Is my vet over charging me?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Fenriswolf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Fenriswolf » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:52 pm

XDogs wrote:I have a concern unrelated to the cost... getting a Distemper-combo booster two weeks after the first visit is not following the vaccine protocol all that well. Boosters should be given within 3 - 4 weeks from each other. If not, you are not getting as well an immune response from the body, as it will not be able to differentiate between the two exposures. The body, if boostered too early, will consider the two vaccines as one exposure and not build as well a memory.

OK, I'm not actually sure how this works, but it's quite normal to give shots at 6, 8, and 12 weeks. If you don't start the course until 7-8 weeks there's no point in doing 3 shots though. I did ask why this was and whether it makes a significant difference but didn't get a clear answer.

Still, it's standard, BUT for newer vaccines I believe most people don't bother any more... they are more effective or something, not sure of specifics :oops:

XDogs
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby XDogs » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:25 am

Any vaccines given at 6 weeks of age are pretty much destroyed by the mother's antibodies the pup ingested during the first 24 hours of nursing (collostrum). Hence, you re-vaccinate at 8 weeks... at which point, the mom's antibodies are beginning to wane. You then re-vaccinate every 3 - 4 weeks until the pup is 16 weeks or older. If you stop at 12 weeks, you have a VERY high chance of the pup's immune system still being shielded by mom's antibodies.... meaning: it hasn't really had any exposure to the vaccine yet... meaning: not enough memory cells of the immune system have been produced to protect the pup against an actual exposure to the disease in the future... meaning: your pup is not protected. At 16 weeks, almost 100 % of puppies will have none of their mother's antibodies left, hence you want to get one last reminder for the immune system working for the pup to last for the next year. Then you booster one more time. What you do from that point forward differs from vet to vet, as there are newer efficacy studies and opinions on the matter.

Puppy vaccine protocols for Distemper, Parvo, Adenovirus and Parainfluenza are pretty much written in stone. Doesn't matter what vaccine brand you use; you are dealing with the simple logistics of the immune-response to a developing immune system to these particular pathogens.

Bordetella should be given at least twice.. the second and last one of the series also should be given at or after 16 weeks of age.

Rabies can be given as soon as 12 weeks (most brands available today), however most vaccine protocols wait until 16 - 18 weeks to not have the immune system work on too many diseases at the same time.

mrpps
Adolescent Bully

Postby mrpps » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:31 am

You said that your vet doesn't charge a professional fee or other such "unnecessary charges". I'm not saying you're an arsehole, but have no clue how you expect vets to operate without a fee for their time.

You evidently spend too much time on forums or are delusional. I didn't say anything about "unnecessary charges" nor make any reference to anybody here paying them.

u-turn
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby u-turn » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:32 am

WOW...

now i either love my vet now or im scared of her? lol not sure yet..

my 1st shots for hazel (DHPP-cvk)24.50 + office vist of 30.00 +deworm sm 10.00 = 64.50 out the door

2nd was DHPP-CVK 24.50 wormer 10.00 = 34.50

todays visit was DHLPP 24.50 dewormer 10.00 = 34.50 plus two interceptor flavored tabs.

next visit = will be shos 24.50 plus 12.50 rabies. = 37.00

PS.. my vet only charges a office visit on the first visit..

Obed
Forum Junky

Postby Obed » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:26 pm

Our first three visits were around $124 to $138 each, we also had problems with parasites a little added cost, and yesterday was his "Fixin" and getting a chip put in.. total $245

u-turn
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby u-turn » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:13 pm

im thinking of chipping both of mine. Our vet quoted me 40.00 each and thats including the first year of service. Is that on par?

Return to “Health Issues”