Long hair dogs/heat issues

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
pblove
Addicted to PBF

Long hair dogs/heat issues

Postby pblove » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:44 pm

I have alwsy heard that it is best not to clip/shave down dogs because their coat acts as an insulator to keep them warm in cold weather and coolin hot weather. In other words, it is their insulator?
Does anyone know if this is truth?
My ll has a little Pom, he is also a little over weight, has a very short nsoe and he really suffers in heat. She did take him to a groomer and the groomer refused to clip/shave him, syaing it was his insulator.
I suggested she start walking him more to get him moe fit and maybe it will help him loose a little weight too, although she gives way too many treats and I really doubt she will stop that.

PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitFriend » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:22 pm

My veterinarian told me the same thing. I had my husky shaved down one summer thinking she'd be more comfortable in our southern heat, but my vet laughed when he saw her. Said it wasn't necessary and that her long coat actually protects her from the worst of the heat. So I never shaved her again, and she was very happy about that. lol Of course, I'm always still careful with her.. staying indoors during the hottest part of the day.

Amie

Postby Amie » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:36 pm

I've heard the same thing, but I don't know if it's true of all breeds.

I found this:
http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/dhair.html# ... %20weather

and this:
http://www.epinions.com/pets-review-612 ... C1AD-prod6

So, basically, I'm no help at all....

ZiggysMom
Super Bully

Postby ZiggysMom » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:00 pm

I can't comment much, having never owned a long-haired dog... I don't think it helps cool them much to be clipped, but as long as you leave enough to keep off the sun I don't think it hurts either. Of course, since foxtails are such a huge problem in my area, I'm a big fan of haircuts as needed for that reason completely independent of the temperature issue. Foxtails can kill!

gooeydog

Postby gooeydog » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:53 pm

We get a lot of clients who have long/double coated breeds clipped due to warmer weather, I don't think it really makes much difference one way or another. The biggest help for any double coated breed is to have them groomed by someone who knows how to get out as much loose undercoat as possible, as that really makes the dog overheat. Between brushing and using a force dryer, they should be able to get out a lot of undercoat, and have him feeling better even with a full coat :)

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:10 am

We have 2 coated dogs and we just bathe and brush them out as much as possible.
I did Yaeger's coat today. I need to rebathe Libby to get the rest of her undercoat out.
I agree with the "don't clip" school of thought - mostly what I've seen is people clip WITHOUT brushing out the undercoat, then you just have short undercoat that needs to be brushed off, as it's going to come off anyway (supposed to come off!) and so you have this wierd sheep looking dog...around here somewhere is the dog we thought was part Leonberger for a glance at what I mean.
She looked horrible.
A nicely groomed longer coat, without the fluffy undercoat falling off of it, is a sight to behold :inlove:

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:51 am

gooeydog wrote: The biggest help for any double coated breed is to have them groomed by someone who knows how to get out as much loose undercoat as possible, as that really makes the dog overheat. Between brushing and using a force dryer, they should be able to get out a lot of undercoat, and have him feeling better even with a full coat :)

the llttle guy does go to the groomer once a month.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:57 am

Then it may be his short nose or overweightedness that is causing him discomfort.
I'd advise keeping him inside in hot weather unless going out potty.

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:34 am

Shaving them down can be dangerous because a double-coated dog's skin is not meant to have sun beating on it all the time. They can sunburn super easy, and it makes the dog uncomfortably warm. Plus a lot of times the coat will not grow back properly. One thing that can help is shaving the belly- the sun doesn't beat constantly on the belly, and they can put the belly skin against cool grass, tile, or concrete.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:31 pm

msvette2u wrote:Then it may be his short nose or overweightedness that is causing him discomfort.
I'd advise keeping him inside in hot weather unless going out potty.

poor lil fat dog does stay inside, except to potty, but his home does not have any a/c so he doesn't have many options I guess
I am going to suggest she gets his belly shaved like Sav. Des suggested and hope it helps him.
I know he will not loose any weight as she over feeds everything, herself incl.
Thank you for the suggstions, repleis everyone :thumbsup:

Return to “Health Issues”