Belly Crawling habit.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
damienApbt

Belly Crawling habit.

Postby damienApbt » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:07 am

Hey guys, I may be getting ahead of myself here. But, if all goes as planned, I will be fostering Baylee, from Kingsgurl, for an undetermined time period. :tongue:
Kingsgurl mentioned that she does the army crawl all the time, on the carpet, concrete, gravel, you name it. So much so that it causes constant "rug burn" on her chest. I haven't seen it yet, but I can imagine. The vet has given her some medication to apply to the area to keep it from getting infected.
Rod does this too, but not to the point where he has any problems.

My question is this..

Any ideas on how to break this habit?
I think its partly a submissive move as well.

I have polished concrete floors in the appartment, so hopefull it will help. lol

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:08 am

my ruby does this too sometimes.. but thankfully on the carpet and tile in the house. some times she will army crawl in circles around the table downstairs with a happy grin on her face.

you can start breaking her of it by using treats and saying UP or stopping her before she starts it..

damienApbt

Postby damienApbt » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:13 am

thats a good idea. Maybe rod and her can have an army crawl race across the floor.

.Lin's going to kill me

Chili Peppers
Adolescent Bully

Postby Chili Peppers » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:20 am

Have her wear a shirt while you work on the issue.... Or a PJ. lol

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:21 am

hahaa.. just dont tell her until they both know the crawl then show her what they can do together, and that will seal the deal for her to stay with you. that would be cute! i am actually teaching ruby to army crawl for a trick .. we have to teach a trick by the end of our one basic class, and it would be a good trick, plus if she gets certified for therapy its a good trick to show patients as well..

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:48 am

i'd name it so that you could ask for it on command. then i'd teach an opposite behaviour like 'stand'.

acctually, i'm jealous. lol
i'm trying to teach maggie to army crawl. no luck so far!

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:53 am

ME's idea is a good one... just teach the "up" or "stand" command and reinforce with treats and/or clicker. I think the clicker would work well in this sitch.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:27 pm

Keep her on a leash as much as possible, pull her up into a "sit" when she starts, and treat her for sitting good.

myshell
Matured Bully

Postby myshell » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:33 pm

My MIL's beagel does this but she stays in one spot and does this back and forth across the carpet rub. I think it's a umm self gratification thing. :oops: lol

jenn&aala
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jenn&aala » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:39 pm

Maryellen wrote:hahaa.. just dont tell her until they both know the crawl then show her what they can do together, and that will seal the deal for her to stay with you. that would be cute! i am actually teaching ruby to army crawl for a trick .. we have to teach a trick by the end of our one basic class, and it would be a good trick, plus if she gets certified for therapy its a good trick to show patients as well..

It is awfully cute. I taught Aala, in the vet's office waiting for her meds of all places.

Sorry little OT I guess.

Niobie
Newborn Bully

Postby Niobie » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:32 am

i wondered why our one male did that sometimes as well.. we would have him on his leash standing still and all of a sudden he would go down and lay on his belly and do a little army crawl away from us.. a trainer near us told us after she saw it that it was more of him disobeying us... i thought it was cute, until she told me that.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:48 pm

She doesn't do it to be disobedient, she will crawl TO you like that as well. She just appears to like to do it lol
I will say this, she is a very 'soft' dog, so don't try going 'Uh uh!" at her (that was my first reaction when she was freshly spayed and wanted to crawl her way across the yard, I'm here to tell you that doesn't work lol ) When she thinks she's in trouble, she will drop and do it out of submission, so you have to be sneaky and not let her think she is in 'trouble'
I like ME's idea of naming the behavior.

It usually doesn't seem to bother her unless she does it on grass or something that will irritate her.

damienApbt

Postby damienApbt » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:40 am

she's been good about it. I think its the irritation that causes her to do it, so she can itch at it, rather than the other way around. We have polished concrete floors so she goes to the area rug to belly crawl. We'll see. I think when the irritation clears up than it'll lessen the belly crawl. Right now its just a bad cycle.

I gave her a bath today. She was really good. Shes always so happy.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:28 pm

and she's easy to lift into the tub lol

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:31 pm

ruby LOVES to belly crawl around the entire house LOL.. she does this and looks hysterical doing it.. sometimes she does it to flirt with rufus, other times its to sneak to a toy she wants.. i am teaching her the stand and crawl command so that i can get her to do it when i want.. does Baylee do it and use her front legs like arms and bend them or does she keep her front legs/feet out forward? ruby tucks her front legs in and it looks like she is a little army brat using her "elbows" to crawl.... i have to get it on video the next time she does it.. its so random though

Return to “Health Issues”