How much food?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Dozer
Addicted to PBF

How much food?

Postby Dozer » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:01 pm

so how much food a day should dozer be getting? hes about 79 lbs, gets a good amount of excercise. he gets to go to his grandparents house and run around their yard ALL day. id say 4-5 days out of the week. how much food should he get? i had a friend told me 2 cups a day..but that doesnt seem like very much at all. im feeding him merrick too if that makes any difference. thanks.

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:07 pm

My gigantic red boy, he weighs in at 77 lbs., who is lazier than a turtle crossing the road only gets two cups of kibble a day, and trust me he is just fine...LOL...now my female who is much more active, and we work her fairly hard, she gets roughly two to three cups of kibble, and some steam veggies in the with it, and my two youngst, get two cups of kibble a day, and all seem to be fine, very healthy, and not straving. I believe the higher quality of the food, means feeding less. All of my dogs, all four for the moment, are just fine with the amount, and are not in anyway skinny, or hurting. How much are feeding him now?

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:19 pm

Hmmm... 2 cups seems a little light for a dog of that weight. I'm not extremely familiar with all forms of kibble, though. My boy is 55lbs and gets 3-4 cups a day split between two meals, but he is also on a vegetarian diet. I know folks who feed very meaty kibble that feed meals significantly less in size than that.

Dozer
Addicted to PBF

Postby Dozer » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:09 pm

hes 79 lbs, and we are currently feeding him 3-4 cups a day, 1-2 in the morn, and 1-2 at night. merrick, hes on the turkey thanksgiving or something like that. a single cup just looks so small to me. hes getting a good amount of excercise though, thats why i was curious.

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:49 pm

If he looks good, not too fat, not too skinny, you're probably feeding the right amount.

My dogs vary with their food intake. Lexus, 55 lbs, eats 2 cups a day. Duke, 58 lbs, eats about 3-4 cups a day. Shelby, 28 lbs, eats 3 cups a day.

I just go by their physical appearance.

Zexel
Newborn Bully

Postby Zexel » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:28 pm

Roxie is 50 lbs, and Brynlee is 46 lbs. They both look great, and are hungry for breakfast and dinner. They get 2 cups total a day. 1 cup in am, 1 cup in pm. Neither have lost a pound in over 5-6 weeks.

Dozer
Addicted to PBF

Postby Dozer » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:52 pm

hmm..ive lowered it to 1.5 cups in the morn and 1.5 cup in the night, we'll see how he does. thanks everyone. :thumbsup:

Return to “Health Issues”