Raw Eggs

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
kodasmom
Super Bully

Raw Eggs

Postby kodasmom » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:10 am

A friend of mine was telling me last night that she adds a raw egg shell and all to her boxer's kibble twice a week. She says her dog loves eating the shells and it is quite funny to watch.

My question is this.... Could I start adding a raw egg to Koda's diet? What are the benefits from this? What is the frequency that I could add the egg?

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:34 am

maggie LOVES raw eggs.
if i put an egg, liver, kidney, and a chickens foot in her bowl (that was her breakfast this morning), she'll go straight for the egg!

i have to DROP it in her bowl tho, to make it crack a little. otherwise she'll pick it up whole and go crack it on my carpet lol

i don't know about the health benefits, i would think it'd be good for their skin/coat. but i know maggie loves em, so she gets them once or twice a week.

InBearsMemory
Bully Ambassador

Re:

Postby InBearsMemory » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:02 am

Here's a question. My vet told me not to feed raw eggs anymore as apparently there is something in the egg that will prevent certain nutrients to be absorbed by the dogs body. Does anybody have any more info on that?

Legend
Adolescent Bully

Postby Legend » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:15 am

Code: Select all

I don't know.. I just feed my bullies the the whites  and maybe part of the yellow.

For me its once a week.

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Re:

Postby mtlu » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:23 am

InBearsMemory wrote:Here's a question. My vet told me not to feed raw eggs anymore as apparently there is something in the egg that will prevent certain nutrients to be absorbed by the dogs body. Does anybody have any more info on that?

Try doing a search for "biotin" – I read up on the raw egg thing a while ago and after wading through all the conflicting info, concluded that it's totally safe to feed whole raw eggs, shell included. I can't remember the various sources of info and neglected to bookmark them but my dog gets a raw egg mixed into her kibble a couple of times a week and we've never had any issues.

Hopefully someone who knows this stuff better will post an explanation.

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:28 am

The instructor in my vet tech class mentioned the other day that dogs could get salmonilla from raw eggs and she didn't know why people thought it was a good idea to feed them eggs at all. I suspect (I've only had her a couple of weeks now) that she's one of those Science Diet fans-eww so I kind of took it with a grain of salt.
Jen

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:33 am

I feed my dogs raw eggs, shell and all, on a daily basis. They love it.

mom2bennientiny
Super Bully

Postby mom2bennientiny » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:00 pm

I feed them 2-3 times per week, minus the shells. Nobody in my house likes the shells and Quincy will just carry them around the house making a mess.

El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby El_EmDubya » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:19 pm

Monte gets 3-4 eggs a week, sans shell as he hates them, and has done so for the three years I've had him.

Egg yolks are filled with healthy nutrients including all the fat soluble vitamins, (A, D, E and K), and oils (Oleic, Linoleic, Palmitoleic, Linolenic, Palmitic, Stearic, Myristic).

The risks of salmonella far outweigh the benefits as dogs have stomach acids that are far stronger than our digestive juices. (Dog's stomachs have to be able to digest bones.) In fact, I know of one owner who solved her dog's skin issues by feeding one raw egg a day... after exhausting ALL medicinal and behavioral solutions, her dog was just missing a nutrient easily provided by an egg.

kodasmom
Super Bully

Postby kodasmom » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:24 pm

I am going to start giving her a raw egg daily and see what it does for her. I wonder if it is possible to crush up the shell.... The one thing I do know about eggs is that the shell is high in calcium.

sarallyn
Bully Ambassador

Postby sarallyn » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:36 pm

the egg white compromises the blood's ability to absorb the nutrient biotin, I believe.

I always hard boil.

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:53 pm

kodasmom wrote:I am going to start giving her a raw egg daily and see what it does for her. I wonder if it is possible to crush up the shell.... The one thing I do know about eggs is that the shell is high in calcium.

I crush the shell into small pieces and mix it all with the food.

sarallyn wrote:the egg white compromises the blood's ability to absorb the nutrient biotin.

That sounds familiar but I also remember reading that the contents of the yolk balances that out or something to that effect. I wish I remembered the sources I read from (and I'm sure the same info can be found in several threads here on PBF) but what I got out of sifting all the info is that separating whites/shells is unnecessary.

Jorsher
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Jorsher » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:12 pm

Molly loves raw eggs :) Sometimes I put one on her food.

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:29 pm

kodasmom wrote:I am going to start giving her a raw egg daily and see what it does for her. I wonder if it is possible to crush up the shell.... The one thing I do know about eggs is that the shell is high in calcium.

I forgot to say that I DO mix it up in my raw vegetable mixture in the food processor, so the shell isn't whole. It's in tiny pieces.

Esoteric AST
Newborn Bully

Postby Esoteric AST » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:57 pm

Raw eggs won't hurt your dog however a boiled or fried egg will be better. There has been a lot of research indicating the absorption of protein from a cooked egg is over 90% whereas the absorption of a raw egg is between 40-50%. The dog gets more from a cooked egg. Over half of the egg is wasted when it is given raw.

Return to “Health Issues”