Kennel Cough??

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
User avatar
PreciousPit
Newborn Bully
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:33 pm
Location: Clarksville, TN
Contact:

Kennel Cough??

Postby PreciousPit » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:40 am

ok my one rescue pit Jasmine has had problems with a cough that comes once or twice a year, she has NOT been to the vet recently or anywhere but our yard. Its not fenced in, they go out on a tieout. I can't remember how long it lasted for last time.

I have 4 dogs total and she is the only one who keeps getting this, its sounds like a raspy barking-like cough, that will go in fits. like if I even go in to the dog room... I hate to disturb her cause then it takes a while for it to settle down. and I feel sooo bad for her, she coughs till she gags.. sometimes throws up just a little bit. :frown:

I have taken her to the vet twice before, and they said the same thing both times... " could be kennel cough, its hard to tell"
then they give her something to help calm down the coughing... I think they gave something else too, but can't remember if it was a antibioitc or not.

I thought kennel cough was very contagious?? SOOOO if it was this wouldn't my other dogs get it too.

which makes me think, its gotta be something else. since she is the only one who gets this.
Is there anything else thats like kennel cough, or medical problems that could just be something genetic???
anything?


thanks Lisa

Chili Peppers
Adolescent Bully
Posts: 344
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: www.sasha.petfinder.com
Contact:

Postby Chili Peppers » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:10 am

Not all dogs will catch kennel cough. If your other dogs have a good immune system, then they are likely not to have it.

Was Jasmine's heart checked ?

User avatar
Jorsher
Bully Lover 4 Life
Posts: 1186
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:05 am
Location: Madison, AL

Postby Jorsher » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:05 am

I'm not very experienced with health issues, but has she been checked for parasites or is she on a preventative medication?

I don't know about other worms, but I know round worms' "life cycle" includes them being coughed out of the lungs and then swallowed into the stomach. When my puppy had worms, she coughed a lot.

User avatar
OlympianAB
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 6187
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:08 pm
Location: In never never land.

Postby OlympianAB » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:52 pm

i work at a kennel... and one dog can have kennel cough, they dont ALL get it.. sometimes only one dog will get the strand.

User avatar
PreciousPit
Newborn Bully
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:33 pm
Location: Clarksville, TN
Contact:

Postby PreciousPit » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:31 am

Chili Peppers wrote:Not all dogs will catch kennel cough. If your other dogs have a good immune system, then they are likely not to have it.

Was Jasmine's heart checked ?


I don't remember if her heart was checked, are you thinking of heartworms?

its been at LEAST 6mo since shes had this cough last time.
and it just started again 2days ago.

I've been planning on taking her in when my husband gets paid.

I hope its not heartworm :frown:

User avatar
PreciousPit
Newborn Bully
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:33 pm
Location: Clarksville, TN
Contact:

Postby PreciousPit » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:37 am

OlympianAB wrote:i work at a kennel... and one dog can have kennel cough, they dont ALL get it.. sometimes only one dog will get the strand.


but why would it keep coming back again?
this is the 3rd time she has had this.

I also wondered if maybe allergens could do this? but probably not just trying to figure it out.

User avatar
bushkilldogo
Newborn Bully
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 5:53 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Postby bushkilldogo » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:20 pm

I am no expert but when I rescued Max he has a REAL BAD case of kennel cough. He was emaciated and extremely weak so yes he was a good candidate for it.

I did do some research on it, ok alot of research (im in marketing couldnt help it) on it and know that it only affects some dogs, but not all, and not in all cases or conditions. Yes, it is extremely contageous between dogs who are weak, sick, or otherwise have compromised immune systems. But in healthy dogs, the bacteria (any of the 5 associated) is fought off better and there is less (notice I didnt say no) risk of transmital.

Now if your dog has had it more than once, and living and food conditions are the same as with your other dogs, I would rule out kennel cough and look for something a bit more plausible like allergy, parasites, or any other respiratory disease.

I will say however that Max does from time to time get a slight cough but I actually attribute this to allergies since he sneezes when he sniffs around too much.

User avatar
OlympianAB
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 6187
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:08 pm
Location: In never never land.

Postby OlympianAB » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:25 pm

PreciousPit wrote:
OlympianAB wrote:i work at a kennel... and one dog can have kennel cough, they dont ALL get it.. sometimes only one dog will get the strand.


but why would it keep coming back again?
this is the 3rd time she has had this.

I also wondered if maybe allergens could do this? but probably not just trying to figure it out.


weakened immune system..

i know w kittens that have alot of Upper Resp. at a young age they are more likely to have it over and over again.

Or . she's never completely getting rid of it.. it's like a cold.. we get them all winter..

I have one dog in the kennel been thre 5months or so.. had kennel cough 2 times now.. no one else has..

it suppoisvely lives in the air for 3-4 weeks.. like out of thier mouth..

User avatar
Beowulf
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 7035
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 10:04 am
Location: Texas

Postby Beowulf » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:47 pm

Once, when I boarded two of mine, they both got kennel cough. After the first round of medicine the female got rid of it but the male had to go through two more rounds of medicine.

User avatar
Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 7459
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:59 pm
Location: Shingle Springs, CA
Contact:

Postby Kingsgurl » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:30 am

They will usually prescribe antibiotics, which do not treat the actual cough, but rather prevent it from turning into a secondary infection, sometimes they will give something to lessen the cough, which again does nothing to speed up or 'heal' the virus (much like there isn't much you can take to get rid of a cold)

If it only effects this one dog, and does so at the same times of year, then it might be an allergy of some sort, which can actually present with many of the same symptoms (coughing, sneezing)

What does the cough sound like? Odd question, but Bordetella has a pretty distinct sounding cough. Does she cough if you press lightly on the base of her throat?

User avatar
PreciousPit
Newborn Bully
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:33 pm
Location: Clarksville, TN
Contact:

Postby PreciousPit » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:27 am

Kingsgurl wrote:They will usually prescribe antibiotics, which do not treat the actual cough, but rather prevent it from turning into a secondary infection, sometimes they will give something to lessen the cough, which again does nothing to speed up or 'heal' the virus (much like there isn't much you can take to get rid of a cold)

If it only effects this one dog, and does so at the same times of year, then it might be an allergy of some sort, which can actually present with many of the same symptoms (coughing, sneezing)

What does the cough sound like? Odd question, but Bordetella has a pretty distinct sounding cough. Does she cough if you press lightly on the base of her throat?


well its kinda hard to describe what it sounds like its a very deep sounding, raspy barking- like cough (kinda like when my asthma gets going and I need to use my inhaller)

Friday 27th was the last time she has coughed.
but she will make some wheesing like noise when I bring her in from being outside. oh and yes she did cough if I pressed on her throat. but not as of today. but I think maybe I should still take her in to the vet to be sure.


Return to “Health Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests