Where's the poop?????

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Where's the poop?????

Postby Jazzy » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:54 pm

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but I need reassurance.

V. was getting canidae dry w/ either canidae wet or z/d wet or a combo of the 2.

I remember reading in another thread that some folks thought dogs that ate canidae made a lot of poop. I can't completely remember V.'s poop pre-Canidae; but I remember agreeing with the canidae = poop sentiment; because V. really made quite a good amount on the Canidae.

So, recent allergy attack, vet wanted her back on z/d. I switched her to the z/d dry and only z/d wet. WHERE"S THE POOP????

She used to go 2x a day, now sometimes once, sometimes twice. She used to make mounds of poop. Now...if she squeezes out a couple of smallish very non-impressive poops, I'm lucky.

I'm sure this is nothing to panic about and just due to the food change right? It's unlikely that she would have some sort of blockage and slowly be building up poop until she explodes, right? Should I be worried? She's eating fine and otherwise seems fine. The past couple of days her stomach has been a lilttle oogy, but I'm assuming that that's from all the benadryl...

So...panic or don't panic?

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:58 pm

Given my dog's experience with Canidae (pooped 4x a day, sometimes mushy, sometimes firm) which sounds a bit like Veronica's, I wouldn't worry. I have never given Molly Benadryl though so I don't know how that might affect her system.

Amie

Postby Amie » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:26 pm

I had problems with a batch of my raw food this week and didn't have a chance to buy more. I had some Felidae (cat version of Canidae) in the house and fed that two the cats for the three days it took me to get to the store for raw. All of a sudden the litter box is full! I know it's supposed to be high quality food, but yeah, they do put out a LOT of waste....

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:05 pm

Wow, I guess it just depends on the dog (or cat, Amie!). . . Kane is on Canidae and he generally poops only 2x per day.

Jazzy

Postby Jazzy » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:01 am

mommy2kane wrote:Wow, I guess it just depends on the dog (or cat, Amie!). . . Kane is on Canidae and he generally poops only 2x per day.

V. only pooped 2x a day on Canidae; but each time it was A LOT of poop. A "goodly amount" as I like to say. :))

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:54 am

Jazzy wrote:
mommy2kane wrote:Wow, I guess it just depends on the dog (or cat, Amie!). . . Kane is on Canidae and he generally poops only 2x per day.

V. only pooped 2x a day on Canidae; but each time it was A LOT of poop. A "goodly amount" as I like to say. :))

Oh, ok. Sorry, I must have missed that! Yea, Kane's are fairly small. . . interesting.

Jazzy

Postby Jazzy » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:47 am

Well...still not happy with the poop situation.

She is pooping 1x/day and the stools are less in amount, thinner and she seems to be straining.

Otherwise, her appetite is good and she is behaving normally. She did throw up yesterday, but that was after eating 2 pieces of cheese, 2 slices of ham and some chicken while running around an agility course for an hour in 80F heat. She came home, took a big drink of water and :yucky: water and training treats.

So, I'm worried. I don't think she got into anything; but I do give her rawhides, which she generally is good about chewing/gnawing & not swallowing. But now with the poop situation, I'm worrying she got a big peice and swallowed that I didn't see.

What do you guys think? I'm thinking of putting her back on the canidae for 1 -2 nights; and if the poop doesn't return to "normal"; taking her to the vet. Thoughts, suggestions, advice?

Timas Mom
Matured Bully

Postby Timas Mom » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:06 am

um if she is on ZD why is she getting ham, cheese and other treats?

ZD is a very light kibble and my dog had small poops on it too. It defeats the purpose of putting her on ZD and then feed her all kinds of other stuff.

Jazzy

Postby Jazzy » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:18 am

Timas Mom wrote:um if she is on ZD why is she getting ham, cheese and other treats?

ZD is a very light kibble and my dog had small poops on it too. It defeats the purpose of putting her on ZD and then feed her all kinds of other stuff.

She likes it :)) . Alot!!

Actually She was allergy tested and she has alot of allergies to grass, pollen, weeds, trees and this is her bad time of year. She tested positive for a few food allergies (beef, white potatoe, carrot...none of what I gave her for treats)...but she ate all of that during the winter with no problems. Bottom line, I don't particualarly believe her food allergies are that strong, but since she had the hive problem & the vet said, why not put her back on z/d...I thought what the hell. She never stopped getting the z/d wet, because she LOVES it with a burning, firey passion. Technically I really didn't have to change the canidae because it came back as a recommended food based on her allergy testing. I don't know what I was thinking other than, "maybe the z/d dry can't hurt for the summer, and god knows she loves it".

But I need to be certain of the change in poop so I can relax. It could very well be from the z/d and from the change in kibble...but I will worry until I am certain.

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:40 pm

Does she usually adjust to food changes quickly? I haven't changed Molly's food too many times but each time, it took around three weeks for her poop to fully regulate (two weeks of transition and then one more week just on the new food). Maybe she should stay on the z/d and just add a little pumpkin?

Jazzy

Postby Jazzy » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:14 am

mtlu wrote:Does she usually adjust to food changes quickly? I haven't changed Molly's food too many times but each time, it took around three weeks for her poop to fully regulate (two weeks of transition and then one more week just on the new food). Maybe she should stay on the z/d and just add a little pumpkin?

You know, I haven't changed her food in awhile, so I don't completely remember and you may be right. I'm assuming she'd adjust pretty quickly because she has always had alot of "people food" add ins & training treats and never had a problem...

but you could be right about the kibble; it's still about 1/3 of her diet.

I wish I wasn't such an obsessive worrier. :frown:

Clayton4
Newborn Bully

Postby Clayton4 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:10 pm

Tried Canidae for a minute and have switched from it. The dogs, especially the younger ones never have any consistency(as far as bowel movements go) some running, some solid, some water. Switched back to Timber Wolf and everything is back to normal. They go twice a day now and things are good.

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:11 pm

Ahem, as a Canidae feeder, you've got me wondering what is "Z/D" ??

OlympianAB
Addicted to PBF

Postby OlympianAB » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:14 pm

z/d is an allergy formula from Science Diet..it's very shinny kibble..and the wet food feels SO GROSs...

we had a dog work i work on ZD, and we mix some can w wet, and it felt so strange on my hand..lol

Jazzy

Postby Jazzy » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:50 am

OlympianAB wrote:z/d is an allergy formula from Science Diet..it's very shinny kibble..and the wet food feels SO GROSs...

we had a dog work i work on ZD, and we mix some can w wet, and it felt so strange on my hand..lol

Actually it's Hill's Prescription Diet; unless they're connected with Science diet - I'm not sure.

The kibble is a little shiny...but more so than that; it STINKS!! lol

Anyway; I'm now feeding 1/2 z/d, 1/2 canidae...poops more solid, no straining but still once/day.

Return to “Health Issues”