Pooping behind bushes and giving you the pathetic look

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
bossdog08
Newborn Bully

Pooping behind bushes and giving you the pathetic look

Postby bossdog08 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:11 pm

I've observed a few dogs do this and I'd like to know from someone who knows about dog behavior - Why do some dogs act "embarrassed" when they use the bathroom? Where did they learn this from? Are they really feeling embarrassed or is it some kind of doggy behavior that gets misunderstood?

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:56 pm

I'd be interested in a reply to this as well. Two of mine could care less but one goes behind the garage so I can't see her. If I do actually catch her in the act, she hangs her head. :)

Jorsher
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Jorsher » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:53 pm

Were they owned by someone else at one time?

Maybe the previous owner punished the dog excessively for defecating in the house and now the dog thinks it's something it shouldn't do? Tries to poop out of your sight so it doesn't get punished?

No clue.

bossdog08
Newborn Bully

Postby bossdog08 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:08 pm

Could be the case with some dogs, but I've known others that were outside dogs all the time and STILL had the "look of shame" on their face.

tigger
Newborn Bully

Postby tigger » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:35 pm

I had a female that, when in public, had to poop & piddle behind a bush or she would try to hold it. And yes, there was the put out, pathetic look of indecent exposure all about her. But....

Dogs don't have guilt or shame or many of the things that plague humans. It's probably just, "ok, it's coming... come on... almost there... ahhhhh now I feel better." Because, in all honesty, when they are done they are happy. I usually see a bit of a spring in a dogs step and a wagging tail when it's over. That could just be their version of concentration. Or maybe... they're wondering why that human of thiers is staring at them.....................

When they refuse to poop in front of you they are probably afraid of being reprimanded. Some dogs who were reprimanded too much during the house-breaking period can be that way. Verbal will do it as much as physical.

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:01 pm

tigger wrote: Or maybe... they're wondering why that human of thiers is staring at them.....................

When they refuse to poop in front of you they are probably afraid of being reprimanded. Some dogs who were reprimanded too much during the house-breaking period can be that way. Verbal will do it as much as physical.

Those were my thoughts as well.

mr. beefy
Adolescent Bully

Postby mr. beefy » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:44 pm

jlphilli wrote:
tigger wrote: Or maybe... they're wondering why that human of thiers is staring at them.....................

My argument against this:

Many, many years ago I adopted my first dog, a puppy, from the city shelter. She was a cattle dog/chow mix, about 6 weeks old.

I kept her inside and confined for a few days with newspaper in part of her habitat for the #1 and #2. For three days, she maybe piddled twice. On day 4, I took her outside. She immediately ran to the very furthest back corner of the yard, ran behind a bush, and took her first crap in three days, ashamed look on her face.

This puppy most likely was not abused and reprimanded during the potty training stage, as she has been barely weaned and spent a few pivotal days in the shelter, she was just hard-wired that way. I have no idea why, but she was like that her whole life, always creeping into the bushes and hiding her mess.

Also, she was an exceptionally clean dog.

Personally, I think it's kind of dangerous to "tell stories" about our dog's pasts. For instance, i was convinced this particular dog didn't like black people because she must have been abused by one before I got her. It never occurred to me, until years later, that maybe it was because she never met any.

Same goes for umbrellas. At the time, I figured she must have been hit with one because she was skittish. No, she just never saw them and was never properly introduced. But in both those instances, "stories" excused behavior that could have been corrected.

bossdog08
Newborn Bully

Postby bossdog08 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:11 pm

That's a crazy story about her holding it like that, but I agree - I've seen dogs that were strictly outside dogs and never yelled at for doing whatever where ever, but still acted embarrassed about it. Is there no dog behaviorists here to explain it all?

tigger
Newborn Bully

Postby tigger » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:15 pm

mr. beefy wrote:
jlphilli wrote:

My argument against this:

Many, many years ago I adopted my first dog, a puppy, from the city shelter. She was a cattle dog/chow mix, about 6 weeks old.

I kept her inside and confined for a few days with newspaper in part of her habitat for the #1 and #2. For three days, she maybe piddled twice. On day 4, I took her outside. She immediately ran to the very furthest back corner of the yard, ran behind a bush, and took her first crap in three days, ashamed look on her face.

This puppy most likely was not abused and reprimanded during the potty training stage, as she has been barely weaned and spent a few pivotal days in the shelter, she was just hard-wired that way. I have no idea why, but she was like that her whole life, always creeping into the bushes and hiding her mess.

Also, she was an exceptionally clean dog.

Personally, I think it's kind of dangerous to "tell stories" about our dog's pasts. For instance, i was convinced this particular dog didn't like black people because she must have been abused by one before I got her. It never occurred to me, until years later, that maybe it was because she never met any.

Same goes for umbrellas. At the time, I figured she must have been hit with one because she was skittish. No, she just never saw them and was never properly introduced. But in both those instances, "stories" excused behavior that could have been corrected.

Re-reading it, I see where the insinuation is. But, I never said all. Making a flat statement like that would be erroneous, not to mention hypocritical since the first part is about my deceased female. I was simply trying to giving a typical explanation. My bad for not relaying or wording it better in the first place.

bossdog08
Newborn Bully

Postby bossdog08 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:33 pm

I didn't think you were saying ALL dogs at all, but there are still those dogs that act like that without ever being harshly treated.

mr. beefy
Adolescent Bully

Postby mr. beefy » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:53 pm

tigger wrote:Re-reading it, I see where the insinuation is. But, I never said all. Making a flat statement like that would be erroneous, not to mention hypocritical since the first part is about my deceased female. I was simply trying to giving a typical explanation. My bad for not relaying or wording it better in the first place.

Exactly. Re-reading myself I saw the quote was taken out of context.

Still, think it's very common for people who don't own dogs, or are very new to dogs, to think like that. Of course there are obviously cases where dogs are nervous about going because of past harsh treatment, but that's not always the case.

I wonder, it seems to me this is more of a female dog thing than male dog thing. My male dog looks embarrassed when he's doing #2, but he' kind of a wimp lol

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:01 pm

bossdog08 wrote:I didn't think you were saying ALL dogs at all, but there are still those dogs that act like that without ever being harshly treated.

My female has never been harshly treated for going in the house because she's never gone in the house. And I didn't go out to watch her poop, just happened to wonder where she was and found her behind the garage. I even caught myself saying "Oops, sorry!" and leaving her to her poopiness.

Ntchwaidumela
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Ntchwaidumela » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:31 pm

Hiya All-

Jake's normal routine is:

I let him outside to "potty"
He will do a 50yd. zoomie
Then he will go to one of the corner bushes of the yard
Deposits some of his logs right on it (doesn't feel ashamed or care if I'm watching)
When done will proceed to scratch the ground will all four legs and has that proud look that says "Thats right . . . whos your daddy?!"
The End

:peace:
E

Return to “Health Issues”