Any Suggestions?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Megan
Bully Lover 4 Life

Any Suggestions?

Postby Megan » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:36 am

I believe Gavin has a sensitive stomach.

He can't have treats, they make him sick.

He was on Annamate when we first got him, something we got from the vets..saw it wasn't really the greatest food, and when he started to get soft stools switched him off of that.

I thought maybe the corn, or chicken had a something to do with the stools.

He was put onto Natures Variety, Lamb. Again, he's been fine for months- hasn't had treats, table scraps, and boom-- we've started with runny stools again. Put him on hamburger and rice per the vet, and stools went back to normal. Added in some kibble, and they are back to being runny...Remove the kibble, they are fine.

Any suggestions on what to try out? A different brand? I've tried adding plain yogurt into the NV, but that didn't really help either.

I'm at a loss as to what to feed this dog. We're going back to the vets July 7th, for his yearly check-up so will see if she can offer any more suggestions to try, too.

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:26 pm

Unfortunately I don't really have any specific kibble suggestions since after years of trying to find something that would work for Streets I just gave up on kibble all together.

However, looking back now I think I should have tried something with very limited ingredients (California Natural maybe? ) as I've certainly noticed a relationship between trying to feed too many things at once, all of which may individually be fine, but together in one meal cause problems. Simpler has always proven to be better in my experience.

Another weird thing I've noticed is that if I feed one meat source for a long time, Streets seems to stop being able to deal with it. Once he's gotten a break I can re-introduce it and he's fine. Totally weird, but it's happened time and time again.

Adding a digestive enzyme may also help things out.

tigger
Newborn Bully

Postby tigger » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:00 pm

My Boston pukes if he is on anything but Wellness. Having a dog with a sensitive stomach can be rough. It really can be a crapshoot going from food to food. I had a lot of success with Natural Balance. He went down from being sick a few times a day to once every couple of days. After about 4 years on it my vet recommended Wellness. She is a huge Wellness fan. And she was right. I hit pay dirt. They have a Fish and Sweet Potato formula that is highly regarded for sensitive dogs.

Megan
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Megan » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:39 pm

I'll have to check the wellness out. He did fine on the NV for months, and then just like the previous food, out of no where it started.

He also can't live on the hamburger and rice forever.

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:25 pm

Have you ever tried a grain-free kibble? I'm not anti-grain but I did find that my dog's stools firmed up after switching to a grain-free kibble.

I also experienced some possible reactions to certain treats I fed her (dehydrated lamb lung, dehydrated beef liver) but she's fine with dehydrated chicken liver and Solid Gold and Zuke's Naturals treats.

Return to “Health Issues”