Canidae Feeders, question for you

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Will you continue feeding Canidae?

Yes, I will continue feeding Canidae
26%
No, I'm going to go with something different
13%
I'll adopt a wait-and-see approach
38%
I don't feed Canidae, but wanted to vote anyway
23%

Total votes: 39

EmmasMom
Addicted to PBF

Postby EmmasMom » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:54 pm

Grrr...Canidae is the ONLY food we found that works well for Em that we can afford and always find around here. Can't believe they had to go and switch it around...guess we'll have to wait and see how she does on it.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:11 pm

Well, I went to buy Canidae today and they had one bag of the old food (I did not purchase because the bag looked torn). The new bags are $38 (used to be $31) and are now 35#s instead of 40#s. :po:
I purchased a bag of lamb & rice, 40lb, old version.

Now, I'm wondering about if it's worth feeding the new formula or finding a different food at a similar price. Grrrr.

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:10 pm

Allie, that is a bunch of bs if you ask me! Where do you buy your food? If you had to switch food, which food would you buy?

I was feeding Canidae for a few weeks but Jake got mud butt so I switched back to Nature's Variety. I don't know if there is another food out there that is as good as Canidae for the money. :dunno:

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:16 pm

Allie wrote:Well, I went to buy Canidae today and they had one bag of the old food (I did not purchase because the bag looked torn). The new bags are $38 (used to be $31) and are now 35#s instead of 40#s. :po:
I purchased a bag of lamb & rice, 40lb, old version.

Now, I'm wondering about if it's worth feeding the new formula or finding a different food at a similar price. Grrrr.

That's ridiculous! The 40 lb bags here (well, the old ones I guess) are anywhere between $31 - $38 regularly. But I thought the website said it would now be coming in 44 lb bags? I'm going to have to check some stores out, just to see.

6pak
Bully Ambassador

Postby 6pak » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:02 am

The last time I purchased the platinum it went up $4 in 2 months time. It always came in a 35lb bag however.

For the money I would say that Costco's Kirkland food is as good as Canidae if you are looking for a meat based kibble. It went up also, but it is still a good deal at $23.99 for a 40 lb bag.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:25 am

6pak wrote:For the money I would say that Costco's Kirkland food s as good as Canidae

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried to switch to Kirkland a while back but it made one of my girl's so sick I ended up giving half the bag away.
Arrrgh.
Allie, that is a bunch of bs if you ask me! Where do you buy your food? If you had to switch food, which food would you buy?

This was at Pet Supplies Plus, but I also use a local store called Chow Hound. Their prices and selection are very similar.

Well, I'll wait and check out the scene at a different store in about 2-3 weeks when this bag runs out.

My other options:
NV-- my dogs did fine on it but it is expensive
TOTW-- never tried it, but it's about $38 for a 30lb bag
California Natural--worked for 2 of 3 dogs years ago, a little more expensive than Canidae, but I'd give it another try

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:25 am

6pak wrote:For the money I would say that Costco's Kirkland food s as good as Canidae

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried to switch to Kirkland a while back but it made one of my girl's so sick I ended up giving half the bag away.
Arrrgh.

This was at Pet Supplies Plus, but I also use a local store called Chow Hound. Their prices and selection are very similar.

Well, I'll wait and check out the scene at a different store in about 2-3 weeks when this bag runs out.

My other options:
NV-- my dogs did fine on it but it is expensive
TOTW-- never tried it, but it's about $38 for a 30lb bag
California Natural--worked for 2 of 3 dogs years ago, a little more expensive than Canidae, but I'd give it another try

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:03 pm

I was looking at other foods on the dog food analysis website last night. Thinking about Innova. (Not the Evo, because that's like $60 here for a big bag.) I'd really love to go back to the Nature's Variety, but talk about pricey. Feeding 3 dogs, we need to be able to get bags larger than 30 pounds, too.

I dunno. The more I read, the more torn I get on this. It sucks finding a food you think is awesome, only to have them throw you for a loop and call it an "improvement."

InBearsMemory
Bully Ambassador

Re:

Postby InBearsMemory » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:40 pm

Well we just started a bag of the "new" Canidae Lamb & Rice about three days ago and all of the furkids are still doing well on it, no runs etc. I compared the label to the old bag and the first couple of ingredients are still the same as before. Off the top of my head I believe they added rice bran, millet and cranberries to the mix. I somewhat prefer the look of the "new" kibble to the look of the "old" kind as the previous kibble looked kinda grainy and fatty. I also noticed that my Husky seems to dig in a bit more and believe me, she is the pickiest dog EVER. At this point I really don't feel that this food is of lesser quality than the previous recipe.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:01 pm

Thanks for the review. What was the bag size for the new formula?

InBearsMemory
Bully Ambassador

Re:

Postby InBearsMemory » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:15 pm

Allie wrote:Thanks for the review. What was the bag size for the new formula?

No problem at all. I actually went back in the garbage to get the bag out and write out the actual ingredients of the old bag vs the new bag:
Here is the previous Canidae Lamb and Rice ingredients in the order as listed on the bag:

Lamb Meal, Brown Rice, Canola Oil (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Flax Seed, Sun cured Alfalfa Meal, Sunflower Oil, Lamb, Lecithin, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Linoleic Acid, Rosemary Extract, Sage Extract, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, Inulin (from Chicory Root), Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, L-Lysine, Taurine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Mixed Tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (source of Vitamin B2), Beta Carotene, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyriodoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, D-Biotin, Organic Selenium, Dried Papaya, Dried Pineapple, Vitamin B 12 Supplement

This was a 40lbs bag of food.

Here are the ingredients of the new bag of the Canidae Lamb and Rice (by the way this is also a 40lbs bag):

Lamb Meal, Brown Rice, Cracked Pearled Barley, Rice Bran, Peas, Millet, Canola Oil, Lamb, Tomato Pomace, Natural Flavor, Flax Seed Meal, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Sun cured Alfalfa Meal, Inulin (from Chicory Root), Lecithin, Sage , Extract, Cranberries, Beta Carotene, Rosemary Extract, Sunflower Oil, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Enterococcus Faecium, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, Saccaromyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Monitrate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Vitamin D Supplement, Folic Acid, Cobalt Proteinate, Organic Selenium, Papaya, Pineapple

Overall there is not that much difference to the old version and I would go as far as to say that it looks like a better food as the Lamb itself is higher up in the ingredient list than before.

InBearsMemory
Bully Ambassador

Re:

Postby InBearsMemory » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:24 pm

InBearsMemory wrote:
Overall there is not that much difference to the old version and I would go as far as to say that it looks like a better food as the Lamb itself is higher up in the ingredient list than before.

Just to avoid confusion, the lamb is not physically written higher up in the list, but it shows that instead of using mainly brown rice as the filler of choice there is now a mix of rice, barley, bran, peas and millet. Barley is actually not bad as it has high contents of selenium, a cancer fighting ingredient and is high in fiber, as is bran. Millet is also not a bad ingredient as it is gluten free and is high in vitamins and minerals. Peas are also not bad as they are high in protein and carbs but low in fat. Hope this helps.

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:29 pm

I was just about to ask you that question. Thanks for answering! :thumbsup:

falldeepintoxen

Postby falldeepintoxen » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:45 pm

I've been feeding Xen Canidae ALS. She'd been doing better, but now is itchy and bitey all over again. She does a lot better on raw, but since that is way too expensive for me currently, I think I'm going to go with a grain free kib. Just not sure which yet, though am leaning toward Innova EVO.

Return to “Health Issues”