When does growth stop?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
MyDogsRock022
Newborn Bully

When does growth stop?

Postby MyDogsRock022 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:10 pm

I have heard many people tell me that pit bulls do not technically stop growing physically until they are two?
The vet told me that they are considered adults at 6 months and to put them on adult food. Have you guys heard anything about any of this?

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:14 pm

They generally gain height in their first year and fill out more in their second year. No, I wouldn't feed puppy food that entire time, personally. You may get some other opinions here too, though.

Jorsher
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Jorsher » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:15 pm

I'm sticking with puppy food until about a year old, or until she seems to stop growing. When her weight stabilizes and she's a year or older, I'll probably switch to adult.

I'm not a professional either, so maybe someone else will chime in.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:48 pm

Growth stops when the growth plates close, which varies greatly by size. For a 30 pound dog, probably around 8 months is more accurate. For a 10 pound dog, it can be earlier, and for large breed dogs like mastiffs and danes, growth doesn't stop until 14-18 months of age!

If you have a smaller pit, then switching to adult food at 6 months would be OK (I still prefer 8 months minimum), but if its over 50 pounds, keep it on the puppy food, preferably large breed compatible puppy food until 8-12 months.

MJay
Newborn Bully

Postby MJay » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:52 pm

I was told by my vet to put my puppy on adolescent food when shes 6 months and then switch to adult food at 8 months. She said they mature a little faster than other large breed dogs.

And Id never keep a large breed dog on puppy food for a year. Their energy and destruction levels would be thru the roof. I have a friend with a large black lab mix and she calmed down a lot when switched to adult food at 1 yr old. Before that she was a terror and near impossible to control.

MyDogsRock022
Newborn Bully

Postby MyDogsRock022 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:08 pm

Nala just turned one around May 31st, she weighs 83 pounds. I have done the rib feel and I can feel them but she still has alot of skin to grow into, I can easily grab a handfull. I think it may be because she possibly is suspected to being a mastiff/pit mix.
Nikki is 8 months and weighs 63 pounds, looking at her you can't even tell. Nikki is really solid.
I asked this question because I wanted to buy them really nice leather collars, I was told not to spend over 50.00 because neither of them are done growing and after a year their neck size will still expand.
I wish I could see what Nala's parents looked like,where she came from, her littermates, etc. Nikki's dad was a big boy he weighed about 110 pounds and momma was about 75-80 pounds. Nikki came from a litter of 11!!

chia pit
Matured Bully

Postby chia pit » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:22 pm

Misskiwi67 wrote:Growth stops when the growth plates close, which varies greatly by size. For a 30 pound dog, probably around 8 months is more accurate. For a 10 pound dog, it can be earlier, and for large breed dogs like mastiffs and danes, growth doesn't stop until 14-18 months of age!

If you have a smaller pit, then switching to adult food at 6 months would be OK (I still prefer 8 months minimum), but if its over 50 pounds, keep it on the puppy food, preferably large breed compatible puppy food until 8-12 months.

:thumbsup: for Danes and Mastiffs there growth stops at 18 months for females and 2 to 3 years for males ,but no puppy food for these big guys :thumbsup:

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:02 am

chia pit wrote: :thumbsup: for Danes and Mastiffs there growth stops at 18 months for females and 2 to 3 years for males ,but no puppy food for these big guys :thumbsup:

Growth plates in equines close at 2-3 years... I'd love to radiograph your 18 month old danes... or see your hip rads for your 2 year olds...

No puppy food?? Totally outdated information. True, most large breed foods aren't formulated correctly either (poor labeling sadly), but by choosing a correct food you're doing MUCH better than just using adult food. Slowing growth with reduced calories is not enough, you need to also closely regulate calcium levels while still providing MORE protein than the average adult food.

Feeding your average "all life stages" food to a large breed puppy could very well be disasterous, I've seen calcium as high as 4%.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:04 am

MJay wrote:And Id never keep a large breed dog on puppy food for a year. Their energy and destruction levels would be thru the roof. I have a friend with a large black lab mix and she calmed down a lot when switched to adult food at 1 yr old. Before that she was a terror and near impossible to control.

Do you feel MORE energized when you consume more calories, more fat and more protein? No, you usually feel sated and want to take a nap.

The dog likely became calmer due to age, not the food.

Return to “Health Issues”