2 weeks With E-COLLAR after neutering?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Legend
Adolescent Bully

2 weeks With E-COLLAR after neutering?

Postby Legend » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:11 am

This is what they told me. Does that sounds right? It seems too long?

And can you walk your bullY?

They say no jumping & no running.. forgot to ask about walking?

07.12.08 will be Legend's 7th day.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:18 am

We usually wait about a week to 10 days here. Any time after it's safe to bathe and they say 10 days for that.
I mean, if he bites it or something, you'd need to put the collar back on but if it's looking closed, it should be fine!

mom2bennientiny
Super Bully

Postby mom2bennientiny » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:05 pm

I was told 10 days when Quincy was neutered in May. I hate e-collars though and as soon as they brought him to the room after his neuter, he slammed right into my leg with that. I said, "Yeah, that thing definitely needs to come off immediately!" The tech in the room with me said, "Yeah, well it can't for 10 days!" It was removed the second we hit the parking lot and I never had a problem. Every dog is different, but those things are a pain and I don't think a dog should have to wear them unless they've really shown interest in their incision.

Walking is fine, play should be limited but Quincy was a nutzo by day 2 and he just had the glue, not external stitches. Luckily, we had no issues but it did freak me out a little.

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:16 pm

I *rarely* have had to use an e-collar... not after spays, neuters or other surgeries. I did have to keep one on Sophie after she had her eye removed so she wouldn't bump it on the side with no sight.

I'd just see how he does. If he bothers the surgery area at all, keep it on him when you can't watch him. A lot of dogs never bother the stitches at all.

MsPsychotic
Matured Bully

Postby MsPsychotic » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:56 pm

We didn't use an e-collar for Bear back in May. We brought him home from the vets office. We kept him calm and limited his activity for 3-4 days. Lots of kongs stuffed with things. My activity was limited for those 3-4 days because he's a big snuggler.. so as long as I was lounging in bed watching TV.. he'd just lay there with me.

I'd take him out to potty, but that was all the walking he got. By the 5th or 6th day, he was getting anxious. So I started walking him around the yard for 5-10 minutes twice a day. I kept that up until the 2wk mark. He wouldn't let me coddle him beyond that point.. he was fed up and wanted to play with Sally.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:15 pm

ruby only wore her ecollar when we were at work to make sure she didnt lick her stitches out. once home we took the collar off. after a week she was fine with no collar while we were at work. as long as the pup doesnt lick the stitches you are fine, but if you are going out or not home put the collar on.

ewwies
Addicted to PBF

Postby ewwies » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:38 pm

i couldnt use a cone on my dog. He would not move.. he would just stand there.. frozen. Luckily he didnt bother his stitches.

But they told me 10 days, until the stitches came out.

SFBullyGirl
Addicted to PBF

Postby SFBullyGirl » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:24 pm

ewwies wrote:i couldnt use a cone on my dog. He would not move.. he would just stand there.. frozen. Luckily he didnt bother his stitches.

But they told me 10 days, until the stitches came out.

haha that is what Trixie does too

hwillm1977
Addicted to PBF

Postby hwillm1977 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:46 pm

Our foster Sykes was neutered just before he flew to us... (like two days before the flight), he didn't come with an Ecollar and we didn't put one on him... he was fine.

We went for short walks around the yard a bunch of times each day... within 7 days we was driving us nuts and the stitches had disappeared and the swelling.bruising went down so that's when he started to play more.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:39 pm

If you want to take the collar off, go ahead. But don't expect the vet to foot the bill if he needs a second surgery because he licked his stitches out.

Its YOUR dog, you are allowed to weigh the risks vs. benefits for your pet.

If there is ANY chance that he will lick, chances are it will happen at night, so I encourage people to leave the collar on at night even if the dog is good during the day.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:19 pm

That seems excessive, and as others have said, dogs vary. Some don't bother their sutures. I have an e-collar here in my house, which has never been used. After being mauled, Elmo had countless stitches, and 3 drains in him, and bothered none of them. Tully never touched her spay incision.

Personally, I'd watch, and see what the dog does..

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:06 pm

I never had to use one for spay/neuter for my guys, but I did have a HORRIBLE time with my girl who just had a tumor removed from her leg. Assess the situation when you are at home with him, but it might be safest to use the cone when you are away or sleeping. It only take a few minutes for them to lick at it enough to hurt the sutures or get it infected. Jasmine wore the cone for about 10-12 days and I removed her stitches at 14 days (this was a leg, though).

Return to “Health Issues”