interesting visit to new vet

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:45 pm

Cephalexin is pretty commonly prescribed for skin infections.

deedeesmom
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby deedeesmom » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:51 pm

Sarah wrote:Cephalexin is pretty commonly prescribed for skin infections.

yeah I know, it was just a thought for the poor infected boy. Cephalexin is a commonly prescribed drug for alot of infections, not just skin. It would be like ampicillin in humans. It's fairly safe with low side effects, easy on the tummy, and treats numerous infections.

damienApbt

Postby damienApbt » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:55 pm

I'll give her more time on the raw food before I go nuts. I will probably switch them to raw chicken diet from NV, to rule out the red meat allergy causing his gland problem.
Ingredients wrote:INGREDIENTS: Chicken, Raw Ground Chicken Bone, Turkey, Turkey Liver, Turkey Heart, Apples, Carrots, Butternut Squash, Ground Flaxseed, Chicken Eggs, Broccoli, Lettuce, Spinach, Dried Kelp, Apple Cider Vinegar, Parsley, Honey, Salmon Oil, Olive Oil, Blueberries, Alfalfa Sprouts, Persimmons, Duck Eggs, Pheasant Eggs, Quail Eggs, Inulin, Rosemary, Sage, Clove

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:26 pm

when i give NV raw mine all get the squirts.. dont know why. must be the food.

its possible that her rash is a contact rash . do you have any wool in the house?

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:29 pm

You might want to try the organic chicken NV raw, since it only includes one meat source which might be better if you're trying to rule out food allergies.

pitbullet
Newborn Bully

Postby pitbullet » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:44 pm

Elle had some bad skin allergies and once she started the antibiotics, my vet gave me a shampoo called sulfoxydex (http://www.healthypets.com/sulfoxydex12.html) which has been awesome and it really made a difference in her coat/hair regrowth

maybe ask your vet if that might be an option?

damienApbt

Postby damienApbt » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:41 pm

you're right. I'll go with the organic chix mix. Neither of them get the squirts on the NV. I'll see how the chick organic works. As far as baths go, whenever rod is submersed in water, whether its a bath or in the ocean/lake/bay, he breaks out in bumps. The hyper allergenic soap I've been using doesn't seem to help at all. They are both on derm caps, rods doing a lot better since I've added benadryl and dermCaps. I just need to figure out the leaky brown butt issue.

No wool in her bed or other areas.

rednoseErnie
Forum Junky

Postby rednoseErnie » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:38 pm

Are you in the Sunset? I like my vet out there on Taraval. Not a fancy looking place, but they've always been nice and responsive. Avenues Pet Hospital.

damienApbt

Postby damienApbt » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:09 pm

rednoseErnie wrote:Are you in the Sunset? I like my vet out there on Taraval. Not a fancy looking place, but they've always been nice and responsive. Avenues Pet Hospital.

I'm in Potrero Hill. All Pets is a good place, but I guess I wanted a 2nd opinion, or some hollistic advice for possible remedies. I'll keep looking though. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check them out.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:02 pm

Damien- Baylee has been through two rounds of antibiotics, the first was prescribed for the Pyrometra, given to her post spay. The second was given for the skin rash she gave herself itching and doing that army crawl thing (although the rest of her skin was not pink) That is also when she was given the spray etc. The t-shirts do seem to help. If you look at the paperwork from the shelter that I gave you, I think they also gave her antibiotics??? Can it be detrimental to a dog to have too many antobiotics??

1st bad sign- vet tech kept calling Baylee a good boy while taking her temperature. I guess maybe she just wasn't paying attention, but whatever.

She SO doesn't look like a boy lol

Hope Rod's butt feels better :thumbsup:

damienApbt

Postby damienApbt » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:25 am

yes she doesn't look like a boy. Plus its hard to miss the fact that shes a girl when you have a thermometer in her butt.

I have been using the spray and her t-shirt. its definitely helping. This pink thing is new. I think there was enough time between med's, but I will call the vet to double check.
I just switched them both to the chicken. We'll see.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:33 pm

Cephalexin is my antibiotic of choice for skin infections... so he prescribed something for the infection... but nothing for the irritation.

Anal glands are seldom infected... they commonly have commensal bacteria in them, just like your intestines.

damienApbt

Postby damienApbt » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:12 pm

well they've been on the chicken for almost a week. Rod's butt problems seem to have subsided but has gone back to foot licking. Baylee is still itchy but the pink has gone away. I have to at least get Rod of the organic chicken.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:42 pm

Nope... don't make decisions yet!!

I have a food allergy dog, and it takes 8-12 WEEKS before you can make a determination on a food. You should be feeding a food with ONE meat source and ONE grain source and no treats, flavored medications, cat food, cheese, hot dogs, NOTHING for that twelve weeks.

If you do anything less, you're in for a world of confusion and may make your life more difficult than it has to be by diagnosing your pup with more allergies than he really has.

Also, ALL secondary infections (both bacterial and yeast) need to be 100% under control before you can make any determinations.

damienApbt

Postby damienApbt » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:15 pm

well, neither of them get anything to eat except the dog food. I switched them off the chix because rod started to show immediate signs of food allergy. his feet were turning red from excesive licking w/in the first week. Hopefully I can have them on the same food. Rod''s had some issues with chix in the past, but i figured I'd try this organic one.
I just switched them to the Lamb mix.
I'll do the 8-12 week test with this one.
I'll make sure that Baylee is finished with her medication and her "infection" has cleared.
thank you for the advice, hopefully I can finally work this out.

Return to “Health Issues”