Raw Eggs

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
cheeky
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby cheeky » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:45 am

Esoteric AST wrote:Raw eggs won't hurt your dog however a boiled or fried egg will be better. There has been a lot of research indicating the absorption of protein from a cooked egg is over 90% whereas the absorption of a raw egg is between 40-50%. The dog gets more from a cooked egg. Over half of the egg is wasted when it is given raw.

I heard that recently also. I have fed a raw diet for years & I feed eggs almost daily. After reading this, I decided I should boil them first but I can never remember to do it & if I scramble an egg it is going in a tortilla! lol

Pipbull
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Pipbull » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:06 am

Esoteric, do you have any links to that research about cooked eggs being better than raw?

Esoteric AST
Newborn Bully

Postby Esoteric AST » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:09 am

Pipbull wrote:Esoteric, do you have any links to that research about cooked eggs being better than raw?

There is quite a bit on the net now since a nutritional study was done. In an effort not to cite Wikipedia (LOL) I will provide you a link to The Journal of Nutrition..

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/128/10/1716

In a nutshell it was found that the true ileal digestibility of cooked and raw egg protein amounted to 90.9 ± 0.8 and 51.3 ± 9.8%, respectively.

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:06 pm

Do you think that dogs (as opposed to humans) would still access more nutrition from raw eggs? I'm definitely sticking w/cooked eggs for myself though.

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:02 pm

I'm definitely sticking with cooked eggs for myself, too!

Esoteric, did you say there had been a new study done? The study in that link is from 1998.

Pipbull
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Pipbull » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:31 pm

And also for humans rather than canines.

medagrl

Postby medagrl » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:17 pm

So.....we haven't actually found if they are more beneficial for the dogs cooked or raw?

LCD
Matured Bully

Postby LCD » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:00 pm

I put a raw egg with shell in Bishop's kibble pretty much every morning. I smash up the shells with a spoon and mix it all up with the egg... It ends up being like a gravy and he LOVES it... Helps keep his coat shiny too

leopardjunkie
Adolescent Bully

Postby leopardjunkie » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:14 pm

I feed raw eggs to my two...they love um...

But they are not whole shell fans...So when we make eggs or if i give them eggs i put the shells in an ice cream bucket and let them dry...then i grind in the coffee grinder and sprinkle 1 tsp onto food with eggs.

Dogs process food faster than humans...if we eat raw eggs they sit in our digestive tracts longer increasing the chances for harmful bacteria to multiple and casue problems...for instance solmonilla....(SP?)

However the dog process it faster and the chance of solmonill is lets cuase it does not sit as long as it does for us....

just offer um fresh eggs...and start um slow because starting um on alot of eggs right away can cause diareaha if they don't handle change well...

TuckerPup!
Newborn Bully

Postby TuckerPup! » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:03 pm

Mem gets an egg a day usually cooked to a sunny side up consistency (mixed in with her various other foods) along with a teaspoon of ground eggshell. The shell is basically pure calcium which a phosphorous binder. This works great for her since her kidneys are an issue and a lower phosphorous diet is important.

Paul Neuhaus
Newborn Bully

Postby Paul Neuhaus » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:25 pm

This is a great discussion, and I've already posted some info on this topic in the "B.A.R.F. 101" thread.

While that study is dated about 10 years ago, there have been NO studies to disprove it since, even though scientists have tried.

Also, while we can agree that canine and human digestive systems are different in many ways, there is no proof that the canines are NOT effected the way humans are by the avidin found in raw eggs. Therefore, I feel it is best for me to feed my dogs hardboiled eggs.

I am living proof that cooked eggs are better for humans than raw eggs. I'm an athlete, and I go through about 7 dozen eggs a week to help me meet my protein intake requirements. For years, I was putting raw eggs in my shakes, even though other athletes were preaching to me about the benefits of cooking them. After getting Salmonella, I switched to cooked, and the changes to my body have been very noticeable. I now have more lean muscle tissue and I'm much stronger because my vitamin B6 levels are now higher AND my body is absorbing all of the muscle-building protein.

In conclusion, since I do know how beneficial it is to cook eggs for human consumption based on scientific data and my own personal experience, I will also cook my dogs eggs until someone can show me scientific proof that the avidin found in raw eggs does not effect canines the way it effects humans.

Kahlie
Forum Junky

Postby Kahlie » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:54 pm

I used to feed it, but my dear lil' Jasper is allergic to chicken, and by extension apparently eggs!

Fed for a while and no problems ever were found, I don't remember the benefits that I found (it's been a while) but I think I saw a difference in their coat...?

I stopped feeding it to Cyrus also when Jasper was having his allergies to it...

kaytenmags
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kaytenmags » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:59 pm

maggie gets a raw egg every week or two. (or whenever i have lots of eggs).

i drop it in her bowl so it cracks, otherwise she'll gently pick it up and walk over to the carpet and break it lol

Paul Neuhaus
Newborn Bully

Postby Paul Neuhaus » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:09 pm

Paul Neuhaus wrote:This is a great discussion, and I've already posted some info on this topic in the "B.A.R.F. 101" thread.

While that study is dated about 10 years ago, there have been NO studies to disprove it since, even though scientists have tried.

Also, while we can agree that canine and human digestive systems are different in many ways, there is no proof that the canines are NOT effected the way humans are by the avidin found in raw eggs. Therefore, I feel it is best for me to feed my dogs hardboiled eggs.

I am living proof that cooked eggs are better for humans than raw eggs. I'm an athlete, and I go through about 7 dozen eggs a week to help me meet my protein intake requirements. For years, I was putting raw eggs in my shakes, even though other athletes were preaching to me about the benefits of cooking them. After getting Salmonella, I switched to cooked, and the changes to my body have been very noticeable. I now have more lean muscle tissue and I'm much stronger because my vitamin B6 levels are now higher AND my body is absorbing all of the muscle-building protein.

In conclusion, since I do know how beneficial it is to cook eggs for human consumption based on scientific data and my own personal experience, I will also cook my dogs eggs until someone can show me scientific proof that the avidin found in raw eggs does not effect canines the way it effects humans.

Since I can't edit my post, I'd like to add one more thing to this regarding the risk of Salmonella. While I do agree with what some have said about canines' degestive enzymes being stronger than ours and having the ability to destroy some bacteria, I have yet to see any scientific studies proving that the digestive enzymes of canines can destroy Salmonella. This is just another reason why I'll continue to boil eggs for my dogs, because it's really a gamble if I don't have scientific proof.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:15 pm

kaytenmags wrote:maggie gets a raw egg every week or two. (or whenever i have lots of eggs).

i drop it in her bowl so it cracks, otherwise she'll gently pick it up and walk over to the carpet and break it lol

My little guy likes to "attack" the egg if you crack it so a little of the good stuff comes out and then put it in a bowl. He's happy for the 10 minutes it take him to make sure that the egg is empty.

Return to “Health Issues”