To bathe or not to bathe?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
AkainePSP
Adolescent Bully

To bathe or not to bathe?

Postby AkainePSP » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:37 pm

I have been walking Lila about 3.5 miles per day. When she is on this walk she is able to run and play, roll in the grass etc. My question is is it ok to bathe her after her daily walk? I have been told that to much bathing will dry her skin, but she has such terrible allergies that even with meds her skin gets iitchy and in turn becomes inflamed and sore. I honestly think she is allergic to grass.

Is it ok to bathe her daily in my pine tar soap until her skin clears up?

Thanks

Kelly

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:43 pm

its possible its the bugs in the grass that are biting her...

AkainePSP
Adolescent Bully

Postby AkainePSP » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:49 pm

I would think anything is possible. Anyway to prevent this?? I mean I can make a spray but I am not so sure I want to put it on her skin right now as irritated as it is.

Kirstan
Forum Junky

Postby Kirstan » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:01 pm

My dogs' dermatologist, recommended by Nikki and he told her the same thing, said that it's not a problem to bathe as much as needed. Use calming shampoo made for dogs with no drying ingredients... sometimes, I just rinse them off in lukewarm water but mine get baths as often as needed.

Luvabully
Adolescent Bully

Postby Luvabully » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:03 pm

I used to have a rabbit that became urinary incontinent towards the end of his life. I was bathing him every other day with EFA HyLyte shampoo. That stuff is the bomb! It never dried out his skin despite the very frequent baths.

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:32 am

What I do, because Ella has extremely sensitive skin and is more susceptible to skin infections, I have some Chlorhexiderm 2% rinse that I put into a spray bottle and I wipe her down everytime we come in from outside. I just spray it on her and use a towel to rub it into her coat/skin.
I also have malaseb wipes and I just got some Chlorhexiderm 4% spray yesterday that I'll be using on her when we come in from outside.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:38 am

Wearing a t-shirt or other protective doggie clothing can help prevent the need for baths.

AkainePSP
Adolescent Bully

Postby AkainePSP » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:13 am

chewbecca wrote:What I do, because Ella has extremely sensitive skin and is more susceptible to skin infections, I have some Chlorhexiderm 2% rinse that I put into a spray bottle and I wipe her down everytime we come in from outside. I just spray it on her and use a towel to rub it into her coat/skin.
I also have malaseb wipes and I just got some Chlorhexiderm 4% spray yesterday that I'll be using on her when we come in from outside.

Just went and ordered some! Her skin is looking better since I have been bathing her after every walk but I think I may try the tshirt as well. I don't have any dog t shirts but I'm sure I can find a t shirt of mine that I can finagle. I'm willing to try anything. I would love to find a way to get her off the allergy meds.

Thanks everyone!

Kelly

tigger
Newborn Bully

Postby tigger » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:49 pm

Malaseb and chlorhexiderm shampoos are available in gallon sizes. If you can drop the $95 you save a ton in the long run. Just google the product. I know that Amazon has it. I don't know if the wipes or sprays come in larger sizes.

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:47 pm

My vet sold me some Nolvasan shampoo when Juneau got terrible skin allergies. It has chlorhexidine in it, but it worked much better than my chlorhexidine flush (probably because the flush just washed off the infected area, while the shampoo removed all the allergins temporarily).

AkainePSP
Adolescent Bully

Postby AkainePSP » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:05 pm

I purchased a small bottle rather than a gallon to see if it works better than the pine tar shampoo bars I make.

Again thanks for the suggestions.

Kelly

AkainePSP
Adolescent Bully

Postby AkainePSP » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:17 pm

The more I am reading the more I think Lila has mange and unfortunately I think its sarcoptic. I did purchase the Chlorhexiderm shampoo, flush and the malaseb wipes.

These came yesterday. Today I ordered the Chlorhexiderm 4% spray and goodwidol ointment.

I bathed Lila yesterday in the Chlorhexiderm shampoo and I have been using the wipes in the morning and before bed. I also used the flush on her after we came in from outside. On our walks I have been putting a T shirt on her and I think thats been helping.

I am also going to call my vet and see about getting Lila in to have her skin scraped for mange. In the meantime I can't see where the Chlorhexiderm malaseb treatment is going to hurt her.

Kelly

MsPsychotic
Matured Bully

Postby MsPsychotic » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:10 pm

It's hard (nearly impossible) to tell one type of mange from the other. The only way to know for sure is a skin scrape. It's a 10 minute vet visit, if they aren't swamped.

Our vet said sarcoptic mange can cause scabbies in humans. So, it's a good thing it was demodex with our Bear.

Return to “Health Issues”