Meat-- thawed and refrozen

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Allie
Addicted to PBF

Meat-- thawed and refrozen

Postby Allie » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:24 pm

We had a power outage for about 24 hours or so. During this time, I know our upright freezer was defrosting (water was leaking out the bottom, but we never opened the door). I will be throwing away almost everything, but I was wondering if it is ok to feed my dogs some ground turkey. We buy it in 1lb rolls for them, so I have quite a few in there. They probably partially thawed and then were refrozen when the power came back on. Hoping to get some opinions on whether or not I should toss those too.

BrowniesMom
Adolescent Bully

Postby BrowniesMom » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:07 pm

Grr DTE and CE!! I'm trying to convince my hubby that Dte needs to pay for our A/C to be fixed after the last outage/surge. Anyway, Butterball says it's fine. Last Thanksgiving, my whole turkey thawed too quickly, they advised me to refreeze, and thaw again. We were fine, so I should think it would be okay.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:10 pm

Ok, thanks. My bf was just saying "Can't we get someone to reimburse us for all the food we lost?!" I told him we could do that as easily as we could control the weather. ;)

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:22 pm

I think there is a way homeowners insurance covers the loss.....not sure how though.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:58 am

FBODGRL wrote:I think there is a way homeowners insurance covers the loss.....not sure how though.

Well, thats what he was asking about, but we have a deductible.... and I'd hate to be trying to make a claim right now with most of the city having been out of power for a few days.
I'm just happy my power's back on. And besides, we needed to clean out that freezer anyway. :))

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:22 am

Allie, I partially thaw meat to cut it up into smaller portions and then re-freeze it all the time. If my two uber sensitive beasts aren't showing any ill effects, I'm sure your crew will be fine.

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:55 pm

pitgrrl wrote:Allie, I partially thaw meat to cut it up into smaller portions and then re-freeze it all the time. If my two uber sensitive beasts aren't showing any ill effects, I'm sure your crew will be fine.

Same here. When I have a 5 lb bag of chicken backs or turkey necks (ground), I thaw it out, portion off and re-freeze the portions for the following week.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:49 pm

i do that too.. i defrost, cut up, then refreeze what i dont need at that time.

El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby El_EmDubya » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:03 pm

Maryellen wrote:i do that too.. i defrost, cut up, then refreeze what i dont need at that time.

Ditto.

6pak
Bully Ambassador

Postby 6pak » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:44 am

If your freezer stayed 41 degrees or below during the power outage then it would probably be alright to refreeze it. If you are not sure if it stayed that temperature or not, a safer alternative would be to cook the turkey, then freeze it.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:59 am

6pak wrote: a safer alternative would be to cook the turkey, then freeze it.

Why is this safer than cooking it and feeding it?

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:17 am

EL_EmDubya wrote:
Maryellen wrote:i do that too.. i defrost, cut up, then refreeze what i dont need at that time.

Ditto.

Yep, here too!

6pak
Bully Ambassador

Postby 6pak » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:00 pm

Allie wrote:
6pak wrote: a safer alternative would be to cook the turkey, then freeze it.

Why is this safer than cooking it and feeding it?

It is only safer if the meat was completely thawed out. Bacteria multiplies rapidly between the temperature of 42-129 degrees. Freezing doesn't kill bacteria, it just hibernates it. Lets just say that ground turkey has bacteria on it from the processing equipment. If it thawed completely over the 41 degree temperature, the bacteria has grown considerably. If you cook it to the proper temperature, you kill that bacteria and keep new bacteria from growing by refreezing as oppose to just hibernating the new bacteria with the old by just refreezing.

If it did not completely thaw out or went over the 41 degree mark, you are probably alright.
Here are some guidelines from the University of Minnesota
http://www.extension.umn.edu/info-u/nut ... BJ659.html

El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby El_EmDubya » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:26 pm

Good point 6pak. One of the reasons I don't feed Monte raw ground meats is due to the high likelihood of contamination. (This is also a reason to use vinegar as a 'seasoning agent' in ground meats, after cooking, as many cultures do. Yum, Enpanada's anyone? http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Argentine-Meat-Empanadas/Detail.aspx)

IMHO, it is best to feed solid chunks of meat as the interior has not been exposed to possible contaminants and the exterior can be easily 'sterilized'. A lot of the raw feeders rinse their meats in a solution of Aecetic Acid (White Vinegar) and Water prior to bagging meals to kill any bacteria. I also rinse my bags in a fresh solution prior to placing them in the freezer to protect the Humans in the house from any bacteria.

However, the bigger picture is that canine digestive juices are on par with Hydrochloric Acid, so there is truly very little to worry about.

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:36 pm

concreterose wrote:
EL_EmDubya wrote:

Ditto.

Yep, here too!

Me too.

EL_EmDubya wrote:However, the bigger picture is that canine digestive juices are on par with Hydrochloric Acid, so there is truly very little to worry about.

Ain't that the truth??? lol

Return to “Health Issues”