Ear Crop 1 Lays flat ~

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
ragdollx19

Ear Crop 1 Lays flat ~

Postby ragdollx19 » Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:24 pm

I searched all the previous threads but couldnt find one that matched what I am looking for info on. I have been reading lots of the messages on this board since purchasing our pit. We had our pups ears cropped about 2 weeks ago and they are both even but he holds one of his ears flat to the top of his head, they also curl up a bit on the tops. The vet taped them up which stayed on for about 5 days. He said this would correct the curl they had in them. One ear stands up properly and now only has a small curl to it. The other one though lays flat on his head most of the time. He can stand it up normal but about 90% of the time it is laying down and looks silly. I purchased some cloth tape and tried to make my own post to keep it standing up but the tape didint stick as well as the vets.

The woman who cropped his ears said just to give it some time and eventually it would stand up on its own... Is this right or is there anything else I can do?

Here are a few pics...
http://www.geocities.com/ragdollx190/conan.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/ragdollx190/conan2.jpg

These arent the greates at showing the problem because the good ear on the left he is pointing it back because I am talking like an idiot to him so he will pay attention for the pic :) It does stand up normal like it should.

pibblegrl

Postby pibblegrl » Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:32 pm

mnp13

Re: Ear Crop 1 Lays flat ~

Postby mnp13 » Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:32 pm

ragdollx19 wrote:The woman who cropped his ears said just to give it some time and eventually it would stand up on its own... Is this right or is there anything else I can do?

You do mean that a vet cropped his ears, right?

There is a thread in the Health section about this. His ears need to be 'posted' to keep them up straight. The easiest way to do this is to use tampons as the posts and tape them with athletic tape. They will probalby not stand up on their own at this point, you need to post them and leave them that way for a few weeks (change the bandage regularly)

Michelle

JoJoMoJo

Postby JoJoMoJo » Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:43 pm

The more I hear about cropping the more I think of those plastic surgery gone wrong shows.
This sucks for you and your dog! I can imagine you would feel very upset.
I think you dog is cute :) it looks at the camera like "hey look at me and feel sorry fro me, give me treats" If that means anything right now.
can you take the pup back to the vet?
I dont knwo anything abou this (starting to wonder why I posted here) just wanted to tellyou, you have a very cute pup.

Diane Jessup

re

Postby Diane Jessup » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:05 am

What worked on Grip, who'se ears were cut VERY VERY short, was to tape the whole ear DOWN the opposite way that it is lying. In other words, you wrap tape around the dog's head, and tape the ear down over its ear hole. I did this for about 2 weeks and it worked. As to the little curls on the top, those so sometimes get better.

To be honest, I no longer crop, it is a big pain intheass for the dog and the owner. I have never had to use a "post" such as Michelle discussed, at least not on pit bulls. But then, when I did crop, I prefer a short crop for just that reason. I really don't like sticking junk down their ear, so I cut them short enough you don't have to. Dirk (my last cropped dog) had the typical Sorrell crop, and never had to be taped at all.

Cute pup.

JoJoMoJo

Postby JoJoMoJo » Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:16 am

So how does the taping work? Does it have anything to do with scar tissue? are they unable to move their ears once they are cropped?
I dont understand how taping makes them stay a certain way.
I dont knwo much about the dog cropping and would like to know more about how the posting and taping works.

caped dog
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby caped dog » Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:26 am

ruh roh raggy... those are some seriously sideways ears... what were your discharge instructions? can you contact the woman who did it for advice??

caped dog
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby caped dog » Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:30 am

btw, i just R. clicked for your "properties" then slapped some image tags on either side 8)

mnp13

Postby mnp13 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:14 pm

JoJoMoJo wrote:So how does the taping work? Does it have anything to do with scar tissue? are they unable to move their ears once they are cropped?
I dont understand how taping makes them stay a certain way.
I dont knwo much about the dog cropping and would like to know more about how the posting and taping works.

The cartilage in the ears is what keeps them up, when you post them the cartilage is held straight and (hopefully) keeps the ears upright. The longer they are HELD up the better chance you have of them staying up.

Ruby can move her ears just fine. When she is 'relaxed' they stand up (sleeping for example), but besides that she can move them just like a dog with natural ears.

Michelle

elizer

Postby elizer » Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:01 pm

POST THOSE THINGS ASAP!
as for the curling tips they get better
get some side shots, those don't look to good.

Maryellen

Postby Maryellen » Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:24 pm

gorgeous dog!!

pocketpit

Postby pocketpit » Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:26 pm

Take that dog to an experienced person and get those taped ASAP! Neither ear is looking like it is supposed to.

JCleve86
Forum Junky

Postby JCleve86 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:54 pm

I don't mean to be the party pooper here, but is it possible that it was a bad crop job? It could completely be just because they are misbehaving right now...but how much experience did the vet who cropped your puppy's ears have with cropping in general, and cropping pits specifically? Please don't take offense...even if pup ends up with goofy ears it'll be a unique, adorable trait!

pocketpit

Postby pocketpit » Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:50 pm

While there are doctors out there that can cut the ears the wrong shape, when ears look like that it is a direct result of the owner not following through with the aftercare. Maybe that's the vets fault for not properly discussing this with the owner, but the crop doesn't look bad. Short, but not bad. And it will look like he has no ears if they are not taped and worked with ASAP.

ragdollx19

UPDATE!

Postby ragdollx19 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:01 pm

We posted his ears for about a week which really did not make a difference at all. I think he just needed some growing time because now he looks perfect. We intended for his crop to be short and although he can tilt one ear in when he is moving them 99.9% of the time they are straight as they should be.

[/img]

Return to “Health Issues”