Extremely long nails

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Angels3
Adolescent Bully

Extremely long nails

Postby Angels3 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:35 pm

Kaeda, my 2 year old goof ball has ALWAYS had long long nails, I can only cut them back so far before I will hit the quik which seems to run along the top of the nail to the tip. (ugh) as you can see here this is as short as we can get them and this is using a dremmel (sp) tool. The dremmel actually scares her far less than the hoop type clippers. can anyone give any advice? I would really like hers shorter and I do not want Toshka's to end up like that

trueraiderfan
Adolescent Bully

Postby trueraiderfan » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:45 pm

Pretty dog man! dang them are some long nails.

BlueBullyBabe
Adolescent Bully

Postby BlueBullyBabe » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:47 pm

Have you taken her to a groomer? See what they say.

Angels3
Adolescent Bully

Postby Angels3 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:51 pm

The groomer was the one who used the dremmel on her the first time and showed me how easy it was. They said they were long also LOL. roflmao

mr. beefy
Adolescent Bully

Postby mr. beefy » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:54 pm

Cut them often and to the quick, but don't quite hit it. Walk her on pavement like crazy. If you trim about once a week and let the pavement work like sandpaper, the quicks should recede.

A much more drastic method would be to have her put under and the nails cut all the way down at the vet. It's very painful for a few days, but I've seen that done in extreme cases when the dog goes in for a spay or something and then it's really easy for the vet to do when they're already under.

Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby 04100824 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:01 pm

She looks so HAPPY!

lol

Do a search on nails, clipping and long nails, and you'll get a TON of results.

GreenEyedBully
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby GreenEyedBully » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:14 pm

That's a Great Picture & a Cute Pup! My Phil has long nails too, but the groomer is working on clipping often, to keep them from being crazy. We have no pavement out here in the sticks & gravel & grass doesn't do much to wear down his nails.

ilovemypits
Addicted to PBF

Postby ilovemypits » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:20 pm

My sasha has long nails also, I have just been working on trimming them weekly and hoping I can get them shorter and shorter. Good luck! Cute pic :inlove:

dawnapbt
Addicted to PBF

Postby dawnapbt » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:52 pm

Whenever I have to get really long, fast growing nails down short, I dremel twice a week. Dremel at the top of the nail near the tip to narrow it -- approach the quick from the top and then trip off a bit at the tip itself as well. That will really encourage the quick to recede. Do it twice a week, just a bit at a time.

And as someone said, if you can get her to job on pavement, that will do wonders as well. Combine the running with the dremeling twice a week, and you should get those nails down.

Patch O' Pits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Patch O' Pits » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:30 pm

Definitely try using a dremel

lpyrbby
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lpyrbby » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:50 pm

dawnapbt wrote:Whenever I have to get really long, fast growing nails down short, I dremel twice a week. Dremel at the top of the nail near the tip to narrow it -- approach the quick from the top and then trip off a bit at the tip itself as well. That will really encourage the quick to recede. Do it twice a week, just a bit at a time.

And as someone said, if you can get her to job on pavement, that will do wonders as well. Combine the running with the dremeling twice a week, and you should get those nails down.

I don't want to be a dummy about this but I am what I am lol

What I'm envisioning here is that you are primarily focusing on the top and tip of the nail, and not so much with the sides or bottom?

dawnapbt
Addicted to PBF

Postby dawnapbt » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:01 pm

lpyrbby wrote:
dawnapbt wrote:
I don't want to be a dummy about this but I am what I am lol

What I'm envisioning here is that you are primarily focusing on the top and tip of the nail, and not so much with the sides or bottom?

Yes, the top of the nail (around the first 1/3 or so from the tip) and the tip itself.

http://www.pet-expo.com/nailcare/nailcare.gif

You see where the arrow is pointing on Diagram 2? That is the top of the nail. If you dremel there for a bit along with the tip itself, you will cause the quick to recede.

It's easier if your dog has white nails as you can see the quick. It's harder on dogs with black nails. Savvy has white, and that's how I trim his. Tauri's nails are black, but fortunately, hers stay the same size b/c they grow slow and she is so active I think she just naturally keeps them at a certain length. Savvy's I have to keep up on a lot. Tauri's I never have to trim.

Angels3
Adolescent Bully

Postby Angels3 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:05 pm

Beautiful!! Thanks guys!! I have been dremeling the tip and under, not the top. I will try the pavement jog. Something has to go give. Even when i had her Spayed in April they did that nasty cut through her quicks job since she was sedated and they still grew back, I swear she must have excess calcium. :thumbsup:

dawnapbt
Addicted to PBF

Postby dawnapbt » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:16 pm

Angels3 wrote:Beautiful!! Thanks guys!! I have been dremeling the tip and under, not the top. I will try the pavement jog. Something has to go give. Even when i had her Spayed in April they did that nasty cut through her quicks job since she was sedated and they still grew back, I swear she must have excess calcium. :thumbsup:

well, of course they grew back. They will grow back unless you keep trimming them. Some dogs you'll have to trim every week. Some dogs you can trim once every few weeks.

Angels3
Adolescent Bully

Postby Angels3 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:17 pm

:oops: I know they will grow back - hehe I guess i didnt finish that sentence, they were back to length around 2 weeks. HAHA I feel like a person who is even slower than I now.

Return to “Health Issues”