Is Ace okay for pits?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Is Ace okay for pits?

Postby dogs4jen » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:06 am

I just took Roscoe in for his neutering, and she gave him an injection of acepromizine (hope I spelled that right) and I said, "Pits aren't sensitive to that like Boxers are, are they?" and she said they use it for all breeds. I remember asking them several years ago (with my boxer) if they use Ace because it can kill boxers, and they said no they don't use it.
Jen

innocence621
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby innocence621 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:08 am

Yep, it's okay for them

RescueAPBT
Matured Bully

Postby RescueAPBT » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:12 am

Ace is fine for Pit Bulls. Never seen any reactions from it. I wasn't aware that Boxers had a problem with it? We used to use it on Boxers all the time at the vet hospital I worked at...never had any problems.

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:13 am

Thanks so much! I've been trying to stay calm, but you know how it is when your puppy is having surgery-aack!
Jen

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:22 am

Ace is relatively safe but can cause issues in any breed, not just Boxers (if it does harm them).
One side effect can be seizures. Just keep a close eye on him.

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:28 am

I sure will, thanks. About the Ace and boxers, there's a big sticky on boxercrazy.org about it from the boxer club, saying don't use it on them.
Jen

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:02 am

I use it in the course of my ACO duties to pre-sedate dogs for euthanasia, I've not had issues, but I haven't ever euth'ed a boxer, and I have always mixed it with xylazine which takes away the tendency for dogs to seize.

Kahlie
Forum Junky

Postby Kahlie » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:50 pm

dogs4jen wrote:I sure will, thanks. About the Ace and boxers, there's a big sticky on boxercrazy.org about it from the boxer club, saying don't use it on them.
Jen

What's the rationale for not using it on boxers? (in the sticky on that site)

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:35 pm

Nope, could not pay me enough to give Acepromazine to any of my dogs.

TangoJr
Matured Bully

Postby TangoJr » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:49 am

I'm also a member of boxer forums and they have tons of info about ACE. Apparently there are quite a few boxers that have died from heart related problems while using ace....

There is one drug used in anesthetic protocols that should not be used on the Boxer. That drug is Acepromazine, a tranquilizer that is often used as a preanesthetic agent. In the Boxer, it tends to cause a problem called first degree heart block, a potentially serious arrhythmia of the heart. It also causes a profound hypotension (severe lowering of the blood pressure) in many Boxers that are given the drug. Recently on the Veterinary Information Network, a computer network for practicing veterinarians, an announcement was placed in the cardiology section entitled "Acepromazine and Boxers". This described several adverse reactions to the drug in a very short time span at a Veterinary Teaching Hospital. All the adverse reactions were in Boxers. The reactions included collapse, respiratory arrest, and profound bradycardia (slow heart rate, less than 60 beats per minute). The announcement suggested that acepromazine should not be used in dogs of the Boxer breed because of a breed related sensitivity to the drug.

TangoJr
Matured Bully

Postby TangoJr » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:51 am

Forgot to post the source.
http://www.jlhweb.net/BOSS/ace.htm

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:23 pm

He's doing fine, just has a bit of a cough. Otherwise you'd hardly know he just had surgery. If he ever has to have more surgery, maybe I'll ask them not to use that stuff.
Thanks again for keeping me from freaking out!
Jen

6pak
Bully Ambassador

Postby 6pak » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:36 pm

I used it with shady before with no problems.
http://www.wedgewoodpharmacy.com/monogr ... aleate.asp

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:43 pm

Boxers are predisposed to a condition called dilated cardiomyopathy, in fact they're so predisposed to this condition its also known as "boxer cardiomyopathy" Acepromazine can cause low blood pressure. When you combine heart problems with low blood pressure, dogs can die.

This is true for ALL breeds, boxers are just high on the list of canines with heart problems. If a thorough physical exam is performed and appropriate monitoring is used, the risks of anesthesia/sedation are not any higher for any particular breed (or age for that matter) unless there is a health condition such as obesity, heart disease, liver disease or renal disease.

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:08 pm

I too, could not even be paid to use ace on any of my dogs. There are other sedatives out there that are just as effective and not as dangerous. I've seen 3 dogs in my lifetime (which isn't that long, lol) die from ace. Two were Boxers, one was an American Bulldog.

Return to “Health Issues”