Very bizarre, NPBR but a concern...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
msvette2u

Very bizarre, NPBR but a concern...

Postby msvette2u » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:53 am

Our vet called us last night, they'd found a Shih Tzu type dog and didn't want her to go to animal control, they've had her a week.
Found out she is preggers. She apparently growled while she was being bathed.
But it might be "talking" type behavior. Not sure yet.
Last night when we fed her, she did this wierd thing though - she kept barking and growling BEHIND, turning around, that is - and then she started chasing her tail as if it was trying to steal her food. She'd go around 4-5 x.

I'm concerned about this - she was quite aggressive with her tail despite being fed in her crate.
She totally acted like this, but about her tail, which, thankfully, she could not reach.

http://www.unoriginal.co.uk/footage49_3.html

She goes for a spay tomorrow...but I'm not sure if there's more issues than this!?
What would you think of a rescued dog acting this way?

Do you want video of it??

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:45 pm

omg that is messed up... why would a dog act like that?

spammie

Postby spammie » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:45 pm

Is it possible she came out of a mill with very little stimulus or human contact?

julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:50 pm

spammie wrote:Is it possible she came out of a mill with very little stimulus or human contact?

That's what I was thinking.

chia pit
Matured Bully

Postby chia pit » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:51 pm

maybe genitics :frown: i cant spell today :yay:

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:22 pm

Well her only alternative was euthanasia. I hate to do that for something that may be "fixable", although it's quite a concern. I'm going to spay her tomorrow and a foster home has stepped up for her, who, hopefully, can work with her.
They're reading up on it now. I think it's a type of OCD.

Red?? Any ideas??

Chili Peppers
Adolescent Bully

Postby Chili Peppers » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:07 pm

I've seen a couple of mill dogs who had similar behaviours. They had been stuck in small crates all their lives, and had developed obsessive compulsive behaviours. From lack of stimulus, they would just find things to do, one being to imagine that their tail was part of another dog whom they could chase around. It's treatable with clomipramine and counter-conditioning. It's a lot of work.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:52 pm

Well we're going to hold off the spay for now, in case it's not something we can overcome :(
I thought she was preggers but it turned out she was just really bloated up from holding her poo. She took like, an 8lb. dump and was fine and her belly went down!!!!

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:05 am

They show clips of dogs doing what you're describing on those "Home Video" shows - everyone laughs like it's the funniest thing in the world.

Not funny at all :( It's sad to see that people can't even tell when a dog's messed up in the head.

I've also seen it where they attack their front feet because they get too close to the bowl.

What does she do to people when they get too close?

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:18 am

:yay: We fed her by hand tonight (I just could not bring her back to the vet!!!!) and she did FINE. She barely TOUCHES your hand if you have it near her bowl or if you hand feed her. We literally had to DROP it on the floor as she was so hesitant to take it from your hand. I mean she'd lick the kibble but not dare touch her teeth to your hand.
She seems very sweet. I hope she does this good in her foster, we'll spay and find her a home.
:thumbsup:

Oh and here's her homely mug for ya ;)

Meaghan Edwards
Addicted to PBF

Postby Meaghan Edwards » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:26 am

:inlove:

PreciousPit
Newborn Bully

Postby PreciousPit » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:56 am

oh my god I just watched that video clip. I can't believe those people were laughing at that dog :frown:
I hope the little girl does ok, shes cute with her 2 toned nose :)

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:23 am

I know, she's actually kind of cute. She's young, so should be able to retrain.
It was just so...bizarre, I'd never seen anything like it. Like you guys, we kind of laughed but in a sad way and realized, this ain't right!
I DO think that if fed from the hand, or a piece or two at a time, she may forget completely about her tail.

spammie

Postby spammie » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:29 am

Thanks for trying with her, Yvette. She sure is a cutie :inlove:

Return to “Health Issues”