ball about fillers and stuff, I have never really had any pets I had to care for and find a good quality food. Thanks for the feedbacks guy, as you always you all are a godsend to me. I haven't opened the new bag of purina yet so I am just wondering what the hell I do now... Do I take it back or keep it.....grrrr chosing baby formula for a newborn is simplier than this :dunno:

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:26 am

www.canidae.com All Life Stages.. 40 lbs of food for anywhere between $32-40 a bag. i fed 3 large dogs this food for a few years,each bag lasted me 6 weeks feeding 3 dogs 2x a day. its a good food, and priced well

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:26 am

www.canidae.com All Life Stages.. 40 lbs of food for anywhere between $32-40 a bag. i fed 3 large dogs this food for a few years,each bag lasted me 6 weeks feeding 3 dogs 2x a day. its a good food, and priced well

the better the food the less you feed too

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:52 am

My boy Shades gets HORRIBLE gas from anything with corn (or corn byproducts) in it.

Mine all do great on Canidae. We pay $39 now for a 40lb bag.

6pak
Bully Ambassador

Postby 6pak » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:53 am

MyDogsRock022 wrote:The problem I am having is they have really bad gas!!! I was told that Diamond is sometimes just too rich for their tummys. I would really love to go holistic but I can't afford 60 bucks a bag, with the size of my dogs food goes quick. Sorry if I am not on the ball about fillers and stuff, I have never really had any pets I had to care for and find a good quality food. Thanks for the feedbacks guy, as you always you all are a godsend to me. I haven't opened the new bag of purina yet so I am just wondering what the hell I do now... Do I take it back or keep it.....grrrr chosing baby formula for a newborn is simplier than this :dunno:

Keep it, and see how well your dog does on it. Also read through that site I posted.

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:46 am

6pak wrote:The credentials on this site CANNOT be discredited.

This site maybe cannot be discredited but they are just trying to sell something, like everyone else. For just $250 for your first dog . . .

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:48 am

Purina One is better than most. Don't freak out. Don't throw it out.

But for your money, you could get Kirkland from Costco, for less than Purina One. 40lbs. is $20bucks more or less a buck.
They have chicken/rice and lamb/rice.
Diamond NATURALS is closet to Kirkland if you don't have a Costco card or costco nearby.
If neither are available in your area, check out Walmart's Maxximum. It's not quite as good but close.

6pak
Bully Ambassador

Postby 6pak » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:57 am

Beowulf wrote:
6pak wrote:The credentials on this site CANNOT be discredited.

This site maybe cannot be discredited but they are just trying to sell something, like everyone else. For just $250 for your first dog . . .

Sorry, but there is a lot of free and accurate information about dog food on that site. They do not sell dog food or any products. And what they do say about kibble actually goes against their best interest, if money was their best interest. That $250 for a consultation with a DAVCM because your dog has a medical issue and cannot eat kibble is a bargain. Read through the FAQ's.

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:10 am

I did read through the FAQs. I'm just saying, for every website like this out there, there is one saying "NO! NO! That's not true." What it all boils down to is what works for you and your dogs.

I fed mine Purina Beneful for years and only stopped because I have a guzzler who I was afraid was going to choke to death. He couldn't eat dry food at all without hoovering it. Now I feed them all raw and it works for us. They look better than ever before. I've saved tons of money because they are never have stomach or anal gland issues like they used to. Their coats are shiny and allergies are gone.

To each his own.

Return to “Health Issues”