How to build muscle?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

How to build muscle?

Postby Savage Destiny » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:21 pm

So I just LOVE the look of muscled up bullies, and my dream for the summer now what Riddle is finished growing was to work her hard and get her looking really nice. But... so far my efforts are in vain! This is as muscled as she's gotten:

On my workdays, we go for a 1-2 hour jog in which she gets to run and play the entire time with my friend's husky mix. After work, I take her swimming at a nearby pond for at least an hour. I alternate making her launch into the water for toys, swim back, and haul herself out, and getting in the water to make her swim nonstop for 10-15 minutes. On my days off we drive an hour or so to a spot we can hike into a lake that nobody knows about (there's not even a trail to it) and we spend all day swimming. Sometimes friends come with us, and I'll swim way far out and have her tow me back.

She LOVES all of this, and she's never been so well exercised, but the muscle tone isn't there. Do you guys have any tips, or is she just one of those dogs that never looks muscley?

GSDBulldog
Addicted to PBF

Postby GSDBulldog » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:30 pm

How long have you two been following this routine?

Swimming is a great exercise, as is jogging and walking. Honestly, it takes time to build muscle and exercise is only a part of the equation. What food are you feeding?

Granted, genetics probably plays the biggest role, but any dog can tone up and look great.

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:45 pm

We've been doing the morning routine since May, and the swimming started in June when it was warm enough for her to be in the water. She got about as muscled as she is real quick, and then just quit building it.

Riddle eats a homemade raw diet. Roughly 1-2lbs of meats and meaty bones per day, plus veggies/fruits, raw eggs, raw honey, fish oils, coconut oil, canned sardines, and organ meats.

GSDBulldog
Addicted to PBF

Postby GSDBulldog » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:51 pm

Maybe up the duration of the work outs and vary them a bit?

When I need to get a dog in shape, walking has given me the best results. I use a good, sturdy harness and allow the dog to pull as much as they want. About 4-6 miles a day (Well, before I started working lol)

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:07 pm

I think I'm going to start biking with her in the mornings.

I have heard the tip about letting them pull on a harness before... but I've put so much work into getting her to walk nicely on a leash! lol I really don't want her to think its okay to pull again.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:31 am

Don't underestimate good old fashioned hand walking. :thumbsup:

InBearsMemory
Bully Ambassador

Re:

Postby InBearsMemory » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:08 am

Kingsgurl wrote:Don't underestimate good old fashioned hand walking. :thumbsup:

Word up! :thumbsup:

The harness idea that GSD mentioned is a great way to get your dog in shape. If you add a long line (make sure that it is legal in your area) of let's say 25 ft. and let the dog roam a little and call it back to you every now and again you are almost doubling the actual distance walked.

Amie

Postby Amie » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:17 am

All of the exercises above are good, and you can try a different harness for the times you want her to pull a weight - the dog really will learn "it's okay to pull in this harness but not in my collar" if you're consistent about it. Additionally, if you're standing next to her and asking her to pull what's behind her, that's very different from her pulling on the leash attached to a collar. There will be an adjustment period, I'm sure, but I don't think it would permanently destroy all your training.

To be fair to the pretty girl, I can't think of a lot of dogs that would look super muscled just standing still like she is in the photo you show - the muscles aren't engaged enough.

chewbecca
Addicted to PBF

Postby chewbecca » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:28 am

Do you have a way to work her on a flirtpole or a springpole?

I typically walk Ella probably about 2 miles a day (give or take) and then I sometimes use a flirtpole on her. I've recently also set up a springpole for her.

I can already see muscle improvement in her, but, yes, it DOES take time.

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:16 am

I thought about a flirt pole, but the problem is we don't have a fenced yard and there's not enough space in our house for her to jump and chase without hitting things.

Maybe I'll look into getting some rollerblades and a harness so she can pull me.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:22 am

Taking another pound or two off will help show off the muscle she does have. I'm not seeing ribs yet, so you might be covering her up a bit too.

InBearsMemory
Bully Ambassador

Re:

Postby InBearsMemory » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:41 am

Savage Destiny wrote:I thought about a flirt pole, but the problem is we don't have a fenced yard and there's not enough space in our house for her to jump and chase without hitting things.

Maybe I'll look into getting some rollerblades and a harness so she can pull me.

We don't have a fenced it yard either and my boy and girl play flirtpole pretty much on a daily basis. We bought a 50ft. climbing rope, a bull snap and two rope clamps and made a long leash out of it with a loop on one end big enough to slip over my head and shoulder. That way I have both hands free to use the flirtpole and the dog has tons of room to run around and still can't get away.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:40 am

as Misskiwi stated, she might need to loose a couple pounds?
have you tried supplementing her with Vertex along with her exercise regime?
she is very pretty, shiney and looks in super health :inlove:

angus
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby angus » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:34 pm

Her diet sounds very good but she may be getting too much to eat for the amount of work she is doing. Either up the exercise or reduce some of the food. She is most likely getting too much fat in her diet. Reduce or eliminate some of these fattening foods: honey, fish oils, coconut oil, canned sardines. The exercises you are doing are all aerobic. That should help her lose weight. If you want to build muscle she needs to drag weights. I think if you added weight pulling to the other aerobic exercises you do, and adjusted her diet you will see results.

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:38 pm

When do you feed her vs. exercising? After a dog does long exercise, they need a high protein snack ("repairs" the muscle after it's exercised to be even bigger) just like any athlete.

Maybe feed before you go out on a jog, then save some protein (maybe a protein supplement or a small liver snack?) after the run. Or feed half of the meal before, and feed half after.

That may help.

Return to “Health Issues”