interesting visit to new vet

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
damienApbt

interesting visit to new vet

Postby damienApbt » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:30 am

well I have to say that I was disappointed yesterday. I took both dogs in. I do have to say that part of the confusion may have been taking both dogs in at the same time and it was our 1st visit.

1st bad sign- vet tech kept calling Baylee a good boy while taking her temperature. I guess maybe she just wasn't paying attention, but whatever.

2nd bad sign- Vet advises me to not do any activities that require jumping. All horizontal movement. Since pitbulls have a history of bad hips/joints.

3rd bad sign- Vet prescribed medicine for "rodney" when it was baylee needing the meds. I had to have them change the label, after she confirmed it with the vet.

And no solution for Rod's anal gland infection. No meds either. He recomended adding canned pumpkin to his food to give him bigger stools to help express the glands. I thought that was good. Rod has little stools with his raw food, maybe I could try that.

Baylee has some pretty bad skin issues. Her belly and chest are pink as well as her skin around her whole body. He prescirbed her cephalexan, to help reduce the iritation. She's so itchy, so I hope this helps.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:35 am

that sucks. for Baylee, can you get her to wear a tee shirt to help her not itch her itchiness? i put a tee shirt on ruby to stop her from scratching after being outside, and it helps a ton.. i also use http://www.westcoastpetsupply.com/2/Bio ... tch-Spray/ as it helps relieve the itch, and has ingredient for non licking too..

you can also try benadryl to , to get her some relief..

also, try vaccuming with a hepa filter, wipe her down when she comes inside,and be a clean freak.. she might be allergic to mites (dust/house) or it could be bugs in the grass..

as far as the anal gland infection, they should have prescribed an antibiotic to help the infection go away.. the canned pumpkin must be plain to work, and too much will give him the squirts.. you can also use slippery elm which is found at health stores, or add fiber to his diet, like benefiber powder..

and never go back to that vet again..

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:41 am

you can also try this shampoo to help relieve the itching:

Derma Soothe Allergy Relief Shampoo

you can only find it at the vets though, unless its available online somewhere

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:43 am

Where did you go? Was this a vet in SF? I like the current vet I have (he's a bit aloof and all business but good) and the vet techs LOVE Molly.

I have the name of a second vet (recommended to me by an acquaintance with two very active GSPs – one of which has a bad hip/leg) that I may try in the future if anything serious happens with Molly in terms of joint issues – he's supposed to be really good.

damienApbt

Postby damienApbt » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:44 am

yeah I dont know why they didn't give him any meds to clear up the infection. They are both on benedryl. Rod gets (4) 25mg tabs and I just upped hers to (2). Baylee has some spray to alleviate the itch and also t-shirts. I think I'll start putting her shirt on.
She's not outside too much as she doesn't like to walk more than a block from the appartment, and loves being inside for now. I'll have to wash all their blankets and bedding and see how she does on the raw diet. She's been all raw for about a week. Beef formula. Its helped considerabley with her big stinky monster stools, but I'll have to wait and see how her skin improves, if at all. I may switch the meat source for her and rod.

damienApbt

Postby damienApbt » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:09 pm

mtlu wrote:Where did you go? Was this a vet in SF? I like the current vet I have (he's a bit aloof and all business but good) and the vet techs LOVE Molly.

I have the name of a second vet (recommended to me by an acquaintance with two very active GSPs – one of which has a bad hip/leg) that I may try in the future if anything serious happens with Molly in terms of joint issues – he's supposed to be really good.

this past year, we've been going to all pets animal hospital on van ness and 14th. This vet was on irving street.
The vet I wanted to see, is no longer there. i have to find out where she is now.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:13 pm

has she been itching while on the beef? it could be the beef, can you switch her to chicken or turkey? and dont use laundry detergent to wash her stuff, use white vinegar to see if she is reacting to the detergent.. its more like now to find out what doesnt bother her, then what does..

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:29 pm

Yeh, I was going to ask where you went, too. I used to work at a vet's office in SF, but not either of those. The labeling thing was probably not the *vet* but the overwhelmed and/or inattentive staff, which still doesn't make it okay especially regarding medication!

If Rod's got a actual infection, I don't know why they didn't prescribe antibiotics. Booker hasn't had an anal gland infection but has had, uh, "overactive" anal gland which I believe was due to a red-meats allergy; I switched his food and the stench is gone. But if there is an infection, yeah, most vets are all about the antibiotics, so I'm surprised you didn't get any. I'd be concerned about the risk of abcess, if the anal gland is infected. :dunno:

Keflex is an antibiotic that's used a lot for skin infections (I had a dog on it for his mange-y infected skin) but if Baylee is that bad off with the itching and rash I wouldn't count on just the antibiotic to take care of it; when this dog had itchies like that my vet wanted to give him steroids to reduce the inflammation and put him on the limited-ingredient food. But I didn't like the ingredients in the limited-ingredient commercial food and could duplicate it myself with a limited ingredient, novel protein source & other novel food raw diet. The t-shirts do help a lot (tie the bottom so she can't reach under it) along with keeping the nails short and filed to keep them from ripping the skin open while scratching. They make a lot of topical steroid creams that your vet can give you for temporary relief, too, as well as all the over-the-counter ones.

I'm sorry you had that experience and I'm sorry both your dogs are sick right now!

damienApbt

Postby damienApbt » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:39 pm

I will try and switch them both off of the red meat. Baylee came to us itchy, with a rash. The rash on her belly is gone but she seems more pink. Rod's been through most all meat sources, and seemed to do best on the beef. I tried the rabbit for him, but that was not good. And if I remember correctly, he didnt' do so hot with the chicken. Baylee has only been on the beef for less than a week. We're at the end of this bag, so I'll try something different today. I think I'll try NV chicken formula
We get natures variety raw diet. Let me know which of these you think might work best. The store I go to has NV raw and Primal. We used to use primal but switched to NV, which stopped rod's foot fetish.

http://www.naturesvariety.com/raw_products

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:45 pm

instead of NV raw, try regular raw from the supermarket... its possible there is an ingredient in the NV that is affecting the dogs.. try some regular chicken bodies for both dogs.. if they clear up, then its the NV that is bothering them..

buckaroo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby buckaroo » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:48 pm

If she came to you with a rash, I wouldn't blame the food that she's only been on for one week.

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:56 pm

They usually recommend, for a food sensitivity test, to first stop feeding the old food. No treats, no additives, no supplements, nothing. Feed a single protein source, a novel one, one they've likely never had before, and a single carbohydrate.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/food_allergies.html

You obviously don't have to use the IVD and Hill's food. A lot of kibbles have a LOT of other ingredients, even if they only have one type of protein. I think Wellness makes a limited ingredient product without all the veggies and added stuff that goes in their regular kibble? Not sure what the protein source is. You can duplicate the food test described in the link with home-made or raw food, too.

Good luck, the raw pink itchy skin is a total pain in the butt to figure out, treat, prevent, then it seems like BAM, it's baaa-aack, meanwhile you feel awful because your poor dog is clearly uncomfortable.

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:03 pm

Oh yeah, and Whole Foods and Berkeley Bowl (if you feel like making the trip to the madness that is BB) sell organic free-range chicken necks/backs/frames for under $1 per pound. They will also sell salmon trim when they have it or just make friends with the people that work there, they will save it for you in a freezer bag. Pick one thing, whether its raw or a single-source kibble with limited other ingredients, and feed nothing else for the trial.

(Also be careful with scented laundry detergent/dryer sheets.)

What was she eating at KG's house? Did she have problems on that food? It hasn't been that long on the new food, if you switched...

deedeesmom
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: interesting visit to new vet

Postby deedeesmom » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:30 pm

damienApbt wrote:well I have to say that I was disappointed yesterday. I took both dogs in. I do have to say that part of the confusion may have been taking both dogs in at the same time and it was our 1st visit.

1st bad sign- vet tech kept calling Baylee a good boy while taking her temperature. I guess maybe she just wasn't paying attention, but whatever.

2nd bad sign- Vet advises me to not do any activities that require jumping. All horizontal movement. Since pitbulls have a history of bad hips/joints.

3rd bad sign- Vet prescribed medicine for "rodney" when it was baylee needing the meds. I had to have them change the label, after she confirmed it with the vet.

And no solution for Rod's anal gland infection. No meds either. He recomended adding canned pumpkin to his food to give him bigger stools to help express the glands. I thought that was good. Rod has little stools with his raw food, maybe I could try that.

Baylee has some pretty bad skin issues. Her belly and chest are pink as well as her skin around her whole body. He prescirbed her cephalexan, to help reduce the iritation. She's so itchy, so I hope this helps.

Are you sure that the cephalexan is for your girls iritation, and not for the boys glands? That the vet had it wrong the first time, and not now? I ask because cephalexan is an antibiotic and won't do much for an iritation unless it is due to a bacterial infection on the skin, but would help a great deal with a gland infection. That may be worth checking if they seemed to be confused with multi dogs there.

damienApbt

Postby damienApbt » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:24 pm

yes, the vet said he was going to prescribe it for her because of how pink she is. It could be some sort of skin infection that he wanted to treat.
The single protein/carb sounds like a good idea.
I would probably feed it raw. Any suggestions?

Return to “Health Issues”