Shelby's got mange

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Shelby's got mange

Postby L Boogie » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:30 am

She's had small random bald spots on her shoulder/chest and today one looked a bit raw so off to the vet we went. Sure enough she's got Demodex. At least I've already been through it once with Duke, and we went to the same vet who treated him and got some antibiotics and ivermectin.

I'm just glad it's something I know how to treat and not allergies. Shelby was a hit at the vet clinic, everyone telling her how pretty she is.

Anywho, wish us luck on her treatment. We go back for another skin scraping in two weeks.

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:30 pm

No replies? :frown:

Well, for anyone who's interested, Shelby's treatment has not gone as smoothly as planned. I believe she has Ivermectin toxicity. I have been giving her exactly what the vet told me, 1cc twice a day (which was the same dosage we gave Duke when he had it), and in the last day or so, I've noticed her pupils were VERY dialated (her eyes looked black), she has seemed a little cracked out, and this morning she barely wanted her tuna (what I've been mixing her meds with)...normally she LOVES food. She also threw up her breakfast, and my husband said it was the nastiest vomit he's ever seen. Yesterday she started being very whiny in her crate, normally she's very quiet.

We've got a vet appointment tomorrow morning. I'm not giving any more of the Ivermectin...I'm just worried about my baby girl having permanent problems because of this. :frown:

Brina Baby
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Brina Baby » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:07 pm

Don't have much advice only support!!! Hope all goes well with Shelby's treatment.

Can the vet recommend anything else besides the Ivermectin? We were told by our vet that mange can be the result of an underlying condition that weakens a dog's immune system therefore leading to the development of mange?

Could it be possible that Shelby is allergic to something that is causing the mange to flare up?

:hug: for you :hug: for Shelby

I hope you guys both feel better soon. Hang in there!!

damienApbt

Postby damienApbt » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:12 pm

good luck!
I'm running into some allergy problems once again with Rod. Baylee the foster seems to have some skin issues as well. We go to the new vet on Monday, so we shall see.

tia_leigha
Addicted to PBF

Postby tia_leigha » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:55 pm

Oh man! I have sympathy for you! Demodex mange can be sooo hard to deal with.

I did the dips with Dozer when he had it, but its not usually recommended. I didn't know better.

But..it did work. :thumbsup:

I hope you find something that works soon!!! :peace:

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:09 pm

Update...I'm here at home for lunch, and I'm 100% sure she has Ivermectin poisoning. She is a bit wobbly, looks stoned, and I tried to get her heart rate (which felt irregular) and I clocked it at 96 bpm. She seems stoned, but is still alert and responsive. Her pupils are still huge. She did try to play with the other dogs a little bit, but I made her lay down and take it easy. I think I'm going to try and give her a little kibble tonight and see if she keeps it down. She's got me worried. :sad:

tia_leigha
Addicted to PBF

Postby tia_leigha » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:16 pm

I would call the vet if i were you. Is she drinking?

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:20 pm

Yes, she is still drinking water. Unfortunately the miltary vet is closed until Monday. The Japanese vet we go to is open, but can't see her till tomorrow morning. If she gets worse, I will definitely just walk in with her. I still have to work another 4 hours, but my hubby can take her if things get bad. She's trying to get Lexus to wrestle with her right now, so I guess she can't be feeling too bad.

lazyboy
Newborn Bully

Postby lazyboy » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:36 pm

My Vet told me, one cause of mange is stress, he told me this when Mr. Clay had this hot spot all over his head, got scraped but no mange has found, only fungal infection. I immediately shift to Canidae Lamb and Rice, got some anti-itch tablets, and fatty acid and after 3 days all the bumps were gone. I also added a bit of VCO (Virgin Coconut Oil) in his meals and I also applied VCO on bald spots the night before his bath. Did really great, thank to the vet and my prayers.
Good luck with you and Shelby, hope everything will turn out just fine.

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:17 am

Another update...was laying in bed with the dogs playing PS2, and Shelby started to have a weird grin and make the icky puke noise. I got her outside just in time, and she vomited up a small amount of dark brown stuff and grass. I'm hoping it's just dirt/poo and not digested blood.

In case she's just so hungry she threw up (since she vomited her breakfast and it's now dinnertime in Japan) I gave her a small handful of kibble with water and she wolfed it down.

Her pupils look a tad bit smaller and she seems to be a little more coordinated, but she still seems pretty out of it.

PreciousPit
Newborn Bully

Postby PreciousPit » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:44 am

oh my, maybe you should take her in?
I hope all goes well :pray
:hug: for you both from me and the girls

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:41 am

Don't give her any more Ivermectin (you probably figured that out!)
That dose would be appropriate for a 100lb. dog, but nothing smaller.
How big is she??
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/ivermectin ... page1.aspx

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:58 am

agreed, no more ivermectin... there are other ways to treat mange holistically, and if its a few spots you can use Neem oil to rub on the spots as neem oil is a natural insecticide that kills mange mites , i used it on a foster dog who had severe mange, i rubbed it on his skin to kill the mites..

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:54 am

msvette2u wrote:Don't give her any more Ivermectin (you probably figured that out!)
That dose would be appropriate for a 100lb. dog, but nothing smaller.
How big is she??
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/ivermectin ... page1.aspx

She is only 30 lbs.

This vet also prescribed the same dosage to Duke when he was a pup and he never had these problems. I think the Japanese Ivermectin is much more diluted than the Swine/Cow Ivermectin. I did stop her dosages of it, she hasn't gotten it for almost 24 hours. It's like 2am here and Shelby seems to be doing ok, we go to the vet in about 8 hours.

mastiffsj
Newborn Bully

Ivermectin

Postby mastiffsj » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:01 pm

I fostered a dog (non pit bull) once that came with a horrible case of demodex, everything was going fine with the Ivermectin at first and then I came home one day to find him bumping into things, he could see NOTHING. I rushed him in that day, quit the ivermectin and 36 hours later he was totally fine. Just the mention of Ivemecctin scares me since that episode. :frown:

Return to “Health Issues”